Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BobDiggler76
    • By BobDiggler76 14th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BobDiggler76
    New car both not what I ordered AND damaged
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    New car both not what I ordered AND damaged 14th Mar 17 at 9:31 AM
    Hello, my first post here - I'm at my wits end, not slept all night because I'm so angry.

So, 2 weeks ago I went into my local Honda dealership to purchase a new car. The model I was looking for was in the showroom as a brand new unregistered car. Excellent I thought, I can have that one!
    However, upon inspection it had several quite deep scratches on the car (both doors, front bumper, etc), presumably from the car being in the showroom for a few weeks people getting in and out of the car.
    Anyway, I started the negotiation that I wanted a NEW car from the factory stock, absolutely not the one in the showroom with scratches on it (because when I'm paying £33k for a car, I want it perfect). The salesman agreed that they would source a new car from the factory and the deal was done.
    So..... yesterday afternoon I rock up at the dealership at 4pm to both trade in my car and pick up the new one - only to discover upon inspection that the car presented to me was in fact the original showroom car I specifically asked not to have. They had obviously tried to polish out the scratches, but I'm a professional auto detailer so I found them straight away. Needless to say I was absolutely furious, had an exchange of words and refused to accept the car. The sales manager stated that the car was in new condition and he would not be authorising a deposit refund or £6,500.

I left the dealership at 5pm furious, threatening legal action. Note: I did NOT sign the acceptance form, they did not get my current car, and I did not take the new car.

So, question really is what are my rights and what should I do? I've clearly been lied to and misled by the dealership that simply wanted to sell the rubbish they had in the showroom, instead of doing what I asked and getting a new car from the Honda factory in Swindon.

Help and advice please. Thanks, Bob.
Page 1
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 14th Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    Ask the name of the Manager of the dealership, then ask to speak to HIS manager, if they wont return the deposit. You can go down the legal route but you need to be 100% sure that the quality of the paintwork is reasonable for a new car.

If the scratches you saw after they tried to put right constitutes the vehicle is not fit for purpose or of reasonable expected quality then ask them to respray the panels. How deep where the scratches?
    • joeblags
    • By joeblags 14th Mar 17, 10:12 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    joeblags
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:12 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:12 AM
    So they have both agreed to get you a new car from the factory and admitted the car they tried to sell you was the show room car? they fact you only bought / paid deposit was on a deal you was getting a car from the factory and not that one in there show room regardless of how much auto glym they've used!

did you pay cash or on card? id be contacting my bank to see if they can do anything if they are flat out refusing. but then on the other hand would a normal person see these scratches? the fact you are a detailer may make you more picky over something that most people wouldn't even notice, cant you just polish it out inaway youself?
    Last edited by joeblags; 14-03-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 14th Mar 17, 10:41 AM
    • 9,689 Posts
    • 6,704 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:41 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:41 AM
    OP, I'm not sure how you can expect a factory ordered car to be delivered in 2 weeks, even accounting for the fact it was coming from Swindon. It would take a minimum of 2 weeks just to accept the order.

Having said that if you have an agreement to be supplied a factory ordered car then that is exactly what you should be getting. The dealership have broke the contract and you should be entitled to your deposit back in full.

Speak to the dealer principal and if you get no joy then contact Honda customer services.

As an aside, as a "professional auto detailer" you should already know that a lot of new cars, whether direct from the factory or not, are likely to have some paint damage/blemishes. After all, this is why detailers such as yourself specifically off new car detailing/preparation services.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 14-03-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 14th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    • 4,035 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    Did they give you a order reference for your new factory car?
    • BJV
    • By BJV 14th Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 3,346 Thanks
    BJV
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    A showroom car can and often does get damaged. It happens.

It is not unusual for a car to already be on its way from factory, at the importation center, holding compound covered in protective wax or already on route so the fact that the car was going to be ready in 2 weeks is in its self nothing to be alarmed about.

A pure factory order made just for you can take months and months.

OP having been a sales manager and DP myself they will be pooping themselves. Simply reject the car and hold firm.

I would before you start spending your money on legal costs ask to speak to the Dealer Principle / General manager. I would also speak to Honda.

Honda spend mega bucks trying to tempt customers like you into their showroom and they will be happy to help as they do not want to lose you as a customer.

Also do not sign anything. Check your order and to avoid saying anything that can be mis understood from now on only communicate with the dealership via email.

If you paid with a card call the card company now, it is a little early to start a claw back but it is worth keeping them in the picture.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,076 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    Firstly, what model Honda is it? Unless it's a CR-V or Civic, it's not coming from Swindon. Even if it is Swindon-built, in two weeks, it would only be stock from somewhere. Either in the dealer chain, or in Honda UK stock.

For £33k, I assume it's a Civic Type R. Production of the old-shape Civic Type R has already stopped, so no factory order would have been possible anyway. The replacement has only just been launched at Geneva this week, so even when it reaches showrooms, there will be a significant delay in getting a factory order.

As a "professional detailer", your standards are ALWAYS going to be far higher than any average customer. You are also in a much better position to be sorting the issues you will inevitably find - and you will never be satisfied with their PDI or rectification standard.
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 14th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Muscle750
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    £33k on a Honda ...................give me strength go to your Audi dealer and do yourself a big favour
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th Mar 17, 7:39 PM
    • 15,085 Posts
    • 8,517 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:39 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:39 PM
    £33k on a Honda ...................give me strength go to your Audi dealer and do yourself a big favour
    Originally posted by Muscle750
    I'd say its a Civic Type R based on the price of it.

So £33k on the equivalent will get him something like this new -

I'm not seeing much of a step up there?

Particularly given someones choice of hot hatchback is generally a very personal, subjective thing.
    Last edited by motorguy; 14-03-2017 at 7:45 PM.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,189Posts Today

5,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin