Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dean1967
    • By dean1967 14th Mar 17, 8:32 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 23Thanks
    dean1967
    Looking to rent again after 17+ years.
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:32 AM
    Looking to rent again after 17+ years. 14th Mar 17 at 8:32 AM
    Hi

Thank you for everyone who kindly gave me advice yesterday, in my post ' a nightmare'

To recap, after nearly 18 years renting the same premises, my landlord gave me notice to vacate.I was in shock yesterday and spoke to my landlord last night to get a timescale of how long we have etc. We agreed a leaving date of no later that 27th June, so in effect 3 months.Which I thought was reasonable.
    He has also agreed to return my deposit more or less immediately so I can use it as part deposit on a new place. He is also supplying me with an, in his words ' excellent' reference.

What I have since discovered is that since 1999 things have changed in the renting market with regard to affordability checks, credit reference checks and the like.

What i would like to ask is;

My credit score is very low according to Experian, one CCJ for 99 from 2014. There are also numerous defaults from the same period but more importantly I have kept everything up to date since 2015.

Do the letting agency place more importance on the previous landlord reference and affordability checks than just the credit reference agency report? Logically I suppose that if you had a great credit file you would be getting a mortgage?

Thank you for your help in advance
    Last edited by dean1967; 14-03-2017 at 8:35 AM.
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 14th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 10,060 Posts
    • 13,823 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    No one but you can see your Experian credit score never mind use it so I hope you're not paying to see that score.

When a landlord or letting agent credit checks you as part of the referencing process all they can see if your public credit record. Your public credit record shows CCJs and insolvency not defaults.

A CCJ isn't going to look great to potential landlords it demonstrates that you have a habit of not paying your bills on time. You'll be competing for properties against people who don't have CCJs so you'll need all the help you can get. A good reference from a landlord stating that you always pay the rent in full and on time can only help.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 14th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 10,060 Posts
    • 13,823 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    Just because someone has a great credit history that doesn't mean they'll be getting a mortgage rather than renting. There are a number of reasons why someone would choose to rent over buying.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • dean1967
    • By dean1967 14th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    dean1967
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    Thanks Pixie
    Do you think getting the CCJ paid before i do a check would be prudent?
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 14th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    • 10,060 Posts
    • 13,823 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    A settled CCJ will look better than an unsettled one. I would make it clear that you have a CCJ before handing over any money for referencing. The landlord/letting agent should be able to tell you if having a CCJ means an automatic decline.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 14th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    • 2,266 Posts
    • 2,857 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    Some landlords won't let to someone who has a CCJ even if it is settled so it is a good idea to declare it before you pay any money for references otherwise you will fail the references and lose your money.

Whatever you do don't lie to get a tenancy the landlord will find out.
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 14th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 2,991 Thanks
    always_sunny
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    It would depend a great deal on where and how you will be renting. I don't believe there is one size fits all though eventually will all end up with an AST.

If you find a property on say zoopla or rightmove through a letting agency, more likely you will need to pass referencing and that is mostly based on a risk assessment.
    Defaults, CCJ, and income, etc will all count; if computer says no, that's it.
    Highly likely there's no much you can do.

Affordability is also accounted for, in London (might be different elsewhere) LA look at multiples for rent. i.e. 33 time your gross income (you earn 40k / 33 = 1212 pcm rent max).

If you look for properties through private landlords (never done it, but it's possible) they may have different criteria and be more understanding.
    Expat with an EU passport
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,404Posts Today

9,299Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin