Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 14th Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    • 130Posts
    • 60Thanks
    Mchambers
    What is the best way to backup my HP laptop to recover after any cyber attack ?
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    What is the best way to backup my HP laptop to recover after any cyber attack ? 14th Mar 17 at 8:15 AM
    Hi all,

I have a HP laptop with Window10 and Kapersky internet security. I do regular updates for windows and kapersky. I am very pleased with the PC, which is 2 years old

I have watched the BBC this morning, where they have suggested do regular backups in case of any cyber attacks, I don't do backups so I would be grateful is someone could advise what I should do. Do I need something like Nortons (is there some freeware) to recover my PC after a cyber attack ?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 14th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1,791 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    Windows 10 has built in backup and recover tools, see this link (one of many) but just make sure you back up to an external device. Some portable hard drives have built-in software to assist you.
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 14th Mar 17, 11:13 AM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:13 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:13 AM
    One question to ask is how much effort you'd accept if you do have to reinstall. Less effort generally requires that you back more up. Eg taking a complete copy of the hard disk each time means you can restore by just copying it back, but requires a disk of the same size (and multiple times that if you are going to give yourself some redundancy).

Incremental backups (backing up only what's changed since the last backup) are much faster to perform, but then when you restore you have to spend a bit longer, since you have to restore first the full backup, then each incremental piece in turn.

But you might be more likely to actually get round to performing the incremental backup (which might only take a few mins), whereas you might keep deferring doing a full backup because of the time it takes. (I know I tend to keep doing daily incrementals past the time when a weekly incremental is due, and far too many weekly backups between "monthly" backups.) So a restore could take a bit longer than originally planned. But at least I am backing up...

Also, be sure that you have a plan for how to restore the OS. Eg if your plan is based around windows tools, then you need to be able to install windows in the first place. Do you have windows media you can boot from ? (Or are you relying on a recover partition on the same disk that might have been compromised ?)

[I use linux, and would probably be upgrading the distribution at the same time anyway, and just restoring user data.]
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 14th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 7,127 Posts
    • 7,147 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    As well as a basic OS/main application backup on the recovery partition, I also backup/image and archive to bare drives using the free version of Macrium Reflect - That way I can manage all my machines nicely and restoring is a doddle.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 14th Mar 17, 1:33 PM
    • 9,530 Posts
    • 7,110 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:33 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:33 PM
    another vote for full disk images using macrium, top performer
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 15th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 1,552 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    And another +1
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 17,675 Posts
    • 13,378 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    And another +1
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Have you had a reprieve? Welcome back .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,786Posts Today

8,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin