Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 14th Mar 17, 7:09 AM
    • 863Posts
    • 1,386Thanks
    coffeehound
    Home-made baked beans?
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:09 AM
    Home-made baked beans? 14th Mar 17 at 7:09 AM
    Has anyone managed to make their own baked beans that are something like the ones that come out of a can, please?
Page 1
    • karcher
    • By karcher 14th Mar 17, 7:15 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 6,611 Thanks
    karcher
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:15 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:15 AM
    Nope...When they are so cheap to buy why bother?.

I use various types of beans in other recipes esp one with tomatoes..but baked beans out of a tin are just that and will always remain tin bought

ETA the only effort required is opening the tin, heating them up then eating...why make life difficult by trying to recreate your own
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 14th Mar 17, 7:31 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:31 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:31 AM
    Nope...When they are so cheap to buy why bother?.

I use various types of beans in other recipes esp one with tomatoes..but baked beans out of a tin are just that and will always remain tin bought

ETA the only effort required is opening the tin, heating them up then eating...why make life difficult by trying to recreate your own
    Originally posted by karcher
    Maybe because the tinned variety are full of added ingredients that noone wants to ingest?
    Maybe because the quality of the ingredients is very low to begin with.
    Maybe because they come out of a can which if its a coated can, its toxic or if its not coated you ingest too much aluminium.
    Maybe because the amount of salt and sugar in tinned beans is not something kids should be having.
    Maybe because they taste artificial.
    Maybe because the OP would just like a wholesome diet that limits manufactured rubbish.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 14th Mar 17, 7:35 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 6,611 Thanks
    karcher
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:35 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:35 AM
    Maybe because the tinned variety are full of added ingredients that noone wants to ingest?
    Maybe because the quality of the ingredients is very low to begin with.
    Maybe because they come out of a can which if its a coated can, its toxic or if its not coated you ingest too much aluminium.
    Maybe because the amount of salt and sugar in tinned beans is not something kids should be having.
    Maybe because they taste artificial.
    Maybe because the OP would just like a wholesome diet that limits manufactured rubbish.
    Originally posted by Pop Up Pirate
    Maybe...But I like them

If you don't want to eat them don't..make something else bean based instead?

Each to their own as they say
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 14th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 5,530 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    Yes - my parents disliked tinned goods, so the haricot beans I had as a child were cooked around a ham hock.
    I did the same for my kids, but by then I had learned (in the very area it comes from!) how to cook cassoulet, and I used harcicot beans in lots of recipes, especially with ham hocks, belly pork and a few sausages added.

Lots of recipes on-line, look for what suits you,especially the American recipe 'Boston baked beans'. But bear in mind:

they need long slow cooking, this is only financially worth while if you use a slow cooker, in which case you need to boil for a few minutes for food safety (I usually do 10, although it is more than needed)or use a pressure cooker

commercial baked beans have a particular sauce (involves a lot of sugar and salt) which a lot of people really like (I don't) and that is more difficult to replicate that than the bean cooking!

any pulse absorbs flavour - you really need to ensure that you up the flavour - that why they are traditionally cooked with a hock, or with very tasty left-overs. Although it is not traditional, I cook with dilutedstock.

If you are cooking for kids, or the kind of person who can tell the difference between Heinz & own-brand at 50 paces, don't try to pass them off. Just say that it is 'bean casserole', 'hock & beans' or indeed, 'cassoulet', so it is judged by its own standards!
    Last edited by jackyann; 14-03-2017 at 7:46 AM.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 14th Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    • 3,418 Posts
    • 18,630 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    Many years ago I made Boston Baked Beans. I seem to remember they took forever to cook and involved much faffing about! They were ok but I was never tempted to make them again. These days it's Branston beans in Casa Abuela!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 14th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 5,291 Posts
    • 17,994 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    My nan had a saying: 'life is too short to stuff pasta'... Italian heritage so we ate mainly a freshly prepared Mediterranean diet... but nan bought pre-prepared tortellini and ravioli because she didn't have time for the 'faff'.

The same mantra applies to baked beans. Unless there is a really strong reason to make your own (allergies for example) then I'd be sticking with the tinned varieties.

Yes, they contain added salt and sugar. Yes, they come in a can. But, in the great scheme of things, there are other ways I can think of to use my time. Each to their own.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 14th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    • 2,354 Posts
    • 29,116 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    I've made them, and will make them again, for much the same reasons as Pop Up Pirate suggests. They were delicious; certainly not cheaper than the canned variety, but very, very more-ish. It was a huge pot-full (it's a 6-litre SC) but it didn't last long!

As far as I remember I looked at a number of recipes, mostly American, and kind of averaged them out, and cooked them overnight in the slow cooker, knowing from my dear friend from Oklahoma that traditionally they're cooked overnight in a Dutch Oven dug into the embers of your campfire. Which probably gives a slightly smoky taste to the result, which I tried to emulate by using smoked paprika. I used ham stock, but we've also tried a vegetarian version so DD2 could join in, which was also very nice; I'll see if we can find the recipe again & will post a link later.

It's not a money-saver, but it is worth doing. Not sure if small children would appreciate the taste, though, if they're used to bland supermarket foods. As someone who's interested in how our ancestors ate, baked beans have a lot in common with pease pottage or pudding, and the idea may have come from a similar traditional recipe adapted to the ingredients available on the trail and/or easily carried. Spices & dried ingredients are easily carried, tins of stuff aren't!
    Angie

GC 05/17: 321.94/420
    BulkBuy Purse 2017:228.40/420

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 14th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    • 3,314 Posts
    • 10,733 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    I have eaten home-made baked beans; far tastier than tinned ones but took a while to make. Tinned ones serve a purpose and are hard to beat for a cheap, comforting meal.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 14th Mar 17, 8:24 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Thanks all, yes I love tinned beans but Pop Up Pirate put it better than I could. My health has gone downhill in the last year or so and junk food is part of the reason.

Great info, Jackyanne and thriftwizard thank you. I've been planning to buy a slow cooker anyway so that's good to hear it can be used for beans. I hope to bulk cook and freeze portions so that at least the effort is worth it.
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 15th Mar 17, 7:07 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 2,563 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Here's a pretty good recipe:
    http://www.kitchentreaty.com/slow-cooker-youll-never-miss-the-bacon-vegetarian-boston-baked-beans/
    "Save 12k in 2017" - 9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge 0.00/150.00
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 16th Mar 17, 7:02 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,770 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Ooh, that looks a good recipe fruittea, although it's going to make a lot of beans if you start off with a pound of dried ones!
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 16th Mar 17, 7:59 AM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 5,851 Thanks
    tori.k
    www.thetiffinbox.ca/2010/05/english-baked-beans-heinz-style.html
    I use this recipe but I ditch the sugar as it makes it totally inedible (as I found out with my first batch) but the sauce was good up until the point where I added the sugar
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 16th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Thanks Fruitea, that recipe does look delicious.

www.thetiffinbox.ca/2010/05/english-baked-beans-heinz-style.html
    I use this recipe but I ditch the sugar as it makes it totally inedible (as I found out with my first batch) but the sauce was good up until the point where I added the sugar
    Originally posted by tori.k
    That looks the most like a replacement for tinned. I was thinking of using stevia and Lo-Salt to make beans healthier -- do you think that would work okay? Looking forward to giving these recipes a try.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 16th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 5,530 Thanks
    jackyann
    I would begin with no salt at all, as salt can make the beans rather hard. Then adjust the seasoning.
    Personally I do find that the best way to get flavour in is to cook with dilute stock. Home made, or Marigold vege stock made up at half strength.
    Let us know how it goes - I would also say, don't forget other pulses - I cook yellow split peas (someties bought cheaper in Asian shops as 'dahl') or good old-fashioned mushy peas!
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 16th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Useful info, thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that stock. I'm going to look out for a slow cooker in the chazzers this afternoon. It can run overnight on the Economy 7 cheap rate.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 16th Mar 17, 1:21 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 3,254 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    I have made them, but it was years ago. If you have a slow cooker, then they are very cheap! Add a lump of cooking bacon for flavour. (I must try making them again. The hardest part was getting dried haricot beans.)

If I recall correctly, the sauce contained tinned tomatoes, soy sauce, muscovardo sugar and a splash of vinegar.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • Datchet
    • By Datchet 18th Mar 17, 7:33 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Datchet
    We grew one wigwam of Borlotto beans last year & dried them. We got jars & jars off them! Soaked, boiled with sage & garlic and then added to a homemade Italian Pomodoro - delicious.

When they are cooked they are 4x the size of a haricot, retain shape & have a soft skin. They are creamy and soak up flavour of the sauce.

Best was adding them to a sausage casserole or flavoured with chorizo or Italian Sausage.

This year we're growing industrial quantities !
    Last edited by Datchet; 18-03-2017 at 7:41 AM.
    "Is it that the future is so uncertain, the present so traumatic that we find the past so secure? " Spike Milligan
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 18th Mar 17, 8:29 AM
    • 5,740 Posts
    • 39,193 Thanks
    Caterina
    I have regularly made my own baked beans, but without baking, and if you fiddle with the ingredients and spices you can get to near enough the taste of tinned beans, not a money saver but healthier.

Soak 2 lbs of haricot beans overnight, then boil until cooked (around 40 mins in my pressure cooker, but it varies). In a large pan, put 2 tins of tomatoes, 1 chopped onion, a couple tablespoonfuls molasses, a good squirt of ketchup, tiny splash of vinegar and adjust to taste, enough salt to taste. Simmer and then blend with a stick blender. Drain cooked beans, saving a bit if the water, add beans to sauce. Mix and if necessary add a bit if the cooking water. Let beans sit in sauce for a while to let them absorbe flavour, then taste and adjust salt or add spices if you want, or not. Makes several 1lb jars for 4 portions. I used to freeze mine but you can refrigerate if you eat lots of beans.
    No challenges for February, just an easy life.
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 18th Mar 17, 10:19 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 9,266 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    I might try this Caterina.
    I used to make them in the years BV (before vegetarianism, so pre-1978!) But I stopped then, because I used the recipe with the ham hock.
    Since then I've made masses of different dhals etc and frozen them to use in various ways, including on toast a la bean!
    I just buy baked beans, but now I shall try your recipe - thank you!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,884Posts Today

7,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin