Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davebrady
    • By davebrady 14th Mar 17, 6:07 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    davebrady
    Broadband impossibly slow - help !
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:07 AM
    Broadband impossibly slow - help ! 14th Mar 17 at 6:07 AM
    Recently joined Talktalk for their broadband/phone deal. My broadband speed was never great, averaging 2.4 but since joining TT it has dropped to 0.8.
    After weeks of engineers checking lines and terrible customer service, its still no better. I asked to upgrade to fibre and despite having a box outside my house, apparently I can't. I told them that I would leave and get another supplier and was told that breaking the contract would cost me £138.
    Is it possible that my only choice is to stay with them for 2 years with just a 'trickle' of broadband?
    It just seems wrong that they advertise upto 17 and deliver 0.8.
    Is there anything I can do?
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 14th Mar 17, 8:19 AM
    • 9,092 Posts
    • 3,690 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:19 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:19 AM
    How are you measuring the speed over wifi ??
    or the correct way via ethernet connection .

What have they said about the line ??
    • davebrady
    • By davebrady 14th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davebrady
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    The line was tested by Openreach and sockets replaced. Its over Wifi as cant get Ethernet cable to reach where computer is (complicated house layout !). Engineer couldn't explain why speed had dropped when moving to TalkTalk
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 14th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 1,830 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    What does http://www.dslchecker.bt.com show for your address?

Your telephone number won't work as it's LLU.
    • davebrady
    • By davebrady 14th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davebrady
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    WBC ASDL 2+ 1 to 3.5
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 14th Mar 17, 1:35 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 1,830 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:35 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:35 PM
    Which exchange and cabinet?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    The line was tested by Openreach and sockets replaced. Its over Wifi as cant get Ethernet cable to reach where computer is (complicated house layout !). Engineer couldn't explain why speed had dropped when moving to TalkTalk
    Originally posted by davebrady
    You need to move the computer so you can plug it in to rule out WiFi problems first and foremost. Preferably in to the master socket behind the faceplate.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 14th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    • 15,865 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    molerat
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    Are you using a TT supplied router ?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 14th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    Robisere
    If you can lay Ethernet cable from the PC to the router, it is possible to receive a full gigabit signal over any length up to 100 meters without loss, but I recommend you buy Cat 6 cable, available here:

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat6-ethernet-cables/41845-long-length-cat6-utp-rj45-patch-leads.html#/10-color-black/89-length-90mt

If you would find it easier to run the cable along or up an outside wall, then EXTERNAL ethernet cable is also available from the same place. I have used this supplier and they are good quality cables with good delivery.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 14th Mar 17, 2:54 PM
    • 9,092 Posts
    • 3,690 Thanks
    JJ Egan

The master socket has xx speed .
    But over wifi it may be a lot less for many reasons usually users settings .
    If you measure at the master socket you at least know if you have any comeback and are able to cancel .

They do advertise UP TO with a disclaimer re individual properties .
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 14th Mar 17, 3:39 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Mister G
    When the line was checked by the OR engineer when he fitted the new faceplate, did he tell you what maximum speed the line will support? They usually do.

If he said only 0.8Mb and you were getting 2Mb before, then there may be a problem with the Talktalk LLU equipment at the exchange (contention/congestion).

Another issue could be a WiFi channel clash (your new TT router could be set up on a different channel to your old (BT?) router). If you install and run Inssider you should be able to see this.

As other have posted, you really need an ethernet hard wired connection with the router connected directly to the master socket test point to get reliable results.
    Last edited by Mister G; 14-03-2017 at 3:46 PM.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 14th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 1,830 Thanks
    lee111s
    Which exchange and cabinet?
    • davebrady
    • By davebrady 15th Mar 17, 5:56 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davebrady
    Exchange is Great Crosby - Market B Exchange
    • davebrady
    • By davebrady 15th Mar 17, 6:01 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davebrady
    Hi Guys, Many thanks for all the replies, just finished a night shift at the hospital so I will work my way through them.
    As for the Ethernet extension idea I will get one and try that although I don't hold out much hope as I have tried a Kodi box plugged directly into the router and that didn't work either.
    The socket was replaced by the engineer a week or so ago.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Mar 17, 9:37 AM
    • 581 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Hi Guys, Many thanks for all the replies, just finished a night shift at the hospital so I will work my way through them.
    As for the Ethernet extension idea I will get one and try that although I don't hold out much hope as I have tried a Kodi box plugged directly into the router and that didn't work either.
    The socket was replaced by the engineer a week or so ago.
    Try moving the computer so you can plug it in to the master socket behind the faceplate before wasting money on an ethernet cable.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 15th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Mister G
    Try moving the computer so you can plug it in to the master socket behind the faceplate before wasting money on an ethernet cable.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    I think what you really mean is move the computer to next to the router (which we assume is already plugged into the master socket) and connect with a short ethernet cable (the one that usually comes with the router).
    Last edited by Mister G; 15-03-2017 at 9:44 AM.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 15th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 1,830 Thanks
    lee111s
    Exchange is Great Crosby - Market B Exchange
    And the cabinet number? It's shown on the DSL checker linked above.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th Mar 17, 12:07 PM
    • 6,853 Posts
    • 4,013 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I had weeks of poor speed when joining PlusNet.Many drop outs and speeds too slow to turn a forum page or even load a speed tester page.

They said the router could not be at fault, but then one person said it was because of the upload speed, so I got a new one. There was a slight improvement but still lots of drop outs and slow speeds (even at 2am, when the lines are unlikely to be busy)

Eventually, before sending an engineer, they agreed to using a monitoring system, during which I had to unplug the cordless phone, to rule out interference.

They admitted the dropouts or huge reductions and claimed to have done something, but the same happened after a couple of days honeymoon.

I complained again and they again did something, not explaining what and it's been ok since then. Nowhere near as good as sky's service, but ok for our general browsing with the odd Youtube usage.

A couple of people have commented that you can't expect the same service as LLU, but you appear to have the opposite experience.
  • TalkTalk Company Representative
    Hiya davebrady,

If you use twitter could you drop my team a tweet (@TalkTalk) and we'll be able to take a look at this for you. Alternatively, you'd be able to register and post on our community forums for help.

Thanks,
    Emma
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • davebrady
    • By davebrady 17th Mar 17, 5:57 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davebrady
    Hiya TalkTalk Company Representative
    I have been in touch with your terrible customer services almost everyday for over a month now, over this. Apart from being LIED to, kept on hold for over 90 minutes, NEVER being called back by managers who promise faithfully they will call and having open complaints still not dealt with.
    How would you like to add to my TalkTalk misery?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,478Posts Today

8,489Users online

Martin's Twitter