Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Buttercup1234
    • By Buttercup1234 14th Mar 17, 5:42 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Buttercup1234
    Chance of mortgage being withdrawn
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:42 AM
    Chance of mortgage being withdrawn 14th Mar 17 at 5:42 AM
    Hi all, first time posting but long time follower, was hoping for some advice.

I'll try to keep it brief.
    I am currently purchasing a new build property. Formal mortgage offer in place, contracts exchanged and 10%transfered. No set completion date as new build.

After selling and moving out of my old property I have been having issues with with final energy bill from my old energy provider (they are trying to charge me 6x what I have used). I contested the bill and it is being investigated by their complaints department. The bill due date is today but still have no answer to my complaint. I have been told by the energy provider that the bill is on hold and I will receive no reminders/late markers until the complaint is answered.

My question is that if these cowboys are lying to me (I don't trust them) and place a late payment marker on my credit file, is the mortgage lender likely to withdraw my mortgage offer?

Thank you all for your time
Page 1
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 14th Mar 17, 8:24 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    sultanabran
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:24 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:24 AM
    I don't know how much the bill is but if it was me, I'd seriously consider paying the bill and then complaining and claim back any excess.
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 14th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    Westminster
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    Its always far less damaging to pay such a bill and argue your case later for a refund - you could send a cheque with a letter marked "without prejudice"
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the following boards: Mortgages & Endowments, Mortgage-Free Wannabe, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving and Charities.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts on there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 14th Mar 17, 10:14 AM
    • 14,700 Posts
    • 7,359 Thanks
    ACG
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:14 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:14 AM
    I agree.
    Can you imagine if your applications is one to get re-checked and it gets picked up?
    I suppose really you have to ask is it worth potentially losing a new home over? That assumes you have the money in the first place, but I would do everything to pay it and then get the money back once investigated.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 14th Mar 17, 1:32 PM
    • 909 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    rtho782
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:32 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:32 PM
    Yup, pay it, then dispute. Even if they say they won't mark it as late, they might "accidentally" do so and you might then lose the house.

Don't risk it.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: 13,000 / 15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: 6,000 / 7,500
    • Buttercup1234
    • By Buttercup1234 14th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Buttercup1234
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    Thank you all for the responses. I'll get it paid and continue to battle. Woukd you Advie signing up for my full credit report with experian so I can keep monitoring incase they pull a dirty trick?. Also do you think it would be worthwhile adding a note to the report with my complaint number just so it's logged in there that I'm contesting it?

Thanks again.
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 14th Mar 17, 2:14 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    sultanabran
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:14 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:14 PM
    You can get all 3 reports for free from various sources.

Call Credit from Noddle
    Equifax from ClearScore
    Experian from MSE Credit Club

I wouldn't bother adding a note to your credit report. I believe adding notes to credit reports can trip up automated checks requiring them to be manually checked. Plus I don't think it would serve any purpose.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,406Posts Today

6,770Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin