Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chewycov
    • By chewycov 14th Mar 17, 5:27 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    chewycov
    How on earth do you go about actually buying a property!?
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:27 AM
    How on earth do you go about actually buying a property!? 14th Mar 17 at 5:27 AM
    I'm currently at the stage where I've found a lovely little maisonette that I like, I'm hopefully going for a viewing in the next few days. My question is, what do I do if I decide I want it? I understand that I should get a mortgage in principle, but then what? Do I seek out a solicitor to take care of my offer and sorting out the mortgage? Or do I sort out a mortgage first? Really clueless, they don't teach you this stuff in school!

I'm in Scotland, I'm not sure if it's different for us than it is for the rest of the UK.

Also, I work full time (more than full time usually...) but my actual contract is a part time one, will that hurt my chances of being accepted for a mortgage?

Thanks guys
Page 1
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 14th Mar 17, 8:28 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    sultanabran
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:28 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:28 AM
    Find a mortgage advisor, get an agreement in principle, get a solicitor, find a property, make an offer via your solicitor.

Until you get an agreement in principle, you won't know how much a lender will lend you. Better to get this done so you know where you stand with affordability and your circumstances.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 14th Mar 17, 8:45 AM
    • 10,103 Posts
    • 13,888 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:45 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:45 AM
    https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/cost-timeline-for-buying-a-property-in-scotland

You'll need a solicitor to be able to put in an offer.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    • 28,449 Posts
    • 17,006 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    assume you have done the first step...

saved up for a deposit and costs
    • Hayleigh_Scotland
    • By Hayleigh_Scotland 14th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Hayleigh_Scotland
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    Where in Scotland are you? We are in Aberdeen and we used First Mortgage who have offices in Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Elgin, Falkirk, Fife & Glasgow and I'd thouroughly recommend them to take away the stress and inconvenience in applying for a mortgage!
    • chewycov
    • By chewycov 14th Mar 17, 4:37 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    chewycov
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:37 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:37 PM
    assume you have done the first step...

saved up for a deposit and costs
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    Yes I've taken care of that bit lol
    • chewycov
    • By chewycov 14th Mar 17, 4:38 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    chewycov
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:38 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:38 PM
    Where in Scotland are you? We are in Aberdeen and we used First Mortgage who have offices in Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Elgin, Falkirk, Fife & Glasgow and I'd thouroughly recommend them to take away the stress and inconvenience in applying for a mortgage!
    Originally posted by Hayleigh_Scotland
    I am indeed in one of those locations, I'll look them up thanks!
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 14th Mar 17, 5:51 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    sultanabran
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:51 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:51 PM
    Originally posted by Hayleigh_Scotland
    I used them too and they were great for me (so far).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,250Posts Today

5,777Users online

Martin's Twitter