Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PS123
    • By PS123 14th Mar 17, 12:11 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    PS123
    WARNING: Direct Line's mistake could cost you - shared database warning
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:11 AM
    WARNING: Direct Line's mistake could cost you - shared database warning 14th Mar 17 at 12:11 AM
    Hi there

I would like to warn everyone out there about the most appalling service received by Direct Line Insurance.

I was involved in a car accident in January 2016. Direct Line incorrectly recorded the wrong year, time and location of the accident.

Despite repeated attempts asking them to correct the information because it was THEIR mistake and they admitted it on multiple occasions, I kept getting fobbed off by them to let me know that they couldn't correct their own internal database.

Their mistake not only meant that they held incorrect information about me on their database but also incorrect information on the shared database.

I renewed with Direct Line because they happened to be the cheapest brand named insurer at the time. It wasn't until I was recently searching for insurance quotes for my wife's car that it struck me that the incorrect information held on the shared database was potentially affecting the quotes that I was receiving.

It has been a serious uphill struggle. Multiple people I spoke with kept fobbing me off. It wasn't until the Executive Complaints team got involved that they started to take me seriously - or so I thought.

Despite promises made by them they still have not corrected the changes to what they call the "CUE" (Customer Underwriter's Exchange).

I write this in the hope that others who may be affected by their insurer's mistake, should hold firm with their insurance company and ask them to correct their details.

Words really can't explain how many times I have been let down by Direct Line.
Page 1
    • huckster
    • By huckster 14th Mar 17, 7:39 AM
    • 3,002 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    huckster
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:39 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:39 AM
    Direct Line can correct the record and have to because of their legal responsibilities under the Data Protection Act. If you write to the Head of Compliance/Data Protection Officer at DL head office with the details, they can quickly correct the records. It should only take a few days max.

If you have suffered any calculable losses, DL should compensate you for these. If not, it would be an easy small court claim win.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,700Posts Today

6,395Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin