Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 13th Mar 17, 11:16 PM
    • 736Posts
    • 89Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Opportunity of my old job back on a Zero Hour Contract? Is it worth it?
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:16 PM
    Opportunity of my old job back on a Zero Hour Contract? Is it worth it? 13th Mar 17 at 11:16 PM
    I was working on a casual basis previously although my contract was extended more and more although it did eventually come to an end. Although I found myself a permanent job doing 'the same' sort of thing, for more money and closer to my home. I can't go wrong with that I thought to myself.

I started a month ago which straight away was poor. I posted a thread on here regarding issues and everybody told me to leave. Although I did give it some time hoping it would improve, but at the start of my second week, I ended up injuring my hand on their faulty equipment, and management just shrugged their shoulders at me. I did actually write an email of resignation whilst I was on the sick with my hand, although I was convinced to go back, and I do need the money in a few month's time when my car insurance is up for renewal so that got me to go back.

I went back last week and met my main supervisor (he's been on the sick after operations since November so this was my first time meeting him) although after another awful shift, I told him I wanted to resign. He told me to give it another few weeks as somebody had told him how I'd been treat in his absence and he wanted to make things right and speak to some of the guys in charge although they're away till later this week.

I'm worried about my health working here, my mental health more than anything. I've just become really depressed since working there and I feel like my health is more important.

Regardless of this, last week I got an email pretty much already approving me back to my old job, it's through an agency on a zero hour contract. I did meet people from the agency and nobody was happy as they barely got shifts, although I know at peak times of the year, they take a lot of people on. But I know I was happy working there, and yes I need the money.

I was thinking of sticking out my current job for another month or two and get the money in and then leave, sticking with the agency.

The benefits of the agency is that I can choose to not pick a shift if I'm required to stick around at university for work or something, so I can be flexible. I could work mornings or weekends if they became available. But the downsides is the lack of shifts available.

My current job is permanent, and it is decent money but it's very hard, unorganised and really unsafe.

In my situation, what would you do?
Page 1
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 14th Mar 17, 6:23 AM
    • 6,155 Posts
    • 4,696 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:23 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:23 AM
    In my situation, what would you do?
    Originally posted by Jlawson118
    Develop more resilience to life.

You cant keep running away when things get bumpy you need to learn to deal with issues in a meaningful way.
    Imagination is a mental faculty that serves as a coping mechanism for those who can't or won't accept reality - unicorns and dragons and wives who don't nag, are all figments of the "imagination".

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 14th Mar 17, 8:55 AM
    • 7,996 Posts
    • 35,696 Thanks
    tea lover
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:55 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:55 AM
    You've said (here and in your other thread) that your current job in unsafe. Leave. You've only been there a few weeks and you've already hurt your back and injured your hand.

Why stay any longer and risk permanent injury?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    • 29,741 Posts
    • 18,830 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    You say its unsafe is it possible to make it safer eg suggest to whomever if you make these changes it will be safer or is it a case that this has already been tried and no 1 listens to suggestions.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 14th Mar 17, 9:36 AM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:36 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:36 AM
    Ditch them both, I'm sure they would you if needs must or they could.
    (I don't mean that in a horrible way to you) your nimble and spirited enough.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 14th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 2,577 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    Are other people regularly getting injured at work?

I'm not suggesting any injury is acceptable, but I wonder if OP might not be suited to that kind of work and that a change to something less physical/ dexterous might be appropriate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,292Users online

Martin's Twitter