Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrP1963
    • By MrP1963 13th Mar 17, 11:15 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    MrP1963
    Ford Powershift problems
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:15 PM
    Ford Powershift problems 13th Mar 17 at 11:15 PM
    I know that there have been class actions against Ford in the USA and Australia. How about the UK? I am not impressed that a regularly dealer serviced car should need £1k work to keep the transmission safe.

What is your experience? My car is an S-Max 2010 model.
Page 1
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 14th Mar 17, 6:26 AM
    • 6,153 Posts
    • 4,694 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:26 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:26 AM
    Has the gearbox had its oil changes at the appropriate intervals 37.5k or 3 years?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    • 25,435 Posts
    • 10,084 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    Class action for cars from 2011? That one?

£1k to keep it safe? Have you had the gearbox serviced?

You need to read between the lines and ignore the scaremongering hype, like the woman that feared for her life because the car dropping to limp home mode where it was retricted to 80km/h. Would she have preferred it to stop completely and leave her stranded? Limp mode if just that so you can still get home or to a safe place.

It was not life threatening.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • MrP1963
    • By MrP1963 14th Mar 17, 2:17 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MrP1963
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:17 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:17 PM
    Yes, the gearbox oil was changed at the last service in Sept. All services to date through Ford dealers.

The problem arose when the gearbox could not find third gear, Then it could not find reverse. Also, it was erratic. One moment a gentle push on the accelerator had me flying forward with wheelspin, the next the car would hardly move was bucking around and juddering, then there was an awful grinding sound from the gearbox. The garage kept the car all day to investigate and say that a new sensor is needed. That will mean the whole gearbox coming out and the car with them for three days. I have heard from other Ford owners of similar problems and Ford has extended the transmission warranties in Australia, but not quite here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,332Posts Today

7,046Users online

Martin's Twitter