Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ANNA
    • By ANNA 13th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    • 149Posts
    • 21Thanks
    ANNA
    Ebay collection only sale
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    Ebay collection only sale 13th Mar 17 at 9:52 PM
    I have an Ikea flat-pack listed for sale on ebay as "collection only", as well as stating I want cash on collection.

I don't have time to return it to Ikea. I want it to go asap, so its competitively priced.

I keep getting enquiries asking me to wrap and post. I'm a busy person, so don't feel obliged to answer these people. My terms of sale are clear.

Someone from the other end of the country has this morning clicked Buy It Now and done Paypal check-out as well. I mailed her to remind her it is collection only. She said she will cancel the purchase. She hasn't done anything, I've been charged seller fees and my listing is no longer live. I'm pretty furious as the buyer has feedback as buyer and seller in excess of 3000 & is hence pretty familiar with how ebay works.

What can I do?
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Mar 17, 9:56 PM
    • 58,989 Posts
    • 41,794 Thanks
    soolin
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:56 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:56 PM
    I have an Ikea flat-pack listed for sale on ebay as "collection only", as well as stating I want cash on collection.

I don't have time to return it to Ikea. I want it to go asap, so its competitively priced.

I keep getting enquiries asking me to wrap and post. I'm a busy person, so don't feel obliged to answer these people. My terms of sale are clear.

Someone from the other end of the country has this morning clicked Buy It Now and done Paypal check-out as well. I mailed her to remind her it is collection only. She said she will cancel the purchase. She hasn't done anything, I've been charged seller fees and my listing is no longer live. I'm pretty furious as the buyer has feedback as buyer and seller in excess of 3000 & is hence pretty familiar with how ebay works.

What can I do?
    Originally posted by ANNA
    If you domt think they are going to collect then cancel the sale but use the 'buyers address' as the reason. That gets your FVFs back and all you lose is the 20p that PayPal keep.

Also have a read of the sticky thread about the problems of collection only items.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    • 10,736 Posts
    • 7,193 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:58 PM

What can I do?
    Originally posted by ANNA
    What can you do? List elsewhere. Gumtree or local free ads, Facebook or similar?

Your buyer is perfectly savvy with how Ebay works, it seems you are not.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 13th Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 1,435 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    What can you do? List elsewhere. Gumtree or local free ads, Facebook or similar?

Your buyer is perfectly savvy with how Ebay works, it seems you are not.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup

A tad harsh - the buyer would have been aware of the collection only both from the listing and at the point they paid. I've had this done to me and it's very annoying.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    • 10,736 Posts
    • 7,193 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    A tad harsh - the buyer would have been aware of the collection only both from the listing and at the point they paid. I've had this done to me and it's very annoying.
    Originally posted by flashg67
    The buyer knows where they stand. They've paid. They clearly didn't want a cancellation, i.e. a collection. Therefore they are more savvy than the seller.

What is harsh about that? It may be annoying but it's a case of the payer knowing more than the payee.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Mar 17, 7:54 AM
    • 58,989 Posts
    • 41,794 Thanks
    soolin
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:54 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:54 AM
    The buyer knows where they stand. They've paid. They clearly didn't want a cancellation, i.e. a collection. Therefore they are more savvy than the seller.

What is harsh about that? It may be annoying but it's a case of the payer knowing more than the payee.
    So if buyer can't collect now you are suggesting OP keeps the money and the goods? Otherwise I can't see what you are suggesting .
    Last edited by soolin; 14-03-2017 at 7:56 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    • 10,736 Posts
    • 7,193 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    So if buyer can't collect now you are suggesting OP keeps the money and the goods? Otherwise I can't see what you are suggesting .
    Originally posted by soolin
    No, not at all. Read it again.

I am not suggesting anything, I am being clear that the buyer wanted postage and knew that paying by Paypal meant the seller had to either refund and cancel the sale or post the item.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 58,989 Posts
    • 41,794 Thanks
    soolin
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    No, not at all. Read it again.

I am not suggesting anything, I am being clear that the buyer wanted postage and knew that paying by Paypal meant the seller had to either refund and cancel the sale or post the item.
    I don't see what a buyer gains from this though, especially not an experienced one.

OP I am more inclined to think that this was the 'mobile view' glitch that keeps being mentioned on the community boards. Buyers on phones or certain tablets see only limited information which is so badly formatted than even obvious things can be overlooked if buyer isn't concentrating.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Mar 17, 9:05 AM
    • 10,736 Posts
    • 7,193 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:05 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:05 AM
    I don't see what a buyer gains from this though, especially not an experienced one.
    Originally posted by soolin
    The gain is finding an inexperienced seller. Hence the OP. Some sellers will simply give in and post or let the buyer arrange a carrier as they don't know what to do.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 14th Mar 17, 11:17 AM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    bxboards
    I'll mention this again - if you are offering a collection only item, and don't want people playing silly !!!!!!s with trying it on with a Paypal payment, just put a typo in the Paypal address...ie gmail.noc rather than gmail.com - puts the payment as an eggtimer and remains unclaimed as the e-mail addrss doesn't and cannot exist.

I find this focuses minds of intransigent buyers who fail to honour a seller's preferences. They will need to cancel the payment their side, and the seller isn't paying any paypal fee at all, even the 20p processing.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Mar 17, 11:57 AM
    • 25,459 Posts
    • 10,099 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    If you put the wrong email address the buyer has paid. Whats the point in that?

I would think your more likely to get a negative because they may have to claim and wait for a refund?

The buyer may have viewed the item on a phone with a small screen and not read the terms where its collection only. Thinking its a bargain with postage included.

Add a high value for the postage may deter that, but it may deter genuine buyers who think they will need to pay the postage also.

Not everyone reads the full description.
    Last edited by forgotmyname; 14-03-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 14th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    • 15,112 Posts
    • 20,517 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    Ikea stuff sells at almost the original price on my local facebook group?

Is it not possible to sell collection items on eBay with a really high courier price (e.g. £200) OR then offer cash on collection? That way if someone is stupid enough to accept such a high courier price and pay PayPal, then the hassle is more than made up for with the money you get??

Or would that not work?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,670Posts Today

8,663Users online

Martin's Twitter