Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ihaveaquestion123
    • By ihaveaquestion123 13th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ihaveaquestion123
    ebay purchase problem
    • #1
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    ebay purchase problem 13th Mar 17 at 8:56 PM
    Hi.

    I have a problem with an Ebay purchess and am looking for advice.

    I bid and won an auction (only bidder as it was poorly listed) from a private seller.

    Paid promptly, waited for notice of dispatch (auction details said 2 days)

    no notice of dispatch but thought i'd wait till ebays suggested delivery window had passed before enquiring where it was as some people dont mark as sent on ebay.

    before i did this (1 week after initial purchase) I received a very short message from the seller stating 1 bit had been misplaced (not an essential bit)

    I replied asking why it had taken a week to get to this point and what was happening as i still wanted the rest, though i asked if they could double check for the missing bit.

    seller responded rest would be sent next working day. no other details.

    I then had to chase again to see if it had been sent.

    Finally arrived and several other bits are missing, some more essential to the product.

    Asked about the missing items and basically told, thought they where there, dont have them, nothing I can do.

    Now what i have left is probably worth the purchase price but I dont have everything I paid for.

    what are my options?
    I only really see 2 but hope i'm wrong
    Option 1, keep what i've got, accept the seller is not going to help, leave the neg and move on.
    option 2, raise a SNAD dispute, but then will i end up having to send back at my own cost? dont see why i should be out of pocket for this.

    In truth I really want the items or a partial refund for the missing parts, am i right in thinking there is no way i can force this?

    any advice or other options greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 13th Mar 17, 9:05 PM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 2,849 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • #2
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:05 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:05 PM
    Hi.

    I have a problem with an Ebay purchess and am looking for advice.

    I bid and won an auction (only bidder as it was poorly listed) from a private seller.

    Paid promptly, waited for notice of dispatch (auction details said 2 days)

    no notice of dispatch but thought i'd wait till ebays suggested delivery window had passed before enquiring where it was as some people dont mark as sent on ebay.

    before i did this (1 week after initial purchase) I received a very short message from the seller stating 1 bit had been misplaced (not an essential bit)

    I replied asking why it had taken a week to get to this point and what was happening as i still wanted the rest, though i asked if they could double check for the missing bit.

    seller responded rest would be sent next working day. no other details.

    I then had to chase again to see if it had been sent.

    Finally arrived and several other bits are missing, some more essential to the product.

    Asked about the missing items and basically told, thought they where there, dont have them, nothing I can do.

    Now what i have left is probably worth the purchase price but I dont have everything I paid for.

    what are my options?
    I only really see 2 but hope i'm wrong
    Option 1, keep what i've got, accept the seller is not going to help, leave the neg and move on.
    option 2, raise a SNAD dispute, but then will i end up having to send back at my own cost? dont see why i should be out of pocket for this.

    In truth I really want the items or a partial refund for the missing parts, am i right in thinking there is no way i can force this?

    any advice or other options greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by ihaveaquestion123

    option 2 you wont have to pay you should get a returns label
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • 9,966 Posts
    • 6,699 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • #3
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • #3
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    Hi.

    I have a problem with an Ebay purchess and am looking for advice.

    I bid and won an auction (only bidder as it was poorly listed) from a private seller.

    Paid promptly, waited for notice of dispatch (auction details said 2 days)

    no notice of dispatch but thought i'd wait till ebays suggested delivery window had passed before enquiring where it was as some people dont mark as sent on ebay.

    before i did this (1 week after initial purchase) I received a very short message from the seller stating 1 bit had been misplaced (not an essential bit)

    I replied asking why it had taken a week to get to this point and what was happening as i still wanted the rest, though i asked if they could double check for the missing bit.

    seller responded rest would be sent next working day. no other details.

    I then had to chase again to see if it had been sent.

    Finally arrived and several other bits are missing, some more essential to the product.

    Asked about the missing items and basically told, thought they where there, dont have them, nothing I can do.

    Now what i have left is probably worth the purchase price but I dont have everything I paid for.

    what are my options?
    I only really see 2 but hope i'm wrong
    Option 1, keep what i've got, accept the seller is not going to help, leave the neg and move on.
    option 2, raise a SNAD dispute, but then will i end up having to send back at my own cost? dont see why i should be out of pocket for this.

    In truth I really want the items or a partial refund for the missing parts, am i right in thinking there is no way i can force this?

    any advice or other options greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by ihaveaquestion123
    Lengthy post.


    1. You cannot force a partial refund.

    2. If you raise a SNAD you don't pay for the return postage.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • ihaveaquestion123
    • By ihaveaquestion123 13th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ihaveaquestion123
    • #4
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • #4
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    Lengthy post.


    1. You cannot force a partial refund.

    2. If you raise a SNAD you don't pay for the return postage.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    sorry for length just wanted to give details.
    1 fair enough
    2. if i raise a SNAD (never needed to before) is there still room within that to discuss things with the seller or does raising the dispute mean a return is inevitable?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 9,966 Posts
    • 6,699 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • #5
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • #5
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    There is always the room for discussion, but, as a buyer you need to realise you get 8 days on an eBay discussion before there is room for escalation, that can be either of you. But ultimately, this means the buyer will be asked to return the entire order.

    A dispute may be enough to spook a poor seller into a resolution as much as it is a way to push a poor buyer into retreating.

    If you open a dispute you must be prepared to honour the outcome.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • ihaveaquestion123
    • By ihaveaquestion123 13th Mar 17, 9:30 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ihaveaquestion123
    • #6
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:30 PM
    • #6
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:30 PM
    There is always the room for discussion, but, as a buyer you need to realise you get 8 days on an eBay discussion before there is room for escalation, that can be either of you. But ultimately, this means the buyer will be asked to return the entire order.

    A dispute may be enough to spook a poor seller into a resolution as much as it is a way to push a poor buyer into retreating.

    If you open a dispute you must be prepared to honour the outcome.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    so for arguments sake, lets say i open the case, the seller asks for the return and i then decide not to and just to accept what i've got, what would happen then?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    • 9,966 Posts
    • 6,699 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • #7
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    • #7
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    so for arguments sake, lets say i open the case, the seller asks for the return and i then decide not to and just to accept what i've got, what would happen then?
    Originally posted by ihaveaquestion123
    No argument needed. The case* will time-out in the sellers favour. The buyer will be blocked from leaving feedback.

    *ebay
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 14th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    • 4,152 Posts
    • 3,586 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • #8
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    • #8
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    so for arguments sake, lets say i open the case, the seller asks for the return and i then decide not to and just to accept what i've got, what would happen then?
    Originally posted by ihaveaquestion123

    If you aren't going to return it then I would not open a case. I have had this happen to me a few times and the feedback left by a buyer is automatically removed once the case is closed in my favour.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,707Posts Today

7,471Users online

Martin's Twitter