Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ihaveaquestion123
    • By ihaveaquestion123 13th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    ihaveaquestion123
    ebay purchase problem
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    ebay purchase problem 13th Mar 17 at 8:56 PM
    Hi.

I have a problem with an Ebay purchess and am looking for advice.

I bid and won an auction (only bidder as it was poorly listed) from a private seller.

Paid promptly, waited for notice of dispatch (auction details said 2 days)

no notice of dispatch but thought i'd wait till ebays suggested delivery window had passed before enquiring where it was as some people dont mark as sent on ebay.

before i did this (1 week after initial purchase) I received a very short message from the seller stating 1 bit had been misplaced (not an essential bit)

I replied asking why it had taken a week to get to this point and what was happening as i still wanted the rest, though i asked if they could double check for the missing bit.

seller responded rest would be sent next working day. no other details.

I then had to chase again to see if it had been sent.

Finally arrived and several other bits are missing, some more essential to the product.

Asked about the missing items and basically told, thought they where there, dont have them, nothing I can do.

Now what i have left is probably worth the purchase price but I dont have everything I paid for.

what are my options?
    I only really see 2 but hope i'm wrong
    Option 1, keep what i've got, accept the seller is not going to help, leave the neg and move on.
    option 2, raise a SNAD dispute, but then will i end up having to send back at my own cost? dont see why i should be out of pocket for this.

In truth I really want the items or a partial refund for the missing parts, am i right in thinking there is no way i can force this?

any advice or other options greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 13th Mar 17, 9:05 PM
    • 4,389 Posts
    • 3,235 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:05 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:05 PM
    Hi.

I bid and won an auction (only bidder as it was poorly listed) from a private seller.

no notice of dispatch but thought i'd wait till ebays suggested delivery window had passed before enquiring where it was as some people dont mark as sent on ebay.

before i did this (1 week after initial purchase) I received a very short message from the seller stating 1 bit had been misplaced (not an essential bit)

I replied asking why it had taken a week to get to this point and what was happening as i still wanted the rest, though i asked if they could double check for the missing bit.

Finally arrived and several other bits are missing, some more essential to the product.

Asked about the missing items and basically told, thought they where there, dont have them, nothing I can do.

Now what i have left is probably worth the purchase price but I dont have everything I paid for.

what are my options?
    Option 1, keep what i've got, accept the seller is not going to help, leave the neg and move on.
    option 2, raise a SNAD dispute, but then will i end up having to send back at my own cost? dont see why i should be out of pocket for this.

In truth I really want the items or a partial refund for the missing parts, am i right in thinking there is no way i can force this?

Originally posted by ihaveaquestion123

option 2 you wont have to pay you should get a returns label
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • 10,570 Posts
    • 7,082 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    Hi.

what are my options?

Lengthy post.

1. You cannot force a partial refund.

2. If you raise a SNAD you don't pay for the return postage.
    • ihaveaquestion123
    • By ihaveaquestion123 13th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ihaveaquestion123
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    Lengthy post.

1. You cannot force a partial refund.

2. If you raise a SNAD you don't pay for the return postage.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    sorry for length just wanted to give details.
    1 fair enough
    2. if i raise a SNAD (never needed to before) is there still room within that to discuss things with the seller or does raising the dispute mean a return is inevitable?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 10,570 Posts
    • 7,082 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    There is always the room for discussion, but, as a buyer you need to realise you get 8 days on an eBay discussion before there is room for escalation, that can be either of you. But ultimately, this means the buyer will be asked to return the entire order.

A dispute may be enough to spook a poor seller into a resolution as much as it is a way to push a poor buyer into retreating.

If you open a dispute you must be prepared to honour the outcome.
    • ihaveaquestion123
    • By ihaveaquestion123 13th Mar 17, 9:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ihaveaquestion123
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:30 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:30 PM
    There is always the room for discussion, but, as a buyer you need to realise you get 8 days on an eBay discussion before there is room for escalation, that can be either of you. But ultimately, this means the buyer will be asked to return the entire order.

A dispute may be enough to spook a poor seller into a resolution as much as it is a way to push a poor buyer into retreating.

If you open a dispute you must be prepared to honour the outcome.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    so for arguments sake, lets say i open the case, the seller asks for the return and i then decide not to and just to accept what i've got, what would happen then?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    • 10,570 Posts
    • 7,082 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    so for arguments sake, lets say i open the case, the seller asks for the return and i then decide not to and just to accept what i've got, what would happen then?
    No argument needed. The case* will time-out in the sellers favour. The buyer will be blocked from leaving feedback.

*ebay
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 14th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 3,707 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:28 AM

If you aren't going to return it then I would not open a case. I have had this happen to me a few times and the feedback left by a buyer is automatically removed once the case is closed in my favour.
    • john2054
    • By john2054 2nd Apr 17, 9:30 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    john2054
    • 2nd Apr 17, 9:30 PM
    • 2nd Apr 17, 9:30 PM
    this could still go either way. you still haven't said what item it was you were buying. Return it with proof of postage, then message ebay and paypal and the seller, is my advice!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 2nd Apr 17, 10:19 PM
    • 10,570 Posts
    • 7,082 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    schools are out everyone
    • ihaveaquestion123
    • By ihaveaquestion123 3rd Apr 17, 4:38 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ihaveaquestion123
    this could still go either way. you still haven't said what item it was you were buying. Return it with proof of postage, then message ebay and paypal and the seller, is my advice!
    Originally posted by john2054
    what the item was is irrelevant. given this was 3 weeks ago I was surprised to see this thread bumped as clearly i'd have made a decision by now.

To those who did help with advice. I went with option 1, after trying to coverse with the seller through normal messages I eventually gave up (well they stopped responding at all), decided what I had was still worth what I paid, left neg feedback with appropriate stars and moved on.

thanks to those that did help when it was needed.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 3rd Apr 17, 4:44 PM
    • 10,570 Posts
    • 7,082 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    what the item was is irrelevant. given this was 3 weeks ago I was surprised to see this thread bumped as clearly i'd have made a decision by now.

To those who did help with advice. I went with option 1, after trying to coverse with the seller through normal messages I eventually gave up (well they stopped responding at all), decided what I had was still worth what I paid, left neg feedback with appropriate stars and moved on.

Your thread was bumped by someone that appeared to go on a bumping rampage yesterday and today, for no apparent reason. I wouldn't take it personally.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 3rd Apr 17, 5:27 PM
    • 58,859 Posts
    • 41,693 Thanks
    soolin

As theonlywayisup says there was an issue here on the eBay board last night with almost 2 pages of old threads being bumped. I'm away at the moment with very poor internet connection so couldn't tidy up the threads, and as it wasn't really spam I couldn't remove the posts.

Sorry if it all got a bit confusing!
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • john2054
    • By john2054 3rd Apr 17, 6:04 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    john2054
    leave me alone, thanks
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 3rd Apr 17, 7:02 PM
    • 10,570 Posts
    • 7,082 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    leave me alone, thanks
    Originally posted by john2054
    Stop posting irrelevant comments on old threads then.

If you need help, post a thread and wait for the responses.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,189Posts Today

5,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin