Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BigBird30
    • By BigBird30 13th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BigBird30
    NatWest Packaged Account Fees - Reclaim?
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    NatWest Packaged Account Fees - Reclaim? 13th Mar 17 at 8:32 PM
    Hiya

Not sure whether my mum has a case to claim against Natwest for packaged account fees.

3-4 years ago, my mum wanted to open an account for my brother who is autistic. It was to be a joint account but my mum had overruling control of the account. My brother wasn't in work but received disability living allowance, my mum's financial situation wasn't great but had a regular income coming in.

For this account, there wasn't a need for any overdraft, checkbook or anything else. Just an account for wages/DLA to go in and money to be withdrawn or payment on card. Just a simple account was all they were after.

However, Natwest were insistent that the only way that she could open an account was for her to pay £10 a month for their silver package. They explained the benefits (insurance, etc) to which she said that she wouldn't use any, but still said the ONLY way she could open an account with them.

She assumed that was her only option so opened the account. I'm sure she's able to claim the fees back but I'm not sure. Could anyone offer any guidance or advice?

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice received.
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 7,002 Posts
    • 8,610 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    Complain. Say what you've said here. See what happens.

I think you might win.
    • BigBird30
    • By BigBird30 13th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BigBird30
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    That's what I thought, just chancing it and seeing what happens. Cheeky though, the whole situation has made me a bit cross!
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 13th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 51,388 Posts
    • 21,760 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    Could anyone offer any guidance or advice?
    Originally posted by BigBird30
    MSE: Packaged Bank Accounts
    Natwest: https://www.natwest.com/global/contact-us/complain-js.ashx
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

1,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin