Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mishomeister
    • By Mishomeister 13th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 713Posts
    • 184Thanks
    Mishomeister
    Which car should I go for
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    Which car should I go for 13th Mar 17 at 8:16 PM
    I am looking to buy a first car for myself. There are 2 cars that would tick the boxes for criteria that I need. These are Nissan Micra and Vauxhal Corsa.
    So I was looking for some one to advice me in favour of or agianst buying either of the above cars.
Page 1
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 13th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    If you're thinking Micra, what about the Note?
    I don't really like ours purely as it's gutless, but I took it for it's MOT, and the tester had nothing but praise for them.
    Spoke to another mechanic as well, as his OH has one too and they're happy with it.
    Things I like about it is the headroom in the rear and the movable rear seat which gives you a larger boot or more rear legroom as required.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 13th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    waamo
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    Don't buy a Corsa. Every young driver has them so insurance tends to be a bit higher.

You may well find second and third year prices are much better if you avoid a Corsa.
    This space for hire.
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 13th Mar 17, 11:09 PM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:09 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:09 PM
    You looked at all the shopping trolleys out there and decided the Micra and Corsa were your best options?
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
    • photome
    • By photome 14th Mar 17, 6:48 AM
    • 12,602 Posts
    • 8,083 Thanks
    photome
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:48 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:48 AM
    I am interested in how you arrived at those 2 choices.

what age/value are you looking at
    • weeowens
    • By weeowens 14th Mar 17, 10:23 AM
    • 78,761 Posts
    • 9,675,931 Thanks
    weeowens
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:23 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:23 AM
    I am looking to buy a first car for myself. There are 2 cars that would tick the boxes for criteria that I need. These are Nissan Micra and Vauxhal Corsa.
    So I was looking for some one to advice me in favour of or agianst buying either of the above cars.
    Originally posted by Mishomeister
    Hi, what price level are you looking at ?
    What will be the miles that you do each year & what sort of trips eg long/short, motorways. Do you need space for luggage,shopping, buggy etc ?
    All these will determine what may the "best" for you.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 14th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    • 11,466 Posts
    • 6,418 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    Honestly these days I don't think small cars are a good idea as a first car, the way other people drive, the way they seem to try to intimidate small cars, it can't be any good for driver confidence and in some respects it's no wonder you see so many being driven around so over cautiously.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • Mishomeister
    • By Mishomeister 14th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Mishomeister
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    Budget up to £1500 and insurance up to £1100 max are the main driving factors. Only the above 2 models would fit in.
    • Frudd
    • By Frudd 14th Mar 17, 10:22 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    Frudd
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:22 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:22 PM
    Both are fairly common so finding spare parts wont be a problem. I have driven plenty of Vauxhalls, both hired and owned including some corsas. All the used ones have had their faults, but that is used cars full stop. I did once read an article that compared cars based on the % originally made that were still running. The Nissan Micra topped that list. Not sure if the new models are as good but you can say that about most cars. My advice...........

Pick the one you like the best.

There are so many variables with used cars that without lookng at the two exact cars you are comparing all advice is largely meaningless. One piece of advice I will throw in on top, try have a pot of a few hundred quid stashed for repairs. The price bracket you are looking in means things will be getting worn out, it is part of the joy of a banger. I always buy a Haynes manual for the model car I get and try to do as much work as possible myself.
    £0/£2017 extra income
    £1070 credit card
    • liltzero
    • By liltzero 14th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    liltzero
    Unless you're a girl don't choose the Micra. It's like driving a Fiat 500, no man should be near one.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 14th Mar 17, 11:37 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 2,144 Thanks
    Richard53
    Unless you're a girl don't choose the Micra. It's like driving a Fiat 500, no man should be near one.
    Originally posted by liltzero
    I used to know an Italian guy with an English girlfriend and later wife (she was my mate's sister). He would drive non-stop from Genoa to Leeds in a Fiat 500* just to be with her for a weekend. He was big, hairy and very macho, and I wouldn't like to be the person who suggested that a Fiat 500 wasn't for real men

*This was in the late 60s, so a proper one.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Mar 17, 12:31 AM
    • 25,468 Posts
    • 10,102 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    A Corsa is the cheapest to insure? Whilst looking at cars for my little one not long ago they were seriously expensive. We could have insured a 1600cc Focus for less than the 1L or 1.2L Corsa.

In the end it was a KA which has a bigger engine but a lot cheaper. Under £1000 which is not bad for her first car.

She loves it and it reminds me of driving MINI's all those years ago. Fiit to the floor and keep it there. Dont lift off unless you have arrived at your destination
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 15th Mar 17, 10:41 AM
    • 23,742 Posts
    • 50,351 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Honestly these days I don't think small cars are a good idea as a first car, the way other people drive, the way they seem to try to intimidate small cars, it can't be any good for driver confidence and in some respects it's no wonder you see so many being driven around so over cautiously.
    Originally posted by Strider590

Natural result of driving schools using small hatches and people being nervous of driving anything bigger once they've passed. I wonder if it would make a difference if tests had to be taken in a rather bigger vehicle, at least Focus sized, say.
    • anajames
    • By anajames 15th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    anajames
    Friend had Nissan Micra, i drove it once i would suggest that.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Mar 17, 12:18 PM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Originally posted by liltzero
    What should a man drive then? An M3? Lexus IS250SE-L? A high-mileage A3? Toyota Corolla?

Or perhaps a Yaris with the optional FBO pack - because everyone knows the Yaris is the most 'manly' of all sexist stereotyped vehicles.
    • Mishomeister
    • By Mishomeister 15th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Mishomeister
    Another potential option coming up is Honda Jazz. Any thoughts on this one?
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 15th Mar 17, 11:07 PM
    • 2,865 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    Bubble shape micra - last ones on a 2003 plate is a bit before.

New shape is an electrics nightmare I'm told by the micras owners club

Wife had a L reg micra for the last 6 years. Just check the MOT for mentions of rust on the cross member. These can be welded if rotted but not a deal breaker.

Miss it now its gone, great fun....
    • dannyrst
    • By dannyrst 16th Mar 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    dannyrst
    From the sound of it, cost is your main concern. Get something like an old VW Polo. If you get one under £1000, it'll probably last longer than a Corsa/Micra.
    • facade
    • By facade 16th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 2,799 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    facade
    "New" micra is a Renault Clio with a more reliable prtrol engine. Avoid.
    (Nissan Note is a Renault Modus with a more reliable petrol engine, avoid, both can be bought with the Renault 1.5 diesel- avoid)

Out of the two I'd go Corsa, but free choice I'd be looking at a Yaris
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 16th Mar 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Small car with small engine doesn't always mean cheap insurance. With 1 years NCD my 19 year old son was able to insure a 2005 2 litre petrol Ford Mondeo estate for £800 which was £600 cheaper than the 2005 1.3 litre Ford Fiesta whose engine he'd just blown up from lack of oil.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

2,862Users online

Martin's Twitter