Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jim8888
    • By jim8888 13th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 34Thanks
    jim8888
    Son's First Job Interview
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    Son's First Job Interview 13th Mar 17 at 8:16 PM
    My son has a first job interview tomorrow with a well known software firm. He'll graduate this year in maths and programming so he's well qualified, but he's just asked me what he should wear to the interview. I'm old school, so my first response would have been "suit, shirt and tie", but would that be right? Maybe as long as he was "smart casual" that would be more appropriate in this day and age, and for a software developer role. I can't see software engineers turning up to work in suits and ties, but what do you think?
Page 1
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 13th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 1,455 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    I don't think you can go wrong with traditional interview dress. They may not dress like that on a daily basis if he got the job, but for an interview it is still the norm.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 6,403 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    Sleazy
    If in doubt I'd go for 'shirt & tie' at least. Better to be over dressed than under dressed IMO.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 13th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 35,523 Posts
    • 45,721 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    Shirt, tie and trousers.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 13th Mar 17, 8:29 PM
    • 7,464 Posts
    • 7,850 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:29 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:29 PM
    Suit shirt and tie. It's an interview.

And polished shoes.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 13th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,688 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    jim8888 you must be so proud.

I think formal gives a good first impression.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 13th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 7,249 Posts
    • 15,555 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    Good luck to your son for tomorrow. Formal wear is definitely preferable in my opinion. My son has to wear a suit and tie for college, even though he is only 17. This is because the college are preparing their students for the world of work, and although many places are 'smart casual', there are still some engineering firms that have a formal dress code.

Hope your son gets the job x

ETA: I used to shortlist and interview people for a charity. I'm sure he doesn't need reminding, but your son should shake hands when entering and leaving the interview. I alos agree with the above comment about polished shoes.
    Last edited by kingfisherblue; 13-03-2017 at 9:21 PM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Mar 17, 7:49 AM
    • 28,981 Posts
    • 106,095 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:49 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:49 AM
    As the interview is today, this may be too late , but for what it's worth, I agree.

It's all down to first impressions.
    Making an effort to be smart indicates that you are willing to make an effort and go that extra inch on the first meeting, even if more casual clothing is the everyday work ethos for that company.

It also indicates that you have respect for the interviewers.

Yes, shake hands......important as shows a degree of confidence....... and make eye contact with the person you're shaking hands with.

Good luck to him!

Let us know how it goes!
    Last edited by Pyxis; 14-03-2017 at 7:51 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 14th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 13,455 Posts
    • 25,572 Thanks
    onlyroz
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    Yes, he should dress smartly. Shirt, suit and tie with smart shoes. He should also be prepared for technical questions and/or a technical test. I've attended plenty of interviews for software engineering positions and most of them had a hefty technical element. These ranged from having to write pseudo-code with pen and paper (extremely difficult), to sitting at a computer and writing a program, to completing multiple-choice programming questions, and then having a face-to-face grilling with senior programmers to assess my knowledge.

My employer uses Codility. There is a sample test here:

https://codility.com/demo/take-sample-test/
    Last edited by onlyroz; 14-03-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    • Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 14th Mar 17, 2:49 PM
    • 19,198 Posts
    • 58,335 Thanks
    Oblivion
    Make sure he offers the interviewing panel a spliff.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 11th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
    • jim8888
    • By jim8888 14th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    jim8888
    Thanks everyone, his interview seemed to go well (he did wear a shirt and tie, but with black skinny jeans and big boots!) I'm not sure if he toked a spliff, but hey, go with the flow. Appreciated all your responses.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 14th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,688 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Thanks everyone, his interview seemed to go well (he did wear a shirt and tie, but with black skinny jeans and big boots!) I'm not sure if he toked a spliff, but hey, go with the flow. Appreciated all your responses.
    Originally posted by jim8888
    So glad it went well.
    Will you let us all know if he got the job, please?
    Tips x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,095Posts Today

7,049Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin