Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • confused_landlord
    • By confused_landlord 13th Mar 17, 7:15 PM
    • 106Posts
    • 11Thanks
    confused_landlord
    Identical flats in same development being charged vastly different service charges:
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:15 PM
    Identical flats in same development being charged vastly different service charges: 13th Mar 17 at 7:15 PM
    Can anyone advise me if it is legal for managing agents to charge vastly different amounts (3 times as much) in service charge, for managing identical flats in different blocks of the same development.

Surely, the amount they charge should be somewhat related to the costs incurred for the cleaning, utilities etc and so they should have no reason to charge so much more in certain blocks...??
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 13th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 17,895 Posts
    • 14,620 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    Can anyone advise me if it is legal for managing agents to charge vastly different amounts (3 times as much) in service charge, for managing identical flats in different blocks of the same development.

Surely, the amount they charge should be somewhat related to the costs incurred for the cleaning, utilities etc and so they should have no reason to charge so much more in certain blocks...??
    Originally posted by confused_landlord
    Yes, the amount they charge should be somewhat related to the costs incurred for the cleaning, utilities etc.

It's the 'etc' that may vary.

For example, if there is more vandalism in one block I would expect the service charge to be higher for that block.

I'm sure you can think of other reasons for a variation, but three times the charge does take some swallowing.

How do the managing agents justify this difference?

Perhaps this thread would be better on The House Buying, Renting & Selling Board where there are probably people more knowledgeable in these matters.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 13th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 714 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    We do be because the blocks have different ongoing and long term maintenance issues - and some have larger communal areas/more windows

But, as wealdroam says, three times does seem a lot

I'd ask them the question
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 13th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 14,779 Posts
    • 10,586 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    Could this have anything to do with credit rating i.e. Risk?
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 14th Mar 17, 10:21 AM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 2,566 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:21 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:21 AM
    Could this have anything to do with credit rating i.e. Risk?
    Originally posted by hollydays
    No. Insurance will be a block policy, the insurer wouldn't even be aware of the individual leaseholders details. Risk (and higher premiums) may be an issue if more claims had been made in one block than the other. Or it may be nothing to do with insurance at all.

OP you should have a breakdown of the service charge. You should also be able to see the same for the other block in the estate accounts. Where does the difference arise?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

417Posts Today

4,797Users online

Martin's Twitter