Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • codemonkey
    • By codemonkey 13th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 6,513Posts
    • 23,331Thanks
    codemonkey
    Electric bikes?
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    Electric bikes? 13th Mar 17 at 8:02 PM
    For the past couple of years I've been commuting to work by train, but they've recently built a new station on my connecting line and soon most of the trains will no longer stop at my station which will mean a long wait.

The other option is to take a single train, disembark at an earlier station, then it's about a 40 minute walk. This usually ends up taking the same amount of commute time as catching the connection, so with the new timetable, it would take less time.

I've been thinking about getting a bike to reduce the time and improve my fitness a bit. But as I'm out of shape, haven't been on a bike since I was 14 and there are some hills on the route, I was considering an electric bike. Are they worth the money and extra weight? Can anyone recommend a decent starter model?
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
Page 2
    • zaax
    • By zaax 15th Mar 17, 11:57 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    zaax
    40min walk = 15 min cycle. for such a short trip get a normal one. In 6 short weeks you will wonder what you thinking about, as you will get the muscles & you will have saved £500
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 20th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 4,047 Posts
    • 2,336 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I actually do have a disability and I get tired more easily than I used to. The ride would be OK if it wasn't largely a steep hill all the way back. I haven't been on a bike for a long time and I feel like it would be less embarrassing to have the motor assist than get off and push for half the journey. From a look around, it seems you can choose the level of motor assistance so presumably that would decline over time.

Also, I like gadgets.

That being said, I haven't decided on whether to go for electric or a standard bike yet. Just considering it as an option for the moment. There have been a lot of posts on this thread making excellent points and giving me things to think about.
    Originally posted by codemonkey
    One possibility would be a retro fit motor to a standard bike - a company called cytronex make them and they're fitted in the front water bottle cage meaning you can get a proper light weight bike with a motor - depending on budget they do one that comes in at 12.7kg and you can then fit easier gears on the bike e.g. a 28 or 32 t rear which will make it easy to "spin" up the hill. They also do cycle to work but not sure on prices
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

100Posts Today

3,367Users online

Martin's Twitter