Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cashbackproblems
    • By cashbackproblems 13th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 1,675Posts
    • 640Thanks
    cashbackproblems
    Basic mortgage survery or Homebuyers for leasehold?
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    Basic mortgage survery or Homebuyers for leasehold? 13th Mar 17 at 8:00 PM
    Hi

My mortgage provider (Virgin money) has two options:

1. A very basic survey from outside £271
    2. Homebuyers report £500

CAshback on completion £300.

This is for a leasehold small block of flats built in the 70's. Is it worth paying the extra £200 for the full report?

thanks
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 13th Mar 17, 11:39 PM
    • 9,177 Posts
    • 11,542 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:39 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:39 PM
    How confident are you at spotting structural problems, or things like whether walls have been knocked down or moved? Is there Artex? It may contain asbestos - not dangerous if untouched, but you should know. Is the roof flat or pitched? Some are flat in '70s blocks - might put me off due to limited lifespan. Is there cladding on the outside? If ground floor, I might want to be sure it has a damp proof course or adequate ventilation. Windows in good nick?

You're spending probably tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds - some won't bother, but I always do - especially for the sake of a couple of hundred quid! Wouldn't even think twice.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies)
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 14th Mar 17, 12:12 AM
    • 841 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    Chanes
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:12 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:12 AM
    For the cost, a home buyers report seems fine for a flat and some extra peace of mind. If you are confident everything is sound a valuation survey may be enough.

You pay, you choose.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,956Posts Today

9,061Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin