Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stam11
    • By Stam11 13th Mar 17, 7:59 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Stam11
    Need your help- POPLA Unsuccessful - xercise4less Sheffield
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:59 PM
    Need your help- POPLA Unsuccessful - xercise4less Sheffield 13th Mar 17 at 7:59 PM
    Hi all,

Please help with this ridiculous PCN that i received from my gym, i can`t believe i lost on Popla also!

-The gym has a policy whereby you manually type your registration plate on a small ipad if you enter the building.
    - No members of staff mentioned this to me, even on the day that i used the gym for free as a "try the gym" kinda thing.
    - I then got a PCN for not manually adding my reg plate on the tablet on the day that i signed up!
    - I called the gym and was told "oh it`s a private fine you can just ignore these".
    - The receptionist said "we just scan the PCN and i will deal with it".
    -Two additional PCNs later, i spoke to a different member of staff who actually told me what i needed to do ,i.e enter my reg plate on the tablet, and how to challenge the PCN with the Premier Park.
    - By the way, there were signs on the gym but i did not pay attention as i have never thought that a parking system like that could be a thing! There are some big wordy signs that i never read, and some signs that says "visitors to the gym" you need to register your plate. I thought they meant non-members by the term "visitors".
    - Premier Park declined my challenge ,even though I mentioned exactly what i was told to mention by the second receptionist.
    - I appealed with Popla , ok I asked my gf to appeal for me who admittedly did not research the Newbies thread at all (), and lost again! What i found bizzare is that Premier Park argued that their signs do not state "visitors" when i have supplied pictures of the actual signs that say "visitors" and they still won!
    - I am still waiting to hear from the gym manager, he is obviously avoiding my calls as I was promised a callback from him twice now.

I really do not want to pay 3 different PCNs (total £300) for not tapping my reg plate on a stupid tablet screen!

Please help! Gf is really worried that we will have to pay for all court fees if we lose (£2,000+) she says!
    Last edited by Stam11; 13-03-2017 at 8:18 PM.
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 13th Mar 17, 8:03 PM
    • 13,644 Posts
    • 16,752 Thanks
    Redx
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:03 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:03 PM
    nothing you can do now apart from get the GYM or landowner to cancel the charges

otherwise its wait 6 years until they cannot take it to court , and deal with any court papers if an MCOL or MCOIL`s are issued

there is no magic bullet solution

3 pcn.s would total between £1 and maybe £500 at most if you lost in court
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 45,046 Posts
    • 57,680 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    Gf is really worried that we will have to pay for all court fees if we lose (£2,000+) she says!
    Your gf is wrong. As Redx says, less than £500 to pay, in the end, if 3 PCNs were upheld by a Judge. and we almost never see anyone lose here, as long as they follow the procudures explained in the NEWBIES thread (in this case you need to read posts #2 - all about defending a small claim properly and #4 - all about ignoring debt collector letters first).
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Half_way
    • By Half_way 13th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 3,492 Posts
    • 4,900 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    Your Gf is completely wrong, if it does see court, it will be on the small claims track, where costs are limited ( to say the least) in fact even if a PPC wins, they lose as it costs them more to pursue through court than they can legally claim back.

As for what the Gym has told you,. you must get this in writing some how, even if it is a signed letter with what you have stated above, then signed at the bottom by a member of staff representing the Gym.

Contact the Gym again, tell them that they are jointly liable for the actions of their agents and as such they must cancel, you can also state that you are holding them liable for the parking charge, and all the costs/stress that it is causing you as a direct result of their agents actions.

If your not sure on what to say, write up a little script to go in with them, follow this meeting up with an email or a letter, post both on here so that they can be looked at.
    with a landowner cancellation, especially when going in face to face you need to go in with the correct approach and say the right things, otherwise you will get the corporate brush off.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

918Posts Today

6,753Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: Is your vote already locked in? Have you decided who you will vote for in the General Election?

• RT @gabyhinsliff: When you're so desperate for Frexit to shore up Brexit that you're kind of relaxed about fascism https://t.co/yLmdqNHeHu

• Morning. I'm on my way to @thismorning first for "five ways to put £100s in your pocket" then an open (what I call brown trouser) phone in!

• Follow Martin