Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Blinky24601
    • By Blinky24601 13th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Blinky24601
    Refused critical illness cover
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    Refused critical illness cover 13th Mar 17 at 7:55 PM
    Hi,

Me and my partner are in the middle of buying a house and have applied for life insurance and critical illness cover. However after having applied, they have refused cover for me. I am perfectly healthy, the only thing I declared was that I had some anxiety issues 2-3 years ago but not on any medication and no problems since, but the reason I think I was declined is because I have had a mildly abnormal smear in the last year and had surgical treatment for it a month ago. These are the only two things I needed to declare. I know it's probably because it is so recent. Is it the case that I may be able to have this cover in a year or two once this is way in my distant medical past? 5
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 13th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 15,044 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    ACG
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    Have you called up the insurance company to ask why they have declined?
    It might be worth speaking to a broker, we have access to maybe 10 companies and so we can find a compant who may be more open to your circumstances.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 14th Mar 17, 7:27 AM
    • 31,578 Posts
    • 16,869 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:27 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:27 AM
    Have you been declined, or deferred for x amount of time until a regular smear test result is available?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Weighty1
    • By Weighty1 14th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Weighty1
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    Companies have different underwriting guidelines that they follow. Just because the company you applied to refused the CIC doesn't means others will. I had a client recently who'd had several abnormal smears and Zurich were very accommodating in offering cover.
    • starrystarry
    • By starrystarry 14th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 2,357 Posts
    • 5,097 Thanks
    starrystarry
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    When is your repeat smear due? If you only had treatment last month you've probably not had a repeat smear yet. Are you on 6 or 12 month recall? Most insurers will want to wait until you've had a normal smear test result, so you may need to wait until your next smear has been done.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 14th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 7,873 Posts
    • 4,696 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    Many, many people have anxiety issues (with good cause) that are not serious enough to need treatment, so it's almost certainly the smear test result and a need for clearance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,053Posts Today

7,257Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin