Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cheesetoast
    • By cheesetoast 13th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 246Posts
    • 162Thanks
    cheesetoast
    "Pay In At Any Bank"
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    "Pay In At Any Bank" 13th Mar 17 at 7:55 PM
    I've just had a new paying-in book from Lloyds Bank, and it says on the inside:

"You are welcome to pay money into your account at any branch of any bank in the UK"

So... is this just a Lloyds thing? Or is this the same for any bank that issues "Bank Giro Credit" books?

Surely, say, HSBC or Barclays wouldn't be too happy if I used their branches to pay into a Lloyds account? And would this mean that I could use, say, Lloyds branches to pay into a Tesco Bank account?
Page 1
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 13th Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 831 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    Once upon a time you could actually do this with no problems.
    These days if the other bank actually accepts to do this for you they will charge you.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 13th Mar 17, 8:28 PM
    • 11,831 Posts
    • 10,198 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:28 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:28 PM
    Not sure about Lloyds but with HSBC I can pay in to any post office with no charges and money appears instantly on my account.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 13th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    I think Lloyds are presuming an awful lot of altruistic goodwill on the part of their competitors and are setting up their customers for frustration and disappointment.

Yes, it's possible to pay any credit in at any bank (imagine the hassle paying bills with giro slips if this wasn't the case) but why on Earth should a bank consent to use its facilities and manpower for the benefit of non-customers?
    • cheesetoast
    • By cheesetoast 13th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    cheesetoast
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    I think Lloyds are presuming an awful lot of altruistic goodwill on the part of their competitors and are setting up their customers for frustration and disappointment.
    Originally posted by Flobberchops
    This is exactly what I was wondering
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    • 6,394 Posts
    • 7,837 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    If a bank is in the BGC system they have to accept the payment.

But they can charge for it.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 13th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 1,000 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:57 PM

But they can charge for it.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    I think they will only accept cash from you these days.

Nearly 30 years ago I used to cash cheques for a friend. These were Bank of Scotland cheques and I paid them into my Royal Bank of Scotland account at a Midland Bank branch (now HSBC), because it was the nearest branch to me. These cheques were always covered by my friend's cheque guarantee card number. Now that cheque guarantee cards no longer exist, I suspect banks won't allow you to pay cheques into other banks because there's no guarantee the cheques will be paid and it would cause too many complications if they bounced.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 13th Mar 17, 10:39 PM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 2,968 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:39 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:39 PM
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    They don't have to if they don't want to. I wasn't aware there was any requirement for all members of the BGC system to accept anyone's credits for any reason.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • alanq
    • By alanq 14th Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    • 3,593 Posts
    • 2,295 Thanks
    alanq
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    In the days before I paid my utility bills by direct debit, I used to pay with a paying in slip at the bank. The utility company had an arrangement with one bank where payments were collected free of charge. I presumed that the utility company picked up the fee, as if I chose to use a different bank, other than one with which I had an account, I would have had to pay for the service.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Cristy Jones
    • By Cristy Jones 14th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cristy Jones
    they will accept it but they will definitely charge you
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 14th Mar 17, 1:02 PM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    they will accept it but they will definitely charge you
    Originally posted by Cristy Jones
    They won't necessarily.

If it's part of the same group e.g. NatWest / RBS or if you are also a customer of the bank in question, they will usually waive the transaction fee.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,524Posts Today

8,464Users online

Martin's Twitter