Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Snowedunder
    • By Snowedunder 13th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 152Posts
    • 31Thanks
    Snowedunder
    Why Me?
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    Why Me? 13th Mar 17 at 6:27 PM
    Several weeks ago several of my neighbours and I had POLICE AWARE notices stuck on our parked cars. 'obstructing the pavement and or obstructing a driveway' were to 'reasons' hand written on these notices. Quite by accident, I was driving a courtesy car, and I had obstructing a pavement written on my notice, whilst the garage who owned the car were told over the telephone that their car was obstructing a driveway, MINE!!!

OK, local police showed me a photo of the parked courtesy car which was overhanging the pavement by a few centimetres - the wheels were on the road not the pavement, but he advised that I do not park there in the future. This was a blow as I am disabled and had parked in that spot for 30 years!!

So now I park further along the road by a piece of grass, not outside anyones' home, but now a neighbour much further down the road is parking in the spot I vacated, right in front of my driveway.

OK, so the police will give her a warning, NO upon phoning the police (not 999) i am told that the police do not get involved in these issues - when I explained what had gone on, she could not explain why the police had attended and placed the Police away notices.

Local officer could not offer much help either.

Council not interested either. So where to from here!
Page 1
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 13th Mar 17, 9:03 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:03 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:03 PM
    If you've been ok for 30 years with only one bit of hassle, I'd carry on parking back where you were. The police can and do get involved - I had a fine for a similar thing for 'causing an obstruction' when parked outside my own house. Wouldn't mind but it was (still is) a rough neighbourhood full of druggies and roaming hoards of kids - must have been a quiet night that night.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 13th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,420 Thanks
    waamo
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    Where to from here? Is the question asked. The answer is back to where you've been for 30 years.
    This space for hire.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 13th Mar 17, 11:42 PM
    • 11,073 Posts
    • 6,155 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:42 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:42 PM
    Is it possible someone got hold of fake Police notices?

It would be a pretty elaborate stunt I admit......

If someone parked across your drive, the Police wouldn't help, so this makes no sense.

Hell perhaps your neighbour has a Police friend who did them a favour to get them a parking spot????
    Last edited by Strider590; 13-03-2017 at 11:50 PM.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 14th Mar 17, 12:05 AM
    • 2,415 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    Richard53
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:05 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:05 AM
    Is it possible someone got hold of fake Police notices?
    Originally posted by Strider590
    I was wondering this. The handwritten 'reasons' don't inspire confidence, for a start. Also, I have never heard of the Police using 'Police Aware' notices in this way. They are usually put on broken down/abandoned/crashed vehicles to deter people from phoning in with something they know about.

I suspect someone has got a supply of the tape or notices (or has cleverly made their own) and is using them to create a little local disturbance.
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 14th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    • 11,073 Posts
    • 6,155 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    I was wondering this. The handwritten 'reasons' don't inspire confidence, for a start. Also, I have never heard of the Police using 'Police Aware' notices in this way. They are usually put on broken down/abandoned/crashed vehicles to deter people from phoning in with something they know about.

I suspect someone has got a supply of the tape or notices (or has cleverly made their own) and is using them to create a little local disturbance.
    Originally posted by Richard53
    Except this

OK, local police showed me a photo of the parked courtesy car which was overhanging the pavement by a few centimetres - the wheels were on the road not the pavement, but he advised that I do not park there in the future.
    How did this take place? A uniformed officer? Someone posing as the Police?

OP phoned the Police and they knew nothing about it, that's just not possible with all the reporting and paper work they deal with these days.

A very odd story this one......
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

243Posts Today

2,212Users online

Martin's Twitter