Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DoubleMaximum
    • By DoubleMaximum 13th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DoubleMaximum
    Savings/ISA Newbie - Need Advice!
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    Savings/ISA Newbie - Need Advice! 13th Mar 17 at 6:13 PM
    Hi all!
    Need some finacial advice, and thought here would be a good place to get it!

I'm 31 years old - no debts (or student loans as I did not to go to University) with a healthy wage.
    I recently got a bonus of and, for once in a very long time, I'm able to stay out of my Overdraft and put at least £200 per month away. But I was thinking:-

- I was thinking of getting Natwest's Help-To-Buy ISA as (one day) I'd like to buy my own place, or a Cash ISA (as it has the flexibility of taking money if I need to) and possibly do that with another bank? Given I've got no outstanding debts/bad credit, are there better places I go to get higher interest savings?

- I've never had/owned a Credit Card ever, should I get one, even if I have no immediate plans to use one?

Before I take next steps, I really want to see what else is out there in terms of making any savings I do work harder - apprecaite anything you all can offer

Thanks all in advance!
Page 1
    • badger09
    • By badger09 13th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 5,074 Posts
    • 4,273 Thanks
    badger09
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    Have a read of this

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account

HTB ISA is a good idea, look for the one paying the highest interest.

Forget about a bog standard cash ISA. The best interest rates are on regular savers and some current accounts. Nationwide FlexDirect & Flexclusive Reg Saver are just about the best at the moment.

Getting a credit card and managing it well is a good idea. Set up a direct debit to pay off the balance in full every month so you don't end up paying fees & interest on a missed payment, not to mention an adverse effect on your credit history.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,176Posts Today

8,286Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin