Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boinkit
    • By boinkit 13th Mar 17, 6:09 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    boinkit
    Two Council Tax bills for 1 house
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:09 PM
    Two Council Tax bills for 1 house 13th Mar 17 at 6:09 PM
    I bought a property in September 2016, and in November I started receiving overdue council tax bill notifications. I turns out that the property I bought has 2 council tax bills for it. One is for the property number 27, and the other is for 'the annexe'.
    This was the first I knew about this, but it seems that the previous owner had it down as being 2 properties for council tax purposes, but didn't tell me when I bought it. I now have to pay 280 per month for one bill and another 220 for another bill!
    I spoke to the estate agent who I bought through and they said they were unaware. I spoke to the solicitor I used to manage the purchase and they said it is nothing to do with them as it wouldn't come up in their searches etc.
    I am trying to get the 2nd bill removed, but this is proving difficult as the Valuations office said that I could rent out a room and have someone using the ensuite bathroom (currently ripped out) off of the master bedroom - which is mad.
    Not sure what to do - or who is to blame here. Any advice as I am already over 1200 quid down since moving in because of this....
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 42,346 Posts
    • 49,200 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    There are 2 choices.

Pay the bills, or fight to get the Valuations Office to remove the 2nd charge.

CIS may be along soon to advise how best to do that. Meanwhile, research the law and procedures
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 13th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    rtho782
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    Council will consider it a property and charge CT on it unless and until the VOA tell them otherwise.

It's the VOA you have to persuade, I'm not sure how you go about that.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 13th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 9,878 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    How clear was it when you purchased that there was the possibility of someone living separately (separate kitchen? Entrance etc)

You can apply to the valuation office to have it put back into one dwelling. Though the council tax is likely to be rebanded higher due to that as it's now one big property rather than two small ones.

Not sure what renting a room out has to do with the valuation office? You can't rent the annexe out as an annexe without a council tax liability, but renting one bedroom?

It should be fairly clear whether a building is two dwellings or not. You've not really given us much info to evidence.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 10,053 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    To qualify for separate council tax assessment, an annex needs facilities for washing and for the preparation of food plus room(s) for living/sleeping and WC, it also needs to have access which is not through a room of the main house.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 13th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 9,878 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    To qualify for separate council tax assessment, an annex needs facilities for washing and for the preparation of food plus room(s) for living/sleeping and WC, it also needs to have access which is not through a room of the main house.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Exactly, it should be fairly obvious it's two dwellings so not something you could easily miss.

There's not enough info but if the valuation office are saying no it's likely that you're not doing enough work to actually make it back into one dwelling. You need to provide more information on how the property is set up.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • CIS
    • By CIS 13th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 10,125 Posts
    • 5,801 Thanks
    CIS
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    What does the 'annexe' currently consist of ?

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,108Posts Today

6,869Users online

Martin's Twitter