Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wadewade
    • By wadewade 13th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    • 697Posts
    • 129Thanks
    wadewade
    Virgin email problem
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    Virgin email problem 13th Mar 17 at 4:47 PM
    I have used Blueyonder (Virgin) email for a long time and have found it satisfactory.
    Recently however I am finding that logging on has become very slow and, quite often fails and I receive a "can't connect" message.
    Can I update this email application? Has everybody got the same problem?
Page 1
    • Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 13th Mar 17, 6:00 PM
    • 19,198 Posts
    • 58,335 Thanks
    Oblivion
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:00 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:00 PM
    Not for the first time Virgin Media are experiencing serious problems with their email system which is simply not fit for purpose. This company is rapidly becoming a sick joke.

I would suggest you look at creating new independent email accounts outside of the ISP world. Google's Gmail is excellent.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 11th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
    • digp
    • By digp 14th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 1,955 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    digp
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    It is not just their email. They are a joke period.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 14th Mar 17, 11:18 AM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:18 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:18 AM
    It is not just their email. They are a joke period.
    Originally posted by digp
    That's a bit sweeping......You should add that it's just your opinion.
    I've never had any trouble with them or their services.
    That said, I'm sure the OP is not interested in your grievance or my praise....
    So, back on topic....email.....General advice is to stay away from any ISP mail. They are generally flaky and have problems as you describe regularly.
    Use GMX,or Gmail and you could always look into hosting your own.
    It's easy to pick up your existing email from any of these methods while people are familiarising themselves with your new email address.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 14th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 2,314 Posts
    • 1,929 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    Happy with Virgin apart from the email. I am ntlworld, and everyday its slow and server not responding. I have outlook email addresses as well so 3 to chose from. But ntlworld was my first so bills tend to go there. Oh I never seem to get any spam on it.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 14th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    Happy with Virgin apart from the email. I am ntlworld, and everyday its slow and server not responding. I have outlook email addresses as well so 3 to chose from. But ntlworld was my first so bills tend to go there. Oh I never seem to get any spam on it.
    Originally posted by donnac2558
    I find it better to collect ISP emails via a client rather than the web portal of their email service. That way, even if it's a bit sluggish, you don't tend to notice...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 14th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    We are on Virgin (formerly blueyonder) Broadband cable. OH uses Outlook. He seems quite happy. I used to have Outlook Express which I loved but sadly MS basically withdrew it from the market (sob). I transferred to gmail, not as user friendly from my point of view, but at least it is in the cloud and you can read it anywhere, also less spam overall. I haven't noticed it being particularly slow on Virgin.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

782Posts Today

6,611Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin