Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • c00lbeans
    • By c00lbeans 13th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 34Thanks
    c00lbeans
    How to market house
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    How to market house 13th Mar 17 at 4:33 PM
    I'm having to relocate for a new job, so our house is on the market.

Its been on the market for a month, with a 4 or five viewings in the first 2 weeks then nothing for the last two.

The house has a couple of issues that we cant do anything about, its close to an airport (though not really affected by the noise) and on an unadopted road.

My plans are to move in april, clear out the house into storage and stay with family for the first few months of the new job, then rent/buy depending on if the house has sold.

I need to redo the photos as the current ones arent brilliant and
    Once I've cleared out the house I was going to repaint quite a few of the rooms (they do need it)

My main question is, is it better to clear out all the furniture, paint then have the photos done of a completely unfurnished house, or should I declutter, paint, and leave furniture in situe for the photos, to sort of show it as a home?

Any advice welcome
Page 1
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 13th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 2,493 Thanks
    chelseablue
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    Where abouts is the house? Do you have a Rightmove link you can post here?
    Baby Boy born May 2014

Mortgage starting balance 26.02.16 £231,294
    Mortgage after Year 1 £225,078
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 13th Mar 17, 4:44 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:44 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:44 PM
    I would normally advise leaving a house furnished as much as possible.

There is also often little point in decorating, especially if you're not getting very many viewings. You need to get prospective buyers through the front door first.

As chelsea suggest, post a link up and you will no doubt receive a few suggestions.
    • c00lbeans
    • By c00lbeans 13th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    c00lbeans
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    Sorry, failed to post link

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64616405.html

its been significantly decluttered since these photos and the gardens been tidied (bathroom sealants also been demoulded)
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 13th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    Given it is possible to find out what you bought the property for less than 4 years ago, has the market really gone up by that amount?

It would also seem that the property did not sell tremendously quickly last time around, as it first went up for sale in April 2012, and the sale did not complete until July 2013.

It is difficult to be certain, as I am not familiar with the market conditions in your area, but maybe the price you are asking is proving to be too optimistic.
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 13th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    I'm not that far away!
    The market here has risen but as you've said the flight path will put people off.

Personally and please don't take any offence to this
    Declutter pic 7 room
    Clean tiling /bath in pic 13
    Room in pic 17 looks small with all the furniture

All the bathroom products on window ledges... In the range in Southend you can get stick on bath tidies that will adhere to tiles and make the bathrooms look like there isn't a storage problem

The outside is very grey at the front, maybe a plant pot either side with colourful bedding plants?
    Mortgage £67 615 Debt free date 30/06/17 (excluding mortgage...)
    Emergency fund £1155/£1000 Moving fund £7000
    Treats £875 Doing up flat fund £1050
    Christmas fund £80/£160
    Savings aim (including EF fund) Jan 2018 £11,150
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 13th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    Oh and to add if I could afford a place like that I'd buy it but unfortunately miles over what I could afford!
    Christmas fund £80/£160
    • c00lbeans
    • By c00lbeans 13th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    c00lbeans
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    Given it is possible to find out what you bought the property for less than 4 years ago, has the market really gone up by that amount?

It would also seem that the property did not sell tremendously quickly last time around, as it first went up for sale in April 2012, and the sale did not complete until July 2013.

It is difficult to be certain, as I am not familiar with the market conditions in your area, but maybe the price you are asking is proving to be too optimistic.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    I thought the EA was being a tad optimistic, that said similar 3-4 bed semis and detached houses have sold for 300-320K recently, the area has experienced a fairly large surge in prices over the last few years.

I think we'll look at reducing the price over the easter holidays.

We're the reason for about 8 months of delay in the previous selling, as we made an offer on it in november 2012, then our house sale fell through and the vendors were happy to wait for us to reestablish the chain.
    • c00lbeans
    • By c00lbeans 13th Mar 17, 5:34 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    c00lbeans
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:34 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:34 PM
    I'm not that far away!
    The market here has risen but as you've said the flight path will put people off.

Personally and please don't take any offence to this
    Declutter pic 7 room
    Clean tiling /bath in pic 13
    Room in pic 17 looks small with all the furniture

All the bathroom products on window ledges... In the range in Southend you can get stick on bath tidies that will adhere to tiles and make the bathrooms look like there isn't a storage problem

The outside is very grey at the front, maybe a plant pot either side with colourful bedding plants?
    Originally posted by Whoknowskt89

Thanks for the advice, we've cleaned and resealed the bath in Pic 13 and done a lot of decluttering, Room 17 is waiting for my storage to become available before we takeaway all the furniture.

We'll be arranging new pics shortly.

Good idea about the front!
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 13th Mar 17, 5:35 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    I thought the EA was being a tad optimistic, that said similar 3-4 bed semis and detached houses have sold for 300-320K recently, the area has experienced a fairly large surge in prices over the last few years.

I think we'll look at reducing the price over the easter holidays.

We're the reason for about 8 months of delay in the previous selling, as we made an offer on it in november 2012, then our house sale fell through and the vendors were happy to wait for us to reestablish the chain.
    Originally posted by c00lbeans
    Perhaps the price is not a million miles out then.

If you've done some de-cluttering and tidying up, then get some new photos done ASAP. The previous photos from when you bought were much better!
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 13th Mar 17, 5:36 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    May not help I've been watching Phil Spencer secret agent most weekends!
    Christmas fund £80/£160
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 13th Mar 17, 5:42 PM
    • 9,177 Posts
    • 11,539 Thanks
    hazyjo
    NB - wrote this before you have added what changes you have made. Will leave it all in, so ignore bits you've already explained.
    ================================

I've always found unfurnished properties take longer to sell and aren't as appealing.

The photos/house do seem to need a lot of work. I'd not be marketing it like that and would take the listing down until you can make some improvements.

You said any advice welcome, so I hope you don't think I'm being harsh (really not! Just want to help you sell!).

Pic 1. Very plain. Would try and make it softer (flowers?). I presumed it was a Scottish house before looking at the location. (No offence to the Scots lol! It's a nice house! It's just the colour/style.)
    Pic 2. Not the most 'loved' garden - looks more like a section of a field.
    Pics 3 and 4. Looks like a function hall. I would make a bit of a hallway and put the sofa on your right as you come through the front door to break the room up. The sofa on the wall opposite the front door can stay. Move the TV to the other side of the window. I would actually put the table at the other end to make it a lounge diner - it's too long to be one long lounge.

Pic 5. Thrown me as a buyer - you don't need two dining spaces, so what do you do with it? It makes more sense being there than in the lounge as it's off the kitchen. So what to do with the mega-long lounge?!

Pic 6. This is MUCH better than pic 5. I thought the table was up against the wall in pic 5, and this makes it look much bigger. It's quite cluttered on those shelves.

Pic 7. Way too much stuff. Keep the desk and chair. That's more than enough.

Pic 8. Clear the front of the fridge entirely. Hide as much of the rest as you can.

Pic 9. No prob.

Pic 10. Okay it's a white suite which is good. Would consider making it look more modern with a new shower curtain and picture. Dated tiles, but not much you can do.

Pic 11 and 12. More of a space than a bedroom. Head height looks very limited throughout.

13. new sealant is essential round bath. Hide all the stuff.

14. Fine.

15. Fine (would move the bath mats and toiletries). Blimey, a third bathroom?!

16. Fine.

17. Junk room? Lose the boxes, lose the sofa, put a large duvet on the bed to hide the underneath and put it where the sofa is. Hide the fan.

Hope that's not too harsh!

I would seriously think about splitting that long front room into two, although someone else can do that if they want to I suppose. Nothing really stands out as a 'master bedroom'. I know there's a big room up there with an en suite, but it just looks like 'space'.

I'm looking in Leigh at the mo - not a million miles away

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies)
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 6,898 Posts
    • 7,337 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I think an empty house screams "seller is losing money each month and will accept a really low offer"

Dont just clean it up but make it look as if someone lives there and doesn't have a boat anchor of a mortgage they are paying each month.

(If you dont have a mortgage make sure the EA tells prospects that, eg "owner has moved out but has no mortgage so is content to wait for the right price".

And also if you leave it empty for more than about a month that will likely invalidate your house insurance.
    • c00lbeans
    • By c00lbeans 13th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    c00lbeans
    NB - wrote this before you have added what changes you have made. Will leave it all in, so ignore bits you've already explained.
    ================================

I've always found unfurnished properties take longer to sell and aren't as appealing.

The photos/house do seem to need a lot of work. I'd not be marketing it like that and would take the listing down until you can make some improvements.

You said any advice welcome, so I hope you don't think I'm being harsh (really not! Just want to help you sell!).

Pic 1. Very plain. Would try and make it softer (flowers?). I presumed it was a Scottish house before looking at the location. (No offence to the Scots lol! It's a nice house! It's just the colour/style.)
    Pic 2. Not the most 'loved' garden - looks more like a section of a field.
    Pics 3 and 4. Looks like a function hall. I would make a bit of a hallway and put the sofa on your right as you come through the front door to break the room up. The sofa on the wall opposite the front door can stay. Move the TV to the other side of the window. I would actually put the table at the other end to make it a lounge diner - it's too long to be one long lounge.

Pic 5. Thrown me as a buyer - you don't need two dining spaces, so what do you do with it? It makes more sense being there than in the lounge as it's off the kitchen. So what to do with the mega-long lounge?!

Pic 6. This is MUCH better than pic 5. I thought the table was up against the wall in pic 5, and this makes it look much bigger. It's quite cluttered on those shelves.

Pic 7. Way too much stuff. Keep the desk and chair. That's more than enough.

Pic 8. Clear the front of the fridge entirely. Hide as much of the rest as you can.

Pic 9. No prob.

Pic 10. Okay it's a white suite which is good. Would consider making it look more modern with a new shower curtain and picture. Dated tiles, but not much you can do.

Pic 11 and 12. More of a space than a bedroom. Head height looks very limited throughout.

13. new sealant is essential round bath. Hide all the stuff.

14. Fine.

15. Fine (would move the bath mats and toiletries). Blimey, a third bathroom?!

16. Fine.

17. Junk room? Lose the boxes, lose the sofa, put a large duvet on the bed to hide the underneath and put it where the sofa is. Hide the fan.

Hope that's not too harsh!

I would seriously think about splitting that long front room into two, although someone else can do that if they want to I suppose. Nothing really stands out as a 'master bedroom'. I know there's a big room up there with an en suite, but it just looks like 'space'.

I'm looking in Leigh at the mo - not a million miles away

Jx
    Originally posted by hazyjo

Nothing to harsh, all appreciatted, I loved Leigh when I moved here, just couldn't deal with the lack of parking, plus needed some open space for the hounds!
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 13th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 19,722 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    In pic 2 (the garden), what's the white thing on the right?

I agree with Hazyjo about dividing up the living room. At the moment, there's too much empty space in the middle, with furniture squashed up at the ends. Some rugs would make it look warmer.

A couple of pots with colourful flowers either side of the front door will add colour.
    • c00lbeans
    • By c00lbeans 13th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    c00lbeans
    In pic 2 (the garden), what's the white thing on the right?

I agree with Hazyjo about dividing up the living room. At the moment, there's too much empty space in the middle, with furniture squashed up at the ends. Some rugs would make it look warmer.

A couple of pots with colourful flowers either side of the front door will add colour.
    Originally posted by Gigervamp
    It's pizza oven, built it a few years ago, one of the first things I'll be building in the new house, they're great fun
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 13th Mar 17, 10:37 PM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 19,722 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    It's pizza oven, built it a few years ago, one of the first things I'll be building in the new house, they're great fun
    Originally posted by c00lbeans
    Oh, I'd love a pizza oven! You should mention that in the particulars and perhaps get a pic of it added.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,422Posts Today

9,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin