Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 13th Mar 17, 4:19 PM
    • 670Posts
    • 243Thanks
    Ant555
    Buyers address is a PostOffice
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:19 PM
    Buyers address is a PostOffice 13th Mar 17 at 4:19 PM
    Ive sold a relatively low cost item £25 incl postage and the buyers address on eBay is similar to.. (note ive changed the exact details but you will get the drift)

Mr <his name>
    Royal Mail
    <NiceTown> Delivery Office
    High Street
    <NiceTown>
    <post code>

Ive sent two messages now without reply asking for him to confirm delivery address

The place exists and its a small village (lots of red/white blue bunting on the shops on Street View) but unless the buyer actually lives there and runs the post office, I wonder how it would be signed for or how the buyer would even know it was there?

I'll probably wait for the reply as i'm a bit wary, but just wondered if sending to a post office is a typical thing nowadays with people not being in to receive parcels when at work etc?

Thanks
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 10,597 Posts
    • 7,115 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    I send to delivery offices, forwarding companies, post offices, hotels etc etc.

Perhaps he/she works at the delivery office? It's the quickest way to get their mail and as far as you are concerned would be dealt with in the same way as if you'd sent it to 1 High Street.....

You do know that a Delivery Office isn't a Post Office don't you?
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 13th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 4,305 Posts
    • 3,715 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    How do you know they don't work there? Even Royal Mail workers buy online nowadays.

The buyer is either too busy to answer your questions or miffed why you are asking them to confirm their address. As long as it is the address PayPal gives and you can prove on-line tracking to the address give you will be alright.
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 13th Mar 17, 5:21 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    Ant555
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:21 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:21 PM
    Thanks for the replies,

Yes, I do understand the delivery office is not the same as a post office but on Street View it looks to be one and the same place.

I'm a very occasional ebay seller and haven;t come across this before but I guess it seems all above board.

Cheers.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 13th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    • 32,285 Posts
    • 27,028 Thanks
    custardy
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    seen a few DO staff use the address for deliveries.
    I don't know the RM policy,but would guess it shouldnt be done.
    It maybe they don't live in their offices delivery area,so this is the easier option.
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 14th Mar 17, 11:08 AM
    • 670 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    Ant555
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:08 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:08 AM
    I don't know the RM policy,but would guess it shouldnt be done.
    Originally posted by custardy
    Thanks for the reply - That was my thinking too, if I send a jiffy bag by MyHermes or Collect+ then why would a Royal Mail delivery office sign for it on behalf of someone that may or may not live in the area and how would they let that person know. More to the point, how would I defend a 'not delivered' claim!

The more I think about it, the more I am sure its an employee so probably OK.

As 'theonlywayisup' states in a post above - they send to delivery offices without any problems.
    I send to delivery offices,
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Cheers to all.
    Last edited by Ant555; 14-03-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 14th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    It's surprising how often something in address refers to a post office, or an "old" post office. I guess there's a lot of buildings or homes that were once post offices such as this one in Boscastle, Cornwall:

Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Mar 17, 11:51 AM
    • 25,302 Posts
    • 10,047 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:51 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:51 AM
    Ive been to a post office thats also part of a farm, they use the PO address because your more likely to find that than the farm one. Quaint corner shop/PO where the rear if the farmhouse and then the farms courtyard with outbuildings spreading outwards.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 14th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    I don't know if this is still there, but I've actually been to this post office in a garden shed in Kylesku, Scotland:

Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th Mar 17, 5:16 PM
    • 32,285 Posts
    • 27,028 Thanks
    custardy
    I don't know if this is still there, but I've actually been to this post office in a garden shed in Kylesku, Scotland:

Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    Not according to the branch locator.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Mar 17, 7:34 PM
    • 10,597 Posts
    • 7,115 Thanks
    theonlywayisup

Nice pics - but the OP (if you read the abbreviated) address is a DELIVERY OFFICE, not a POST OFFICE.

Delivery offices and post offices are commonly mixed up by people because they seem to think the Post Office and Royal Mail are the same.

As a standard Joe Public you take your parcel to a Post Office but your Royal Mail postie will deliver it from his local Delivery Office.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 14th Mar 17, 7:50 PM
    • 4,305 Posts
    • 3,715 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    I did once watch a BBC documentary about history of Royal Mail, can't remember where it was, but there was a delivery office which was basically a garden shed. One guy sorted the mail in there and then delivered it.
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 14th Mar 17, 7:51 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    Ant555

As a standard Joe Public you take your parcel to a Post Office but your Royal Mail postie will deliver it from his local Delivery Office.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Yes, although its described as Delivery Office in the text of my post, I made a mistake putting Post Office in the title which I don't seem to be able to change.

Ive sent it now but i'm still unsure if i'm honest of the technicalities of sending a MyHermes/Collect+ parcel that requires a signature to a Delivery Office unless the person actually works there. As you said, the postie delivers parcels and letters 'from' the Delivery office so its not a typical place to send things 'to'.

You said it was something you have done in the past, and not unusual, so at least that put my mind at rest that it was a valid thing to do.

Cheers to all - bit the bullet, fingers crossed, parcel sent now!
    Last edited by Ant555; 14-03-2017 at 7:54 PM.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 14th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    I too, have sent items to delivery offices, not just post offices. I've even sent items to staff at eBay! lol
    • Kate/Bob
    • By Kate/Bob 14th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    Kate/Bob
    It's surprising how often something in address refers to a post office, or an "old" post office. I guess there's a lot of buildings or homes that were once post offices such as this one in Boscastle, Cornwall:

That's Tintagel!
    Kate short for Bob.

Alphabet thread High Priestess of all things unsavoury

Tesla was a genius.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 14th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    That's Tintagel!
    Really. Well King Arthur had a bloody long way to go in order to send a post card!
    • martindow
    • By martindow 15th Mar 17, 1:28 PM
    • 7,085 Posts
    • 3,917 Thanks
    martindow
    Really. Well King Arthur had a bloody long way to go in order to send a post card!
    Only about 4 miles but no doubt he would have sent a servant.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,064Posts Today

7,017Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin