Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 13th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 934Posts
    • 584Thanks
    wizzywig27
    Notice Period
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    Notice Period 13th Mar 17 at 3:46 PM
    Hello all

I currently rent a property with my partner. We moved in on the 20th January 2015 and at the time we paid one extra weeks rent so we could ensure it was paid on time (as we got paid on 25th). They agreed to this and since we have been paying the rent on the 27th of every month.

We now wish to vacate the property and another property we wish to rent has became available from the beginning of next month (around the 14th). We would like to give notice on our current property (one month) but this kicks in on the 27th - so if we were to hand in notice now, we have to give one months clear rental month - so leave date would be 27th April. I am arguing that our rental month is the 20th - the payment of an extra weeks rent was made to delay the payment slightly.

The estate agent has put in an email that when my contract ended (after 12 months) I went on a rolling contract from 28th - 27th of every month, I then (imo rightly so) asked if I was in fact on a 12 month 1 week contract.

Does anyone have any clue where I stand here? I do not want to annoy my LL or the EA but feel like they are making it hard to get any sort of new property as when things become available I cant just give a months notice (unless it falls at exactly the right time). I understand this is written into my contract but as far as I am concerned my contract ended on the 20th (with the additional weeks payment to be taken off the last months rent).

Thanks in advance guys.
Page 2
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 13th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    leslieknope
    you can follow the contract and give two months notice with the rent due date of 20th or you can give one month with the rent due date of 27th. one extra week or one extra month. you decide.

i understand dealing with letting agents can be frustrating but you signed a contract and they can bind you to the terms.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 13th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 934 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    you can follow the contract and give two months notice with the rent due date of 20th or you can give one month with the rent due date of 27th. one extra week or one extra month. you decide.

i understand dealing with letting agents can be frustrating but you signed a contract and they can bind you to the terms.
    Originally posted by leslieknope
    Thank you for the help it's much appreciated
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

111Posts Today

1,514Users online

Martin's Twitter