Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jurgy
    • By Jurgy 13th Mar 17, 3:28 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jurgy
    Jurgy
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:28 PM
    Jurgy 13th Mar 17 at 3:28 PM
    PPI. 1978 Mortgage opened between husband and I. 1984 my husband suddenly and unexpectedly passed at the age of 41, the terms and conditions of the mortgage allowed the mortgage to be paid in full. I never knew if the mortgage was linked to PPI and have no data/ info/paperwork
    Therefore...
    (1) As the mortgage was paid upon death would that indicate PPI was active ? If it was paid under the terms of PPI, (which I was not aware of) could a claim still proceed?
    (2) If it was active (which I was not aware of) could I claim PPI of 1978?
    (3) Can I claim as the only living named person on that closed mortgage?
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 18,785 Posts
    • 8,959 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    PPI on mortgages did not exist in 1978. PPI does not cover death anyway. You therefore probably claimed on a Life insurance policy.

Since the insurance paid off your mortgage, on what basis would you complain? I'm certain you received far more in benefit than was paid on the policy.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Mar 17, 3:59 PM
    • 88,196 Posts
    • 53,402 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:59 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:59 PM
    I never knew if the mortgage was linked to PPI and have no data/ info/paperwork
    It wasnt.

(1) As the mortgage was paid upon death would that indicate PPI was active ? If it was paid under the terms of PPI, (which I was not aware of) could a claim still proceed?
    Life assurance has nothing to do with PPI. You cannot claim on something you didnt have.

(2) If it was active (which I was not aware of) could I claim PPI of 1978?
    PPI didnt exist in 1978
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Jurgy
    • By Jurgy 13th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jurgy
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    Thank you, I was unware PPI did not exist then. Regarding the mortgage payment, yes, due to the paid policy, myself and my children age 3 and 6 were able to stay in our family home, but the only income we had was my widows pension until my children went to full time education , then I was able to start employment. Therefore not knowing PPI did not exist in 1978, I was wondering if I boost my now income of a state pension.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Mar 17, 4:30 PM
    • 18,785 Posts
    • 8,959 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:30 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:30 PM
    I was unware PPI did not exist then
    Originally posted by Jurgy
    PPI was Payment Protection Insurance. A policy paying out in only the short term in cases of unemployment or sickness. Your insurance policy covered your partner's untimely death and paid off your mortgage.
    So it doesn't matter whether PPI did exist in 1978 because the insurance you had was Life Assurance, not PPI.

Note that it is not somehow wrong to have ANY insurance. The reason people get refunds of PPI is that it was widely mis-sold, not because having PPI is automatically "wrong"

Your life assurance policy did exactly what it was intended to do. You had the full benefit of it three decades ago. You will not receive any more I'm afraid.

Don't waste any more time with this...
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 13-03-2017 at 9:37 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,787Posts Today

8,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: It's been everywhere, so why not here. Which Hogwart's house should you've been in (Ive put key traits to help)...

• Quick favour if uv graduated within around the last year. I could do with pic of a student loan statement (no personal info) inc interest

• RT @ValeOfLevenCU: Why not sign up to @MartinSLewis https://t.co/kxMBedCNNw weekly email for free, impartial tips? #ThriftyThursday http?

• Follow Martin