Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frankie291011
    • By Frankie291011 13th Mar 17, 3:28 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Frankie291011
    what are my rights? suit shop
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:28 PM
    what are my rights? suit shop 13th Mar 17 at 3:28 PM
    hi, hope someone can give me some advice,

in November, myself and fianc! went to a well-known suit shop to choose three suits (for himself and his two best men) They had a deal for 20% off and we chose some suits and got them ordered. We paid around £700 for a tailor made one for my fianc!, and two just off the rack.

A few days later the shop got in contact with us to advise they didn't have enough material and they couldn't make my fianc!'s suit. We obviously wanted all three suits to match so we no longer wanted the other two suits which were going to be off the rack. The person dealing with us said they will still honour the 20% off so we said okay no problem we will pop back and choose another material and the money we have spent can be kept on our file and used for the new suits.

There were a few more visits choosing materials etc and eventually did select another material and this weekend my fianc!'s suit was ready. We went to take the suit home and the shop wanted to charge us £250 approx. We said this isn't right because we have already paid £700 back in November and haven't received anything until now.

The person who had previously dealt with us has now left the company. We were dealing now with the manager of the store who was insistent on charging us an extra £250 for the suit. We showed him our receipt for the £700 payment and explained that we hadn’t received anything yet for this money paid, and that we had been very patient having not received anything until now (due to the store not having enough stock of the materials we were choosing)

To make things simpler, I asked the manager (who didn’t really have a clue what was going on) what the actual cost of my fianc!’s suit was, and to use the £700 paid already which would more than cover the cost of this. I then asked him to just refund the difference as we no longer wanted the off the rack suits….I think it turned out to be about £200 approximately that they owed us now as we were able to take the tailor made suit home.

The manager said he can’t refund us because he believes the money we paid previously back in November was for suits that have already been received! Basically he believes that we already received the off the rack suits back in November and its now our word against his!

Does anyone know what our rights are??
Page 1
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 13th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 14,996 Posts
    • 10,770 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    What did you receipt say?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,144Posts Today

7,164Users online

Martin's Twitter