Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 13th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 388Posts
    • 142Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    Removing and replacing crazy paving path
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    Removing and replacing crazy paving path 13th Mar 17 at 3:25 PM
    I have a wavy garden path that's made with crazy paving. The mortar needs placing. There's nothing keeping the borders under control so soil is falling on to the path, and there's a dip halfway along where rainwater collects.

I'm looking at replacing it all myself. I want to remove the path and replace it with a straight one (with a slight incline for drainage), as well as add a border that will keep the soil at bay:

First step is breaking up the crazy paving. What's the best way? Sledgehammer approach?
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Mar 17, 3:30 PM
    • 58,777 Posts
    • 342,148 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:30 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:30 PM
    You could try your luck and stick it on freecycle, or the local Facebook selling groups, as a "come and take it away" - with photos showing the mortar's gone and telling them so they'll see it as a possible.

There might be somebody out there that can re-use the stones - and, for free, for 10 minutes of your time, it's worth a punt.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 13th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    And if the above suggestion gives no results, then it should be pretty easy to use a hammer and cold chisel to chip away a little bit of mortar, get a crowbar in and lift whole slabs out. Probably easier than going at it with a sledgehammer.

When it comes to laying the new path - Paving Expert is your friend

http://www.pavingexpert.com/
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 13th Mar 17, 4:50 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:50 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:50 PM
    Yup been reading pavingexpert and watching youtube videos. I have an idea of what to do, and how much work is involved.

Just need to look at design ideas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,190Posts Today

7,265Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Bore da! I'm on the train on the way to Cardiff for the @itvMLshow roadshow. See you there (if ur there, if ur not i won't see you obv)

• RT @MattLawsonPhD: @MartinSLewis Never mind a railcard until 27. I had mine until I was 30. All I had to do was 4 degrees including a full?

• RT @maxmckn: @MartinSLewis Justt tried to prebook seats for 3 of us, was £108, where did ?2 price he said on watch dog come from?? Its near?

• Follow Martin