Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JuneBow
    • By JuneBow 13th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 235Posts
    • 195Thanks
    JuneBow
    Moving a bathroom upstairs
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    Moving a bathroom upstairs 13th Mar 17 at 3:25 PM
    I am thinking of buying a small house and cutting a bit off the bedroom.
    The bedroom currently measures 4.19m x 2.94m.
    I am assuming it would be better to have the soil stack for the toilet on the outside wall. This is the one that measures 2.94m. The most sensible way to do it seems to be to make a long thin bathroom, the longest wall being 2.94m. (less a small amount so that the bedroom can be accessed.
    Is this doable, and what would be the smallest bathroom you could reasonably get away with, and the best configuration.
    Any ideas would be most welcome.
Page 1
    • JuzaMum
    • By JuzaMum 13th Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    JuzaMum
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    A small bathroom could be 170cm (length of standard bath) by 140cm. Toilet next to one end of the bath and basin at the other and the door on the wall between the toilet and basin. Obviously bigger would be nicer but I think that's the minimum needed.
    • Bob_Dean
    • By Bob_Dean 14th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Bob_Dean
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    Do you realy need a bath as if the room is small I would suggest having a showeroom instead. I have a small bathroom and replaced the bath with a shower and it now seams much bigger.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 14th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 7,042 Thanks
    phill99
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    I have often wondered what the obsession of having a bathroom upstairs is. I sometime watch Homes Under the Hammer and the guy is always banging on about this. I live in an area of predominantly late Victorian 3 bed terrace hoses where the majority have the bathroom downstairs beyond the kitchen. If you are buying here, people acknowledge this as the norm and they still sell quickly. Some strange people have brought a three bedroomed house, put a bathroom upstairs and lost a whole bedroom. I think it is bizarre.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 14th Mar 17, 5:54 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Teapot55
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:54 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:54 PM
    I have often wondered what the obsession of having a bathroom upstairs is. I sometime watch Homes Under the Hammer and the guy is always banging on about this. I live in an area of predominantly late Victorian 3 bed terrace hoses where the majority have the bathroom downstairs beyond the kitchen. If you are buying here, people acknowledge this as the norm and they still sell quickly. Some strange people have brought a three bedroomed house, put a bathroom upstairs and lost a whole bedroom. I think it is bizarre.
    Originally posted by phill99
    First house we bought had a bathroom suite in the third bedroom. Was good when we had small children. Lots of room to get them bathed & dressed. Room for a cupboard & a chest of drawers. Gas heater on the wall.

Later on we had the rear chimney stack between bedrooms two & three taken down & a bathroom put in the space plus bits from both bedrooms. This gave us a proper bathroom with bath ((& shower over) a slightly smaller second bedroom & a boxroom that was still suitable for one bed etc.

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

2,068Users online

Martin's Twitter