Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worriedmamma
    • By worriedmamma 13th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 155Posts
    • 59Thanks
    worriedmamma
    Car Insurance Renewal during BR year
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    Car Insurance Renewal during BR year 13th Mar 17 at 1:27 PM
    Hi all

Long time no speak.. hope all' well.

So my Car Insurance is due for renewal in a few months, I am halfway through my BR year. My usual payments would mean the policy is around £500 a year which I know is the threshold for declaring. I usually pay in monthly instalments and wouldn't be able to pay the whole premium in advance. I could put it on a 0% credit card (my husbands) but for obvious reasons I'd rather not do that.

Anyone recently renewed during BR year have any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance x
Page 1
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 13th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    Car insurance has gone up quite a bit in recent weeks so it may be more than you are expecting.
    Did you inform them of your B.R? there was a clause in mine to say any claim would not be allowed during B.R (Aviva) I rang them straight after and they said as I pay for the year it would be fine.
    Read the terms very carefully for mention of this.
    • peterkay369
    • By peterkay369 13th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    peterkay369
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    My renewal was due at the beginning of this month, has absolutely screwed me over to be honest. I was only paid a couple of days before, and have had 21p in my account ever since so I'm struggling badly.

If you have the option, I would use husbands credit card, and then set up a standing order to him for the monthly amount. If anything, it should work out cheaper for you than paying monthly as I don't think your husband will be charging you interest :P
    • worriedmamma
    • By worriedmamma 15th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    worriedmamma
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    Hi thanks for your replies. No I didn't ring them, as when I searched the total of my premium was less than £500 last year so didn't think had to.

I'll look into the T&C's, thank you.
    • mwarby
    • By mwarby 15th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    mwarby
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    You know you might not be able to get it on credit right ? Not due to bankruptcy £500 thing, but the effect bankruptcy will have had on your score

If you can going forward, try to save £50 or so a month, so you have next year's premium ready. Also good to do similar for MOT costs etc
    • Johnsmith2016
    • By Johnsmith2016 15th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Johnsmith2016
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    I auto renewed my insurance 3 months after going bankcrupt no problems, the amount was already in my SOA and the total amount of credit was under £500, and I just carried on paying the instalments. As it was an auto renew I don't think they do a credit check. But if you was to start a new policy with a new insurer you may be declined the instalment option due to bankcruptcy, aside for the the credit check and £500 limit there shouldn't be any reason you can't get car insurance unless they specifically say no
    • mwarby
    • By mwarby 15th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    mwarby
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    I certainly wouldn't want to base my plans on passing the credit check, if you do great. During my IVA never had a problem, but then I was paying premium in full
    • peterkay369
    • By peterkay369 15th Mar 17, 11:46 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    peterkay369
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:46 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:46 PM
    As it was an auto renew I don't think they do a credit check.
    Originally posted by Johnsmith2016
    I think that may be down to the discretion of the insurer. Checked my credit history and it turns out my insurer has credit checked me when my policy was renewed a couple of weeks ago, even though it was a straight forward renewal and paying in full, so no credit check needed in my opinion. They didn't however mention to me they would be doing a credit check, nor have they mentioned anything in regards to my credit file/bankruptcy. Strange as to why they checked though...
    • Johnsmith2016
    • By Johnsmith2016 16th Mar 17, 3:32 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Johnsmith2016
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:32 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:32 AM
    Yours may have just been a quotation identify check, not a hard check.

I see these weekly only my report from my current insurer and also if I use compare the market I end up with loads of identity checks, none impact your score.
    • worriedmamma
    • By worriedmamma 18th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    worriedmamma
    Thanks - Yes I did wonder whether I would be able to get insurance regardless of the cost because of being BR. I guess I either see what my current insurer sends through for auto-renew and go from there.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,059Posts Today

10,257Users online

Martin's Twitter