Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 1trainer1
    • By 1trainer1 13th Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    • 863Posts
    • 1,744Thanks
    1trainer1
    underfloor heating in a wetroom
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    underfloor heating in a wetroom 13th Mar 17 at 2:01 PM
    I am in the process of fitting my wetroom and was thinking of underfloor heating as we don't have the space for a radiator.

Now the Dimensions of the floor is approx 3m by 1m so what size do i need for the underfloor heating?

I was thinking either 2m or 2.5m because i have a wall hanging basin and a wall hanging toilet so the heating mat can go all the way down on that side of the room but i was under the impression you dont need it under the shower and you cannot cut the heating mats
    Blessed on 18th February at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
Page 1
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 13th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 2,266 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    presumably you are talking about electric UFH?
    imo that's not much use for space heating, it's fine for taking the chill off the tiles but for space heating you really want wet UFH
    • 1trainer1
    • By 1trainer1 13th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,744 Thanks
    1trainer1
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    imo that's not much use for space heating, it's fine for taking the chill off the tiles but for space heating you really want wet UFH
    Originally posted by the_r_sole
    yes electric underfloor heating, its just so the tiles dont be freezing when we come out of the shower.

its not much space but for the price we are getting it just thought it would be worth it
    Blessed on 18th February at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 14th Mar 17, 11:45 PM
    • 5,167 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:45 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:45 PM
    Electric ufh in a wet room that sounds like a good idea
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 15th Mar 17, 5:37 AM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    andyhop
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:37 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 5:37 AM
    Ensure you fit insulation under the floor between joists, the thicker the better . Expanding foam all edges to prevent air movement otherwise your floor may never reach its max set point

If you use cement board as a final prep finish you will also be able to use 150w mats . Make sure the UFH is fitted, then screeded, then membrane on top to seal
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 15th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    Common misconception that, electric mats can provide a higher heat output than wet UFH, nearly double.

Most manufacturers will have set mat sizes but also loose cable systems for non regular spaces such as wet rooms etc.
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 15th Mar 17, 3:20 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:20 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 3:20 PM
    Electric ufh in a wet room that sounds like a good idea
    Originally posted by southcoastrgi
    You do realise they have specific electric mats for wet rooms, bathrooms etc, don't you? Not an issue at all when designed and installed properly.
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 15th Mar 17, 4:00 PM
    • 2,266 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:00 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:00 PM
    Common misconception that, electric mats can provide a higher heat output than wet UFH, nearly double.

Most manufacturers will have set mat sizes but also loose cable systems for non regular spaces such as wet rooms etc.
    Originally posted by ComicGeek
    I can only talk from my own experience of using different kinds of UFH in most projects and the feedback from clients in real world situations
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 15th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    I can only talk from my own experience of using different kinds of UFH in most projects and the feedback from clients in real world situations
    Then would be good for you to read up on the current electric mat systems, they work really well. And I can only talk from my experience as a chartered building services engineer, and specifying and installing ufh systems for 20 years.
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 15th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 2,266 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    Then would be good for you to read up on the current electric mat systems, they work really well. And I can only talk from my experience as a chartered building services engineer, and specifying and installing ufh systems for 20 years.
    Originally posted by ComicGeek
    Good stuff, do you do cost calcs for the systems etc too - could you drop me a pm with your details on it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

880Posts Today

7,389Users online

Martin's Twitter