Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lily1967
    • By lily1967 13th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lily1967
    Remortgaging unencumbered property
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    Remortgaging unencumbered property 13th Mar 17 at 1:52 PM
    Hi, newbie here looking for advice on remortgaging our current property (now mortgage free, It's valued at around £450k) to enable us to buy our next property (downsize, it's valued at £285k). We'd be planning to sell this main property and move into our downsize property within 18 months to avoid the 3% additional home charge (we are in Scotland). To secure the property time is of the essence (there's already a fair bit of interest) and we're not ready to go on market immediately (family reasons). As we have so much equity in this property I thought we'd get a better rate remortgaging this rather than having to take out a high LTV on the next one - and using a fair amount of our savings as a deposit/fees (we paid our mortgage off 10 years early rather than save lots in a low-interest account, so whilst we have some savings I don't want to raid the lot). Spoke to nationwide our previous lender who are happy to remortgage this so we can blow the lot on a yacht or a holiday but not if we tell them it's to buy another property and that we wil pay the mortgage off when we sell this. Advice? Is my plan even possible - or is there a better more cost effective way to fund the purchase?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

169Posts Today

1,711Users online

Martin's Twitter