Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Trodac
    • By Trodac 13th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Trodac
    Barclaycard ruined my credit score
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    Barclaycard ruined my credit score 13th Mar 17 at 1:27 PM
    Hi,

OK ruined is harsh but hoping for some advice, I have a credit card with Barclaycard which I set up accidental death policy through the card when they cold-called and sold it to me around 3 years ago. This payment is only 2.99 a month and I have my card set for direct debit. I completely paid off my balance last October however these payments continued. Because the balance was less than 5 pounds they didn't collect the direct debit. However, this shows as a missed payment on my credit account. My score has taken a hit of 100 points and gone from excellent to good. This is despite a clear and up to date credit history for over 10 years. I wrote to Barclaycard to complain and they just reinstated the direct debit and said there was nothing they could do about my credit score.
    Is there anything I can do to restore my good credit, it's so disheartening to lose a perfect credit score over a 2.99 payment that I had no idea had been missed. I don't get paper bills and they only informed me of the missed payment by email when the next payment was due.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks
    Last edited by Trodac; 13-03-2017 at 1:31 PM.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Mar 17, 1:33 PM
    • 14,043 Posts
    • 14,729 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:33 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:33 PM
    Don't worry about the score. It's worthless.

Are you sure the payment wasn't taken because of the low amount? That would be odd.

You go on to say the DD was reinstated - which suggests it was cancelled.

What exactly happened? Is the missed payment still showing on your files?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    • 30,265 Posts
    • 19,144 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:42 PM
    Whats on your credit history as this is what lenders see.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • solentsusie
    • By solentsusie 13th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    solentsusie
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    "I don't get paper bills and they only informed me of the missed payment by email when the next payment was due."

But you would also have had an email stating that your statement had been prepared. I get these every month, and although it sounds harsh, it is your responsibility to check your online statement if you have elected to not receive paper statements.

I wouldn't worry about your score, as stated in the previous post it is meaningless, and Barclaycard are right, they can do nothing about that. The information they have supplied to the CRA's is correct though if you have missed a payment, as you did, even if it was only for £2.99. If there was a mix up at their end (not yours) and they cancelled the direct debit (not you from your end) then you can try and persue them for that.

Good luck.
    • Trodac
    • By Trodac 13th Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Trodac
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    hi thanks for the responses

I checked my online bank account and the direct debit is still active and according to the details has been since oct 2013. The email I get monthly is to say what payment is due and with the direct debit set up I have never made a point to check that it has been paid. Also yes my credit file shows a month late payment.
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 13th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    Arleen
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    If you had direct debit set up and money in your account and they didn't collect it - call them and tell them that as it is their fault and they will fix it + remove the marker. If this is not the true story, well, tell us what really happened and we will be able to help.
    • Trodac
    • By Trodac 13th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Trodac
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    I swear it's the whole truth...yes definitely money in the account, they told me on the phone that it must have been the low amount that's why it wasn't taken. They refunded me the late charge and said they would reinstate the direct debit, but like I said on my DD list on my online bank it has been set up and still active since October 2013. I took his word, but when I saw it recorded on my credit history and the hit on my score I was at a loss what to do and sent a letter that was modified from a website saying what to do when you want to challenge something on your credit file but they replied by letter that they had reinstated the direct debit and nothing else.
    Last edited by Trodac; 13-03-2017 at 2:23 PM.
    • mrmagooooooo
    • By mrmagooooooo 13th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    mrmagooooooo
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    Same as all the other points here really. If you Canceled the Direct debit then unfortunately you've not got a leg to stand on. If they just didn't take the money then thats their fault and they should rectify the situation. If they dont or wont then go to the ombudsman.
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 13th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    Arleen
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    I swear it's the whole truth...yes definitely money in the account, they told me on the phone that it must have been the low amount that's why it wasn't taken. They refunded me the late charge and said they would reinstate the direct debit, but like I said on my DD list on my online bank it has been set up and still active since October 2013. I took his word, but when I saw it recorded on my credit history and the hit on my score I was at a loss what to do and sent a letter that was modified from a website saying what to do when you want to challenge something on your credit file but they replied by letter that they had reinstated the direct debit and nothing else.
    Originally posted by Trodac
    Then call them back, demand transcription of that phone call, they will oblige, and inform that you are submitting it to financial ombudsman for resolution. That alone will most likely get them to rectify the situation, but if not then the ombudsman will and you will be as good as before.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 13th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    Ben8282
    It makes NO SENSE that they would have failed to collect the direct debit because it was for an amount of less than £5.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 30,265 Posts
    • 19,144 Thanks
    DCFC79
    It makes NO SENSE that they would have failed to collect the direct debit because it was for an amount of less than £5.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Makes no sense to me either.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 13th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    nic_c
    It doesn't make sense, as if you look at the T&C for monthly payment it says
    £5 (or the total outstanding balance if it’s less than £5)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,156Posts Today

6,590Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin