Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • busybee100
    • By busybee100 13th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 1,138Posts
    • 2,425Thanks
    busybee100
    New ISP old password
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    New ISP old password 13th Mar 17 at 1:27 PM
    Hi
    I regularly change my ISP for the cashback/giftcard offers and mentioned previously it was a pain because I had to change the password each time on the printer etc. I was told (I think) to change it on the router instead. So I've changed it on the router but my phone still asked for a password to the new ISP and the printer is not responding so I guess I have to change it somewhere else.

Apologies if I seem stupid. I'm trying to learn before I get too old

Page 1
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 13th Mar 17, 1:44 PM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 6,209 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:44 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:44 PM
    You need to change the router SSID to the same as it was
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 3,345 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    As above ... all of the following need to be the same:

1. Router Wifi name (SSID)
    2. Router WiFi password
    3. Router WiFi encryption type (not 100% sure about this one, but it seems logical)

If your router from each ISP is configured the same for the above then your devices should automatically connect no matter which ISP (hence router) you are using.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 13th Mar 17, 4:23 PM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 1,462 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:23 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:23 PM
    I regularly change my ISP for the cashback/giftcard offers
    Originally posted by busybee100
    Nothing wrong with that - a great money saving trick (not a trick at all and slightly surprised the cashbacks are still so large...)

...and mentioned previously it was a pain because I had to change the password each time on the printer etc.
    Originally posted by busybee100
    3 options :-
    1. keep original router; change ISP logon username and password on the router. This way the wifi details stay the same.
    2. use new ISP's router; change wifi details on router to match the previous values
    3. use new ISP's router; change wifi details at all wireless computers/phones to match those printed on the new router.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • busybee100
    • By busybee100 13th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    busybee100
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    Thank you for all your replies. I changed the password back to the old one then the ssid, everything was fine but the printer. Then my friend called to print some bits so I ended up attaching it by USB. And when she'd gone I thought I may as well put everything back to the new id/password as I'd got the disc out anyway.
    What a trial.
    I'll try again next year

• forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Mar 17, 7:04 PM
    • 25,857 Posts
    • 10,292 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:04 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:04 PM
    Stupid Vodafone router kept assigning my printer a different IP address every time it connected.

Even when i set it to a fixed IP it would sometimes think it was a new device and assign another IP. A firmware update seems to have fixed it.
    My printer actually works when i switch it on now. No need to wait for it to connect and cross my fingers its the same IP.

It must be psychic though, it only seemed to do it when i needed to be out the door in 2 minutes.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

1,514Users online

Martin's Twitter