Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stoodles
    • By Stoodles 13th Mar 17, 1:23 PM
    • 681Posts
    • 8,993Thanks
    Stoodles
    How do you use your PIP?
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:23 PM
    How do you use your PIP? 13th Mar 17 at 1:23 PM
    In another thread someone asked how people use the money they get from PIP, particularly if the y have no additional costs. It is an interesting question,. If I am awarded PIP, my plans are to use it to access treatment which I hope will eventually make me ineligible for PIP. Any money left after that would go to reducing the burden on my OH, who has uncomplainingly picked up all the tasks I used to do. Without him I would be facing significant costs now.
Page 2
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 14th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 835 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    tomtom256
    Instead of jumping in and answering a post that wasn't directed at you we allow Nannytone to explain it in her own words?
    Originally posted by rockingbilly
    It's a public forum, you pose a question, I answered it.

If you don't want an answer don't post.

Seemed to be a generic question aimed at all in response to Nanny.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 14th Mar 17, 8:01 AM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 8,728 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    I have a disability bus-pass, however the bus stop (for the GP, Chemist, Hospital et.c) is about 15 - 20 minutes walk away so not exactly do-able for me. ...my PIP goes on paying for a Community Care , where someone will drive me where I need to go, wait, and drive me home.

I also use the PIP to provide myself with various gadgets and aids that help me to live something approximating a 'normal' life.

(well...currently it is DLA...PIP application is pending)
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 14th Mar 17, 8:05 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    It's a public forum, you pose a question, I answered it.

If you don't want an answer don't post.

Seemed to be a generic question aimed at all in response to Nanny.
    Originally posted by tomtom256
    It wasn't. I was interested in what she does with the remaining 30% of her care payments and question if the costs of transport would still exist without the disability - only she can give that info - but maybe doesn't want to?
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 14th Mar 17, 8:07 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly

I also use the PIP to provide myself with various gadgets and aids that help me to live something approximating a 'normal' life.
    Originally posted by Prinzessilein
    Every week???
    • Tommo1980
    • By Tommo1980 14th Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    Tommo1980
    Maybe she has more dignity than to respond to a douchebag troll.

As has already been suggested open your eyes and reread her post. She explains the 30% as being spent on gadgets.
    • CTcelt1988
    • By CTcelt1988 14th Mar 17, 8:12 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    CTcelt1988
    I see Rockingbilly still being hypocritical having a pop at others for what they spend their pip on, whilst at the same time bragging how he gives his away to his grandchildren.
    • Tommo1980
    • By Tommo1980 14th Mar 17, 8:19 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    Tommo1980
    He feels hard done by now because he didn't get his PIP award and he is not getting enough attention or recognition. So he's decided to increase his trolling posts to achieve same.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 14th Mar 17, 8:26 AM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 8,728 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Every week???
    Yes.

I have DAILY needs...I have a number of aids and gadgets that I need to maintain/renew/update.

If one week I spend a few pennies more than my weekly benefits on an item, and the following week I manage to put a penny or two into the 'maintain items' pot and use it the following week, what business is it of anyone but me?

I have answered the question as to what I do with my benefit money.

(I suspect that rocckingbilly - and whatever usernames they come up with in future - will only be satisfied if everyone posts a weekly spreadsheet itemising each penny spent....and not even then)
    • Cyclamen
    • By Cyclamen 14th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    • 394 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Cyclamen
    Oh heck this is going to be a long list for most of us..

Wheelchairs as wheelchair services do one option only and it isn't suitable. I have the one they recommended but still paying for it.
    replacing work out equipment..new front casters for push chair, cushions, waterproofs, stuff i've dropped/broken,
    trying new gadgets that might help
    Paying my contribution for carers.
    Paying for jobs i'd do myself ..handy person stuff,
    paying for carers to help me do things
    disposable heat pads, bath wipes, etc
    duplicating items as i cant move them betwene rooms.. e.g each room has a heatpad and fan and bed handle etc..
    covering the cost of a more expensive hotel as often the budget don't have wetrooms.
    special diet due to intolerances.
    taxis.. when i could walk the distance before
    home delivery costs and internet (if on limited income i'd use free library internet and go collect stuff)
    i am constantly trying new gadgets in the hopes of getting some more help.
    coffee out so i can use a clean accessible loo not the park loo.
    extra heating
    extra electricity - gadgets and just being in all day.
    membership to 'disease association' to stay up to date
    food and snacks during horpital trips etc..
    extra prescription glasses for a variety of tints
    clothing .. i buy 'new to me' but frequently tear, mangle or rip clothes due to falls, trapping in wheels etc..
    making the garden accessible.. we are nearly finished with this now
    cleaning
    silly things like easy grip pens.. cost loads more..
    more costly car travel.. we can't park and ride into the big town so higher parking charges etc..
    little gifts for carers, family who help out etc.. i had a £3 budget per carer at christmas.

I would imagine most of us would have a huge list of things we buy because we are not able to manually do the cheaper alternative, or need things to enable us to do something.
    extra insurance for disability stuff.
    i'm sure there is more..

My basic money needs now are definitely a lot higher than when I was 'healthy' as I cant walk, cycle, shop around, keep active for warmth, take more care over breakages. Repair and make things etc etc..
    • Stoodles
    • By Stoodles 14th Mar 17, 11:13 AM
    • 681 Posts
    • 8,993 Thanks
    Stoodles
    Yes, I'd forgotten extra heating now I'm at home all day, and not being able to go to supermarkets myself to find the bargains.
    • Sewsosew
    • By Sewsosew 14th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Sewsosew

There are so many things

1 - payments on car which fits my needs- room for wheelchair etc

2 - pay for gardener as my husband doesn't have time as he looks after me and does all other household tasks

3 - we eat out occasionally so my husband gets a break from cooking

4 - there are few bargains on accessible hotels and holidays

5 - heating costs, I can't move around easily to keep warm
    When dancing with dragons, don't let your partner lead.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 14th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 12,089 Posts
    • 17,909 Thanks
    nannytone
    ....and the other 30% of the care award??
    And as for the mobility element everybody has to pay for petrol/parking/bus fares whether they are disabled or not. What you quote don't appear to be the extra costs resulting from your disability.
    IF you bothered actually reading the post you would see that the remaining 30% of the care component is saved for equipment.

i know everyone pays bus fare etc ... but i have to pay twice.

if i go on a train i pay my fare plus the fare of my PA.

so it is used for EXACTLY the purposes that it was intended for.

sorry to disappoint that i don't just gift it to family members because i don't need it
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 14th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    • 8,035 Posts
    • 4,796 Thanks
    teddysmum
    A fairer system would pay people according to the cost of their disability as some, even if not well off have very little need or the money, so it becomes a perk, while others really do need a lot more help, so have an inferior lifestyle because they have to prioritise the use what they are given.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 14th Mar 17, 5:24 PM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 3,726 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    A fairer system would pay people according to the cost of their disability as some, even if not well off have very little need or the money, so it becomes a perk, while others really do need a lot more help, so have an inferior lifestyle because they have to prioritise the use what they are given.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    But then people would over exaggerate to get the maximum possible money. Which means you would need assessment. Which costs money. Then people would be unhappy with their award and so you would need a tribunal. It would be worse than it is now. Unfortunately a fixed amount is the fairest way. Some people are better off and some people are worse off. However there is no arguments that someone is less in need than you but gets more money.
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 14th Mar 17, 5:38 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    I see Rockingbilly still being hypocritical having a pop at others for what they spend their pip on, whilst at the same time bragging how he gives his away to his grandchildren.
    Originally posted by CTcelt1988
    Not at all. Others on here have suggested that if you don't use the award to pay for the extra costs that a disability brings to the table then you actually shouldn't be claiming it in the first place.

I admit that I didn't use it in that way and up until when the DLA was suspended then terminated I gave the money to my kids.

What I was seeking was to find others that did the same (using it for other things) every week instead. Seems that there are and I am being accused of hypocrisy??? Others need to put their own house in order before having a go at me.
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 14th Mar 17, 5:40 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    He feels hard done by now because he didn't get his PIP award and he is not getting enough attention or recognition. So he's decided to increase his trolling posts to achieve same.
    Originally posted by Tommo1980
    Not at all - I am trying to get some half decent replies offering sensible help and advice.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 14th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    • 12,089 Posts
    • 17,909 Thanks
    nannytone
    strangely enough, if i didn't need the money to meet the needs caused by my disability, then i wouldn't claim it.

i don't think most people would. it isn't like it's advertised and just a simple case of asking for it.

very few people are like Billy who claimed it just because he could.

it is the need that makes people seek help .

well normal people
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 14th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    At last, someone has come up with a sensible solution. It may need to be carefully monitored in the same way that Direct Payments are monitored by Social Services for it to work in order to avoid those wanting to take advantage of the scheme.
    The vetting of what is and what is not an acceptable payment will be easy to monitor.
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 14th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    . Some people are better off and some people are worse off. However there is no arguments that someone is less in need than you but gets more money.
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    ....as I was. And for that reason I was lambasted on this site for admitting it.
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 14th Mar 17, 6:42 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    strangely enough, if i didn't need the money to meet the needs caused by my disability, then i wouldn't claim it.

i don't think most people would. it isn't like it's advertised and just a simple case of asking for it.

very few people are like Billy who claimed it just because he could.

it is the need that makes people seek help .

well normal people
    Originally posted by nannytone
    You have a honest view of people. The vast majority of people in this country are of the opinion that you should claim everything that you are entitled to claim. Even AgeUK say that to all potential claimants.

Even Brown and Cameron claimed it for their children when it was clear that they were already wealthier than most that live in this country - a good example of get what you can.

How often do you see posts on this forum and others like it saying - what can I get, what can I claim, what am I entitled to?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,670Posts Today

8,663Users online

Martin's Twitter