Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stoodles
    • By Stoodles 13th Mar 17, 1:23 PM
    • 681Posts
    • 8,993Thanks
    Stoodles
    How do you use your PIP?
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:23 PM
    How do you use your PIP? 13th Mar 17 at 1:23 PM
    In another thread someone asked how people use the money they get from PIP, particularly if the y have no additional costs. It is an interesting question,. If I am awarded PIP, my plans are to use it to access treatment which I hope will eventually make me ineligible for PIP. Any money left after that would go to reducing the burden on my OH, who has uncomplainingly picked up all the tasks I used to do. Without him I would be facing significant costs now.
Page 1
    • bspm
    • By bspm 13th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    bspm
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    In another thread someone asked how people use the money they get from PIP, particularly if the y have no additional costs. It is an interesting question,. If I am awarded PIP, my plans are to use it to access treatment which I hope will eventually make me ineligible for PIP. Any money left after that would go to reducing the burden on my OH, who has uncomplainingly picked up all the tasks I used to do. Without him I would be facing significant costs now.
    Originally posted by Stoodles
    I save mine and use it for holidays mainly. I too have a significant other half that picks up all the extra work that needs doing that I can no longer do.
    Although we are unfortunate with my disability we are very fortunate in other ways, we own our home outright, have both taken early retirement and are very comfortable money wise if not health wise.

If I were still working then my salary would have been used in exactly the same way I now use PIP for.
    Last edited by bspm; 13-03-2017 at 2:27 PM.
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 13th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    • 10,105 Posts
    • 18,694 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    For shelving before I break my neck trying to move around this house
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • Tommo1980
    • By Tommo1980 13th Mar 17, 5:19 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    Tommo1980
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:19 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:19 PM
    Crack cocaine mostly.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 13th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 12,043 Posts
    • 17,824 Thanks
    nannytone
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    im still on dla and use 70% of the vare award to co fund my ps snf the mobility part is used for petrol/parking/bus fares etc.
    The remaining part of the care i save to buy gadgets that help me do what i need to
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 13th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    im still on dla and use 70% of the vare award to co fund my ps snf the mobility part is used for petrol/parking/bus fares etc.
    The remaining part of the care i save to buy gadgets that help me do what i need to
    Originally posted by nannytone
    ....and the other 30% of the care award??
    And as for the mobility element everybody has to pay for petrol/parking/bus fares whether they are disabled or not. What you quote don't appear to be the extra costs resulting from your disability.
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 13th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    As you know I gave both my DLA care and mobility award to my children. At least I am making use of it - I could have spent it on holidays instead, but then that isn't an extra cost owing to my disabilities either.
    • bspm
    • By bspm 13th Mar 17, 7:04 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    bspm
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:04 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:04 PM
    As you know I gave both my DLA care and mobility award to my children. At least I am making use of it - I could have spent it on holidays instead, but then that isn't an extra cost owing to my disabilities either.
    Originally posted by rockingbilly
    I fly business class, that is why I use the PIP payment, a business class seat (bed) is a lot more than coach class, it is used for my disability.

I too am making use of mine thank you.

• rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 13th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    I fly business class, that is why I use the PIP payment, a business class seat (bed) is a lot more than coach class, it is used for my disability.

I too am making use of mine thank you.

Originally posted by bspm
    Very good. Pity that I am not allowed to fly due to my condition and secondly because I can't afford the insurance premium - I was quoted for a 1 week visit to France £1675.
    • CTcelt1988
    • By CTcelt1988 13th Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    CTcelt1988
    Your in no position Rockingbilly to judge others what they spend their PIP on, when you give your money away to your grandchildren.
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 13th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    tomtom256
    ....and the other 30% of the care award??
    And as for the mobility element everybody has to pay for petrol/parking/bus fares whether they are disabled or not. What you quote don't appear to be the extra costs resulting from your disability.
    It is if you can't walk and have no choice but to drive. Especially if you need more space for a wheelchair, scooter etc.

Some able bodied people can walk a mile to work, most disabled people cannot, so petrol in this case would be an extra cost because of the disability, as would parking, bus fares etc.
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 13th Mar 17, 8:12 PM
    • 10,105 Posts
    • 18,694 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Very good. Pity that I am not allowed to fly due to my condition...
    Oh I'm sure you'd find someone who'd help you fly.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • stressedaah30
    • By stressedaah30 13th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    • 1,283 Posts
    • 10,873 Thanks
    stressedaah30
    my dla goes on taxis and bus fares even tho i have bus pass i have 2 child fares to pay and i dont drive
    nice food its one of my few pleasures in life
    massage and chiropodist which aid my relaxation with the condition
    waiting for my pip decision to see if i,ll be better or wworse off
    JAN WINS- pepsi tshirt,
    • fed up and stressed
    • By fed up and stressed 13th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 3,321 Thanks
    fed up and stressed
    My care component goes on extra heating costs, a large upfront payment for my motability WAV and my self funded power wheelchair. I also have extra fuel costs because I have to drive to places such as my local post office and chemist that others would walk to because of inconsiderate parkers parking their vehicles on the pavement making them inaccessible to use my wheelchair
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 14th Mar 17, 12:11 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    Your in no position Rockingbilly to judge others what they spend their PIP on, when you give your money away to your grandchildren.
    Originally posted by CTcelt1988
    I am when I am the subject of abuse on here when I admit that I don't have any extra care costs so I gave the money to my children , yet others spend it on holidays and other such things which again are not extra costs.
    Let's have a fair playing field eh? - Kettle , black pot??
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 14th Mar 17, 12:13 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    It is if you can't walk and have no choice but to drive. Especially if you need more space for a wheelchair, scooter etc.

Some able bodied people can walk a mile to work, most disabled people cannot, so petrol in this case would be an extra cost because of the disability, as would parking, bus fares etc.
    Originally posted by tomtom256
    Instead of jumping in and answering a post that wasn't directed at you we allow Nannytone to explain it in her own words?
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 14th Mar 17, 12:18 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    my dla goes on taxis and bus fares even tho i have bus pass i have 2 child fares to pay and i dont drive
    nice food its one of my few pleasures in life
    massage and chiropodist which aid my relaxation with the condition
    waiting for my pip decision to see if i,ll be better or wworse off
    Originally posted by stressedaah30
    So you spend your DLA on bus fares for your children and not for yourself as you have a bus pass in any event?
    I love nice food, and no doubt thousands of able bodied others who work for the National Minimum Wage do, but can't afford it.
    I'd like to relax but with what happens in my life it makes it an impossibility so I take the medication and cope best I can..
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Mar 17, 12:20 AM
    • 14,782 Posts
    • 36,784 Thanks
    elsien
    Nannytone doesn't have to explain anything if she doesn't want to.
    Although you might want to re-read her post again.

The OP asked people what they spend their PIP and people are answering that. It doesn't have to turn into the rockingbillly show.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • bspm
    • By bspm 14th Mar 17, 12:27 AM
    • 370 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    bspm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlxTxWNi7k0

• GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 14th Mar 17, 7:36 AM
    • 6,134 Posts
    • 11,090 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Care, care, more care and technically car lift share payments though the cost of care is more than my PIP with both elements combined, I think I'd need an extra £150 every 4 weeks for PIP to cover the entirety of my care costs. I don't get direct payments because this is a working household so we have wages coming in and the recommended council care package that I was offered years ago was totally useless, how am I supposed to hold down a job when a carer can appear any time between 7 and 10 to help me get up and dressed?
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,893Posts Today

8,592Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin