Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pbsmiles
    • By pbsmiles 13th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 30Thanks
    pbsmiles
    Tax Credits Advice Please
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    Tax Credits Advice Please 13th Mar 17 at 12:46 PM
    Hello

I have never been in a position to claim, however last year I went part time and my earnings dropped so this tax year should product about 22k earnings. I have been sent through the claim form, can you advise me on the best tips when completing it and is there anything that i should look out for. The previous year I earned 33k so I need to really stress that my situation has changed.

Thank you.

Page 2
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 13th Mar 17, 4:03 PM
    • 3,959 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    Had she claimed at the beginning of the tax year and (presumably) received a zero award, would she then have received more for this year seeing as the claim would already have been in place?

If so, is everyone better off making a claim for tax credits, on the off chance you might end up qualifying due to a drop in wages?
    Originally posted by andrewmp
    If a zero award and a change in income was reported that started entitlement, payments would start (although any money due from April until the date the change was reported would be held as a potential payment until the end of the year).

Whether you should make a claim and leave it as a zero award really depends on your personal circunstances and how likely you think it is that there will be a change. It would really be a personal choice, there's nothing to stop you from doing it.
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 13th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 3,228 Posts
    • 2,219 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    It is called a protective claim http://revenuebenefits.org.uk/tax-credits/guidance/how-do-tax-credits-work/making-a-claim/tax-credits-protective-claims/ and yes, it can be valuable if you have a fall in income.

IQ
    • pbsmiles
    • By pbsmiles 14th Mar 17, 1:22 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    pbsmiles
    I have just rang the tax credits office and they have told me to complete form as 2015/2016 but put a covering letter in with a copy of my last pay slip as we are coming to the end of the next financial year and they will consider all of this.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 14th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    And no doubt send you an award, for 2016:17, based on £33000
    • andrewmp
    • By andrewmp 14th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    andrewmp
    It is called a protective claim http://revenuebenefits.org.uk/tax-credits/guidance/how-do-tax-credits-work/making-a-claim/tax-credits-protective-claims/ and yes, it can be valuable if you have a fall in income.

IQ
    Originally posted by Icequeen99
    Worth knowing, thanks.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 14th Mar 17, 3:06 PM
    • 3,959 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    And no doubt send you an award, for 2016:17, based on £33000
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused
    I'd have to agree.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 14th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    No doubt a polite way for tax credits office to get the op off the phone.

And every day the op prevaricates and delays sending in the claim they are losing money as i guess the claim can only be backdated so far?
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 14th Mar 17, 3:36 PM
    • 3,959 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    No doubt a polite way for tax credits office to get the op off the phone.

And every day the op prevaricates and delays sending in the claim they are losing money as i guess the claim can only be backdated so far?
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused
    One month from the date it is received by HMRC. There are a few exceptions but none that seem to apply here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,969Posts Today

6,210Users online

Martin's Twitter