Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pbsmiles
    • By pbsmiles 13th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    • 58Posts
    • 36Thanks
    pbsmiles
    First Time Renting - any advice appreciated
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    First Time Renting - any advice appreciated 13th Mar 17 at 12:42 PM
    Hi Guys

I am in the process of selling my home and going to do rented for two years before I move in with my partner 100 miles away from where i live.

I will have six months rent to pay upfront and have two cats which ideally I want to take with me.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to expect, look for and whether rents are negotiable. As havn't got a clue where to start.

thank you you wonderful people you.
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Mar 17, 12:55 PM
    • 3,365 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:55 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:55 PM
    avoid gumtree and never wire deposits unless you know the person

Look at the sticky:

tenant's guide to renting

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=937335
    Last edited by csgohan4; 13-03-2017 at 2:40 PM.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • rjw4
    • By rjw4 13th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    rjw4
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    Hi Guys

I am in the process of selling my home and going to do rented for two years before I move in with my partner 100 miles away from where i live.

I will have six months rent to pay upfront and have two cats which ideally I want to take with me.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to expect, look for and whether rents are negotiable. As havn't got a clue where to start.

thank you you wonderful people you.
    Originally posted by pbsmiles
    Hello
    Have they asked for 6 months rent in advance? Usually it's only 6 weeks (may be different if you have cats though - I've never had pets when renting).
    As far as I'm aware, the rent paid where I live is non-negotiable as somebody else will pay it if you are not willing to!
    The main piece of advice I will give is take photos of everything when you move in & check the inventory is accurate! I used to take photos of my meter readings every month (check the one on the inventory is correct as I previously nearly paid someone else's bill - this was my first rental place & I was naive!).
    If they ask you to 'professionally clean' on check out, just do it yourself. I used an oven cleaner from Home Bargains which cost about a fiver compared to what I was quoted via a cleaning company!
    Good luck
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    • 13,452 Posts
    • 13,010 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    Hello
    Have they asked for 6 months rent in advance? Usually it's only 6 weeks (may be different if you have cats though - I've never had pets when renting).
    As far as I'm aware, the rent paid where I live is non-negotiable as somebody else will pay it if you are not willing to!
    The main piece of advice I will give is take photos of everything when you move in & check the inventory is accurate! I used to take photos of my meter readings every month (check the one on the inventory is correct as I previously nearly paid someone else's bill - this was my first rental place & I was naive!).
    If they ask you to 'professionally clean' on check out, just do it yourself. I used an oven cleaner from Home Bargains which cost about a fiver compared to what I was quoted via a cleaning company!
    Good luck
    Originally posted by rjw4
    - Where is it usual to be 6 weeks?!
    • justme111
    • By justme111 13th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 2,562 Posts
    • 2,435 Thanks
    justme111
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    When looking at properties watch out for estate agents' endless list of charges - those may be a factor in choosing which property you would go for.
    "No pets" clause is often negotiable.
    Ask around, someone may know someone who has a house to rent to avoid dealing with agencies.
    When fixed term finishes you do not have to sign another contract and pay money for "renewal" as it often suggested by agencies unless landlord specifically insists on it .
    • rjw4
    • By rjw4 14th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    rjw4
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    - Where is it usual to be 6 weeks?!
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Every property I've rented has been 6 weeks, same with both of my sisters.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

451Posts Today

4,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin