Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bajjo
    • By Bajjo 13th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    • 385Posts
    • 4,089Thanks
    Bajjo
    CV critique request
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    CV critique request 13th Mar 17 at 12:01 PM
    Hi,

I'm looking for critiques on these two versions of the same CV, they have been anonymised. Specifically which will work best.

Version 1: http://docdro.id/wsIn4u0

Version 2: http://docdro.id/DxSHNq3

in version 2 some of the formatting has broken since uploading so please ignore that as best you can and some of the photos I have replaced to keep it anonymous.

Thanks!
    Bitcoin. If you haven't heard of it, you have now.
Page 1
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 13th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 16,768 Posts
    • 27,212 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    CV1 - good length. Rather boring to look at. Too many bullet points where you could have used a paragraph describing your job, then your achievements (in bullets).

Format it better, turn some bullets into paragraphs and you'll probably be ok with this.

CV 2 is too long. I don't even bother looking at it since it's 5 pages long. In the bin. I don't care what book you are reading either. Is the last page a joke?

So - there's a need for compromise. CV-1 isn't too far off, but it needs to look nicer.

Quite interesting since you went to school only 2 years after me
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 13th Mar 17, 1:38 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:38 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:38 PM
    CV1 is the standard format and is more appropriate for most jobs.

CV2 looks good, but I'd only use that sort of format if you were applying for a job in a creative industry such as advertising or marketing. It is also too long - remember that employers might receive hundreds of CVs so need to be able to get the key information quickly.
    • Scorpio33
    • By Scorpio33 13th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    Scorpio33
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    CV1 is best.

CV2 is awful. Too long and for me, photos on a CV are a big no no.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 13th Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    • 7,997 Posts
    • 35,695 Thanks
    tea lover
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    CV1, with some format tweaks.

CV2 is about 3 times too long and a lot of the content just isn't relevant.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    • 9,400 Posts
    • 7,366 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    CV2 was binned after reading 1st page.

CV1 - what did you do between 2003 and 2007?

It seems very formulaic, but I suppose it is no worse or no better than many other CVs.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 13th Mar 17, 4:29 PM
    • 12,998 Posts
    • 11,072 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:29 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:29 PM
    The purpose of a cover letter is to get the CV read
    The purpose of a CV is to get you in for interview
    The purpose of the interview is to get the job.

A company advertises for employees because they have a problem they need to solve, and no other reason. That means whoever is recruiting has a problem, and is overstretched to need a new employee. They're overstretched and so don't have time to waste on froth. Your CV needs to say in the most efficient way possible "I can solve your problem so your life can calm down again"

The CV isn't the place to "sell" your personality with photos and clipart, you'll sell yourself at interview. Your CV needs to simply promise you can solve their skills shortage. Keep it concise, and ideally show by halfway down the first page that you are the person they are looking for who can solve their problem
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    • 3,608 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    CV2 is awful. All the graphics and photo's make me think of a kid who's just discovered colouring pencils!
    A CV needs to be concise and very rarely over 2 pages.
    • saker75
    • By saker75 13th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    saker75
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    I agree. CV2 is a nice idea badly executed.
    I would want data in there too. Talking about creating communities but nothing about impact.
    And yeah, all the guff needs to go. Succinct can also be creative.
    • tripled
    • By tripled 13th Mar 17, 11:40 PM
    • 2,439 Posts
    • 1,098 Thanks
    tripled
    CV1
    Rather plain but functional. Don't talk about yourself in the 3rd person.

I would have expected a bit more detail in your 8 years at X. You worked in marketing. What were your successes? A CV isn't just a catalogue of your responsibilities but an ability to demonstrate what you can achieve. Look at Fairy. Its marketing is that a bottle of Fairy lasts x% longer than its competitors, not that its responsibility is cleaning dishes.

No-one cares about your high school grades. You have a degree and years of experience. Get rid of the them.

References - personally I simply put "References available on request" on my CV, but I know many people don't bother putting anything at all. Do you have a linkedin? If so and you haven't already, put it in your contact details. You can then put all your previous work history in there and omit this section altogether if you want to. If you don't have a linkedin, set one up.

For someone who works in marketing this CV really doesn't sell you.

CV2
    A better effort but it's messy and way too long. You need to get that down to two pages. Get rid of some of those pictures and reduce the space taken up by the header (omit it on the second page). Remember if you go through recruiters they will often anonymise CVs anyway so that becomes just wasted space. Get rid of superfluous information like high school grades. Be ruthless.

Page 1 of your CV needs to sell you. If there's not enough on page 1 to say "this person looks like he/she might be what we're looking for to fill this role", most of the time that will be game over. Page 2 becomes irrelevant, never mind pages three, four, five, etc.

Have you reviewed CV's before in your role as marketing team manager?

When I have reviewed CV's, I will scan the first page. So it needs to be easy to scan, and have enough information to be the "hook" to get the me to bother turning the page. Every person who reviews CV's is different, but most are busy and may have a number of CV's to review, so it's important your CV isn't discounted before you've got to the bit where you sell yourself.

Don't rely on the cover letter that some people have mentioned. They don't always make it as far as the person deciding whether to bring you in for an interview. Your CV needs to stand alone, the cover letter is an additional weapon and is important, but cannot be relied upon.

I will reiterate - page 1 of your CV must give the impression you seem suitable. Page 2 completes the picture. Your cover letter - if read - is used to grease your CV through the initial screening process, but think of it as a bonus if it makes it past this point.
    Last edited by tripled; 13-03-2017 at 11:47 PM.
    • Bajjo
    • By Bajjo 14th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    • 385 Posts
    • 4,089 Thanks
    Bajjo
    Thank you all for the replies, critiques and feedback! Lots for me to think about and improve, cheers.
    Bitcoin. If you haven't heard of it, you have now.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 14th Mar 17, 6:18 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    Sncjw
    Get rid of the pictures keep each role very consise. Given you work in marketing I would have thought you knew about copyright. Having them images on cv would scream to me are these your images to use or not.

The pictures don't look very professional on cv. Also cv tend to be in portrait format. I would lay down the key skills of your most recent job and the rest just the dates and title.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 14th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    Sncjw
    I would get rid of the travelling header because that jumps out to me. I would put it as employment gaps at the end of your list of employment.

I would reword the overview. Talk in first person.

I don't understand the bit of disabled people and families. What do you mean by that?
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 15th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 3,405 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    Is the last page a joke?
    Originally posted by ringo_24601
    I never made it to the last page. Read your comment and had to go back and look.

Are the pictures relevant or are you using them as place holders?

I thought CV2 was dreadful. I wouldn't read it either; well, not seriously.
    • jbond
    • By jbond 25th Mar 17, 3:19 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    jbond
    That line about reference calls on the first CV..... all I'd ever put is something like "References available on request".
    • mattcanary
    • By mattcanary 25th Mar 17, 3:27 PM
    • 4,084 Posts
    • 3,508 Thanks
    mattcanary
    Get rid of the pictures keep each role very consise. Given you work in marketing I would have thought you knew about copyright. Having them images on cv would scream to me are these your images to use or not.

The pictures don't look very professional on cv. Also cv tend to be in portrait format. I would lay down the key skills of your most recent job and the rest just the dates and title.
    Originally posted by Sncjw
    Marketing is a creative job. Perhaps a creatively laid-out CV would be thought of well within this career field?
    • Samiire
    • By Samiire 26th Mar 17, 7:37 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Samiire
    I agree with those who say CV2 is far too long. Lose the photo of yourself and the other images too. You can take a portfolio of work to the interview if you get one and refer to it if appropriate.

I'd also agree that a-level results aren't important once you have a degree and several years experience but would really care if they were on there either.

I'd definitely recommend adding figures to your CV to show the success of the projects you worked on. These don't have to be sensitive details but percentage growth etc.

I don't fully understand the second job you list. The job title is Marketing Coordinator and yet the bullet points say head of marketing. Which one is it?

I'm a marketing manager and regularly assess CVs and conduct interviews. We had 300 applicants to the last role I recruited for so my first assessment of the CVs was very much a quick scan so I could reduce the pool and then I'd look closer before shortlisting.

My personal preferences: I don't like CVs with photos but if you are a strong candidate I wouldn't discount you, I look first to see if you have a degree and in what (a requirement for team members), I then look at experience scanning for job title, duration of service, company name and any key words or results. Listing the marketing systems and software you can use in one place is a plus for me so I don't have to pick it out from within the CV.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,112Posts Today

7,719Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin