Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Batman2017
    • By Batman2017 13th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    • 55Posts
    • 37Thanks
    Batman2017
    How old is your mobile?
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    How old is your mobile? 13th Mar 17 at 11:53 AM
    Hi, I love the fact that my mobile is so cheap as i'm now out of contract. The thought of paying £20, £30 or even £40 + on a mobile a month now seems crazy to me. Lots of people seem to jump through hoops trying to keep up with ever changing phones but do they make your life any better?

whos with me? let me know what mobile you have, how old and how much a month?
Page 2
    • Huwbert
    • By Huwbert 16th Mar 17, 6:05 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Huwbert
    About 4 1/2 year old Samsung S3 - eyeing up the new S8 (have saved to buy it outright), as my phone is sooooo slow now and struggles to even take a half decent photo!
    • boliston
    • By boliston 16th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    boliston
    I have a 2014 nexus 6 i brought second hand and is now worth about 150 pounds, but it is one of the few phones that has an acceptably large 6 inch screen as my eyesight is no longer good enough to easily read tiny iphone sized screens. Even their flagship model is only 5.5 inches but that still seems quite small when you have less than perfect eyesight.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 16th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    • 8,505 Posts
    • 5,034 Thanks
    teddysmum
    My husband's Motorola is at least 27 years old. It's one of the very early analogue 'bricks' whose battery was the size of a shoe box.
    • Sjc1973
    • By Sjc1973 16th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    Sjc1973
    Wow TEDDYSMUM that might be worth something as it's a early edition of a mobile phone, or might be in a couple of years! Does he still use it?

I have a iPhone 5 that I bought outright in 2012. I got the battery changed In 2014 for free as apparently certain ones had a battery defect! I use it as a hotspot a lot for my iPad so it gets a lot of use. I would like to upgrade but that's not a need but a want, I can't justify the cost to buy outright again at the moment particularly as I also have an iPad now!
    Last edited by Sjc1973; 18-03-2017 at 1:59 PM.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Mar 17, 5:36 PM
    • 8,505 Posts
    • 5,034 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Wow TEDDYSMUM that might be worth something as it's a early edition of a mobile phone, or might be in a couple of years! Does he still use it?
    Originally posted by Sjc1973

The old phones were analogue, so will no longer work, but he has refused to get rid of it.

There are a number on Ebay and one person in Yorkshire is asking £1500. They will be lucky to get £50 including postage.

These are similar and his has the fabric carry case as shown in one of the photos.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1990+cell+phone&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X &ved=0ahUKEwjS9vvUzODSAhVKK8AKHaSRBDUQ_AUIBigB&biw =1280&bih=585#q=motorola+8500x&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:C X2iXufdbEtWIjhcF14-qo3JW31_1JAaxQNc5p2LbrWiyqWBTSHGt2JBPjZ_1K8J6bxRxR lSvBsIQb1ENPMPJI6nQl8ioSCVwXXj6qjclbETW07PYojMnIKh IJfX8kBrFA1zkR0QWyu-UbfgYqEgmnYtutaLKpYBHBzSILxSU6FCoSCVNIca3YkE-NETvFjS6We1NxKhIJn8rwnpvFHFERA4lapLg9SsYqEgmVK8Gwh BvUQxE7xY0ulntTcSoSCU8w8kjqdCXyEWdp4oT6bEgu&*&spf= 942
    Last edited by teddysmum; 18-03-2017 at 5:57 PM.
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 18th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 3,987 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Mine is a Sony Erickson, belonged to no1 son so must be over 15 yrs old. All I want is to text and phone
    • custardy
    • By custardy 18th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 32,683 Posts
    • 27,404 Thanks
    custardy
    Nexus 6P 64GB. Bought 10 months ago sim free for £410 on offer.
    Replaced my 3 year old HTC One M7.
    Currently on a sim only deal with cash back that works out at £3.24 per month!
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 18th Mar 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    Kim_13
    iPhone 5s - coming up for three and a half years. Have Three's 321 Pay as You Go. Changed from giffgaff (luckily phone is unlocked; I bought it direct from Apple.)

Thinking about jumping ship to Sony.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £200.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Swipe
    • By Swipe 19th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    Swipe
    Moto G (2014) - 28 months old now and still looks new. Cost me £150 when I bought it. I pay £3 for a 500mb / month data bundle on delight mobile.
    • alisont
    • By alisont 20th Mar 17, 7:31 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    alisont
    iPhone 6 - couple of years old now, paid for it outright and have a 12 month Sim deal with Vodafone which is £8.50 for 5gb data, unlimited texts and calls. That does run out very soon but hard to get through on live chat but keen to sign another deal - but don't think they do the 50% off deals anymore.

My phone before that was an iPhone 4 which lasted me years until I got the iPhone 6 - doubt I'll change my phone for anotner couple of years yet.

My Dads still using an old Sony handset of mine that's about 15 years but has nearly given up.
    Sealed Pot Challenge number 8 Amount declared £365.50.

Sealed pot challenge number 9 number 482
    • Ive got a lovely bunch of
    • By Ive got a lovely bunch of 20th Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Ive got a lovely bunch of
    lg g3 best phone I've owned had it for 3 and a half years and been on sim only since contract finish in November 2015
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 20th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    Kim_13
    iPhone 6 - couple of years old now, paid for it outright and have a 12 month Sim deal with Vodafone which is £8.50 for 5gb data, unlimited texts and calls. That does run out very soon but hard to get through on live chat but keen to sign another deal - but don't think they do the 50% off deals anymore.

My phone before that was an iPhone 4 which lasted me years until I got the iPhone 6 - doubt I'll change my phone for anotner couple of years yet.

My Dads still using an old Sony handset of mine that's about 15 years but has nearly given up.
    Originally posted by alisont
    The deal will continue on a rolling basis until cancelled by you or Vodafone. If Vodafone haven't sent you notification that they will be moving you to a new, less favourable plan, do nothing (unless you signed a contract that would automatically rise after 12 months, of course.)
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £200.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Timalay
    • By Timalay 20th Mar 17, 10:45 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    Timalay
    I've had my OnePlus X for about 9 months now. Got it just before they stopped production for it. Which incidentally it is now selling on Amazon in new condition (how it's new I'll never know because they stopped production months back) for £499.

Still got my original Philips Savvy from 1999 tucked away in a drawer somewhere I believe, and it still works.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 20th Mar 17, 11:56 PM
    • 7,717 Posts
    • 5,507 Thanks
    esuhl
    It's not a phone, but I still have a BT-Cellnet PUFFL (Pay Up-Front For Life) SIM card.

I bought it just after the turn of the century for £50, and still get 200 minutes a month free.

These days, inclusive allowances are much more generous, so it doesn't save me anything now (as I have another unlimited contract). But sixteen years of free calls was definitely worth the outlay.

Has anyone else still got one of these free-forever SIMs?!
    • Jorell00
    • By Jorell00 21st Mar 17, 12:15 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Jorell00
    I have a LG G4, that I bought new on Amazon sim free a year ago for £214. With a sim only deal on EE for £10 a month. 500 mins talk, 1gb data and unlimited texts. Great phone, absolutely love it. Im a real tech lover, but can't see myself needing to upgrade it for a few years.
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 21st Mar 17, 7:29 AM
    • 665 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    virgo17
    Has anyone else still got one of these free-forever SIMs?!
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Yes, we have two PUFL's in the family bought the same way you did.

They don't get much use these days for the same reason.
    • Newusername1
    • By Newusername1 23rd Mar 17, 2:52 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Newusername1
    Mines a 5 years old iPhone 4s. It's showing its age a bit, sort of throws the odd wobbly but gets me bye.

Contract virgin £15 per month for unimited calls, texts and 20gb (rollover) of data. I don't have wifi/broadband so I use my phone for Internet and sometimes tether my laptop so I use loads of data.

I will be upgrading to an iPhone 6 Plus as an XMAS present, second hand for approx. £250. I will keep my virgin call plan. I use my phone for the internet so want a bigger screen, I'm iOS mad and the iPhone 6 plus fits the bill, no way am I (or anyone) paying £700 for the iPhone 7 plus.
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 24th Mar 17, 5:55 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Korkyb
    Samsung Note 4 from a couple of years ago. I do get the itch to upgrade now and again but when I look at what I would be changing to it doesn't seem worth it. My Note does everything I need.

I'm on a 1000 min / Unlimited texts & 6gb data for £6 per month.

This is a deal I negotiated when my provider cocked up & I complained. (managed to get kids and wifie on the same deal).

I don't think I'll be changing provider for a wee while ;-)
    • alwaysskint96
    • By alwaysskint96 24th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 877 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    alwaysskint96
    Samsung S6- bought for £50 from daughter with a giffgaff sim in that costs me £7.50 a month
    • Chapuys
    • By Chapuys 25th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    Chapuys
    Current Mobile: iPhone 6 (2014). Bought Sim Free and on £10 Tesco Mobile fully capped rolling contract now
    Previous mobile: iPhone 4S (2011). Bought Sim Free and on £10 Tesco Mobile 12 month fully capped contract
    Previous previous mobile: iPhone 4 (2010)
    Previous previous previous mobile: iPhone 3GS (2009)
    Previous previous previous previous mobile: iPhone 3G (2008)

I didn't get the first iPhone but I became a slave to the system until 2012 when I ran out of money (teacher training). I then decided after the 4S to only buy a new iPhone (I'm still an Apple slave) when it has a key feature I want. I bought the iPhone 6 for Apple Pay and I'm waiting for the fully waterproof iPhone (the iPhone 7 is only water resistant and there is a slight difference between resistant and proof) then that should be my last upgrade until I think of some other really worthwhile feature.
    Last edited by Chapuys; 25-03-2017 at 8:45 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,156Posts Today

6,590Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin