Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zoothornrollo
    • By zoothornrollo 13th Mar 17, 10:08 AM
    • 169Posts
    • 16Thanks
    zoothornrollo
    Interior design experts: Loft paint colour scheme help plse
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:08 AM
    Interior design experts: Loft paint colour scheme help plse 13th Mar 17 at 10:08 AM
    Hello, we have a small loft conversion, double bedroom & ensuite, to decorate.
    It's got low sloping ceilings and lots of angles and not much wall. So we are going to follow received wisdom and paint wall and ceilings same colour.
    We are looking at a white with a bit of grey in it like Farrow & Ball's Ammonite.
    The question is whether we pick out the woodwork in a different shade; and if so whether to make that shade darker or lighter.
    I always assumed that we would paint the woodwork a different shade but someone said painting it darker could make the room look smaller by drawing the eye to the skirting-boards etc.
    So I'm leaning away from that.
    Also painting everything the same colour could make it feel more airy, spacious and restful.
    Also if we want the walls quite light then if the woodwork is going to be lighter it will have to be a v white shade?
    Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited by zoothornrollo; 14-03-2017 at 9:55 AM.
Page 1
    • Horseygirl123
    • By Horseygirl123 13th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    Horseygirl123
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    Ive experimented with a couple of rooms using the same colour on woodwork and walls. I'm also a farrow and ball fan. My bathroom has a sloping roof and Velux Windows. I painted ceiling, walls in Elephants breath and then thought I'd see what the woodwork would look like painted the same colour. It looks lovely and I've had many compliments. There is something very restful about it. I've just finished painting my hall, stairs and landing in dimity, both woodwork and walls. Again I'm very pleased with it.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 22,917 Posts
    • 64,510 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    People talk rubbish when it comes to making rooms looking bigger and smaller. Ultimately, they are the same size, regardless of what you do and you must do what you love. On the flip side of what your friend says, a darker woodwork makes your wall colour seem lighter.

The last loft conversion we did featured a lot of secret panelling in the walls for wardrobes and storage so all the walls and panelling was painted in Pavilion Grey. The main woodwork of doors and architraves (and bit of skirting that there was on the one wall) were left white; the hardest thing with changing the colour of woodwork is that is is usually all linked throughout the house and you have to make a decision on how to try and make a door and a doorframe look good when they are a different colour on each side. There has to be, quite literally, a line drawn somewhere. It may be noticeable.

For ease, one colour through the house and for most that means white.

If you choose a F&B contrast, Strong White works well with Ammonite. On the dark side, Purbeck Stone. I do adore darker woodwork. I also like everything the same colour. It's classy. White woodwork really isn't that exciting.

Just do what you like and stop listening
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • zoothornrollo
    • By zoothornrollo 13th Mar 17, 1:49 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    zoothornrollo
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:49 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:49 PM
    thanks both v useful

just been to F&B shop again, and she suggested painting everything the same colour, but said maybe consider a darker shade like Purbeck Stone...

she also said that as the windows point east and west we risk making it cold with whites that have a grey / blue tint in them, and might want to consider a creamier white like Slipper Satin....
    • zoothornrollo
    • By zoothornrollo 13th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    zoothornrollo
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    so yes, had better stop listening!
    • marc81
    • By marc81 13th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    marc81
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    We wanted a nice pale grey for our walls which didn't look too blue in light, a proper grey... we went for polished pebble by dulux with white woodwork and i'm really pleased with it.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 13th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    We just did ours, everything vertical was dulux putting green, everything else white. V pleased with it all.

Last edited by glasgowdan; 13-03-2017 at 8:35 PM.
    • zoothornrollo
    • By zoothornrollo 14th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    zoothornrollo
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    Thanks both - am now looking at F&B's Skimming Stone, all over:

• Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 14th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 22,917 Posts
    • 64,510 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    Will be lovely
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,107Posts Today

11,967Users online

Martin's Twitter