Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DEFERREDPENS
    • By DEFERREDPENS 13th Mar 17, 9:37 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 5Thanks
    DEFERREDPENS
    Warranty dispute
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:37 AM
    Warranty dispute 13th Mar 17 at 9:37 AM
    The ABS warning light has come on in my Zafira and the main dealer has advised that I need a new sensor, but this is built into the wheel bearing, so I need a new wheel bearing at a cost of over £300.
    My Zafira is covered by a lifetime warranty and the list of items covered includes the ABS system however Vauxhall are now rejecting this repair but won't show me where their warranty says that the ABS component in question is excluded.
    I guess that my next step is legal action via the small claims court?
    Any advice appreciated. Thank you
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 17, 9:43 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:43 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:43 AM
    I had one changed by an independent garage for £50.
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 13th Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 3,695 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    I would complain first in writing if possible and point out than ABS sensors are not consumible parts and thus they don't wear out. If it's defective and doesn't have any damage on it from rocks or the likes, they should replace it.

It won't be part of the wheel bearing, but might be part of the hub (but seems unlikely)
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 13th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    This should be covered by warranty, what do Vauxhall expect you to do, cover the sensor with a waterproof bag so it don't get dirty.

My guess is the lifetime warranty has been to expensive and now they are trying to wriggle out of the claims

Stick to your guns and let them cave in.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 25,294 Posts
    • 10,038 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    I would complain first in writing if possible and point out than ABS sensors are not consumible parts and thus they don't wear out. If it's defective and doesn't have any damage on it from rocks or the likes, they should replace it.

It won't be part of the wheel bearing, but might be part of the hub (but seems unlikely)
    Originally posted by Retrogamer
    Quite common for the ABS sensor to be built into the wheelbearing. The bearings are usually a pair and one will have a black ring which must face the ABS pickup when fitted.

Seen a few with ABS lights on just before a bearing fails and ABS lights on after bearings have been changed because the mechanic dodnt know about the black/grey magnetic ring built into the bearing.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,077 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    "Lifetime" warranty Ts & Cs...
    http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/owners_services/warranty_assistance/warranty/lifetime_warranty_terms.html

Covered components of the Lifetime warranty
    The Lifetime Warranty is valid only for the following components of the vehicle:
    4. Brake system: ABS/ESP system including hydraulic unit, brake booster, main and wheel brake cylinders, vacuum pump, brake proportioning valve.
    No mention of the wheel sensor.
    Furthermore, not covered are all service maintenance repairs and wear and tear parts. Excluded is the replacement of components that have failed due to wear and tear.
    Their argument will probably be that the wheel bearing has worn, which has caused the failure of the ABS sensor, which in any case is not on the list of explicitly covered components. Assuming it's a Mk2 Zafira, then the hub/bearing/ABS sensor are a single unit, replaced as a whole.

(And we won't even go NEAR the apparent assumption that the "lifetime" of a vehicle is apparently only 100,000 miles with the first owner, 36mo/60,000 miles or 1yr/unlimited mileage...)
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 13th Mar 17, 4:50 PM
    • 8,285 Posts
    • 12,551 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:50 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:50 PM
    At least we can look forward to some French reliability and build quality soon.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • DEFERREDPENS
    • By DEFERREDPENS 14th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    DEFERREDPENS
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    Wording interpretation
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:40 AM
    Thank for everyone's comments and I'm now awaiting Vauxhall's response to my latest correspondence with them.

I think Adrian C's thoughts are particularly relevant as he has identified that Vauxhall may have a different interpretation of the wording of their warranty.

However my view, backed up by legal advice, is that the way the warranty is worded does not exclude the new part which I need (new wheel bearing which includes the sensor - the wheel bearing is fine by the way, only the sensor has failed) i.e. part 4 of their terms should not have had the word 'including' followed by a list of parts. Could be an interesting day in court if we end up there.

Thanks again
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 2,743 Posts
    • 2,763 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    I agree .. "including" suggests a non-exhaustive list. If they wanted to limit the scope covered then they should have used wording like "limited to" or similar.

And bear in mind .. in contract terms with a consumer, contra preferentem applies. (i.e. if a term can be construed two ways, the way that benefits the consumer shall apply). In more legal terms "The contra proferentem rule states, broadly, that where there is doubt about the meaning of the contract, the words will be construed against the person who put them forward".
    Last edited by DoaM; 14-03-2017 at 1:07 PM.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 15,093 Posts
    • 8,525 Thanks
    motorguy
    I had one changed by an independent garage for £50.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    ^^^^
    This

I'd be checking how much a local indy would be charging for fitting a new sensor - which seem readily available on ebay for a few £ - and then deciding if trying to "go legal" is worthwhile
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • DEFERREDPENS
    • By DEFERREDPENS 15th Mar 17, 11:49 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    DEFERREDPENS
    I agree ... but ..
    I agree that this would be a practical solution Paul, but unless the independent repairer uses original Vauxhall parts, this would invalidate my warranty.
    Also, there is a principle at stake here!
    Thanks again
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Mar 17, 11:51 AM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,077 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I agree that this would be a practical solution Paul, but unless the independent repairer uses original Vauxhall parts, this would invalidate my warranty.
    Originally posted by DEFERREDPENS
    Because that warranty is worth its weight in gold, right?
    • DEFERREDPENS
    • By DEFERREDPENS 17th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    DEFERREDPENS
    I'll let you know when I've heard the decision from Vauxhall!
    • DEFERREDPENS
    • By DEFERREDPENS 6th Apr 17, 5:13 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    DEFERREDPENS
    Update - Vauxhall agreed that the ABS system was a warranty item - my OSF sensor and wheel bearing has been replaced under warranty - who'd have believed it!!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,077 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Good result for you!
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 6th Apr 17, 5:35 PM
    • 15,093 Posts
    • 8,525 Thanks
    motorguy
    Update - Vauxhall agreed that the ABS system was a warranty item - my OSF sensor and wheel bearing has been replaced under warranty - who'd have believed it!!
    Originally posted by DEFERREDPENS
    Good result - and pleasantly surprising.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,984Posts Today

9,443Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin