Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 13th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    • 443Posts
    • 738Thanks
    seashore22
    NPower keep sending incorrect bill.
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    NPower keep sending incorrect bill. 13th Mar 17 at 8:51 AM
    I'm posting on behalf of a relative.

She moved into a new flat late last year and immediately changed energy suppliers from NPower to another company, mainly due to NPower's bad reputation.

She gave NPower the correct meter readings, but they keep sending her a bill which includes the week before she moved in. She has phoned them on numerous occasions, but she is now getting weekly bills marked as "urgent demand". An email was sent to the complaints department including a copy of the tenancy agreement with relevant dates and details of all her communications with them. Another "urgent demand" arrived this weekend.

Does anyone have any advice about what can be done to sort this out? She is a very organised person who wouldn't dream of paying a bill late and this is really stressing her out.

The difference between the bill they have sent and the correct one would be about £5, but their incompetence is making this a matter of principle now. Not to mention the fact that £5 is a big deal when you are having to count every penny.
Page 1
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 13th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    • 26,575 Posts
    • 12,807 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    Your relative is responsible for bill when she took over the tenancy.

Presumably there is a discrepancy between the closing meter readings(and date of leaving) given by the old tenant(or letting agent) and the opening meter readings given by your relative??

I am surprised that for £5 they haven't written off that sum.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 13th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 443 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    Of course she's responsible for bills, just not the ones from before her tenancy.

I think it's a "computer says no" situation. Every time she calls them they have records of her previous calls and the last time they said that they would put the account on hold while they sorted it out. This hasn't been done, as far as we can tell.

I think there was a week between tenancies while the landlord did a bit or work on the property. Maybe my relative needs to contact the landlord, as that seems to be the cause of the problem. Don't know why I didn't think of that before.
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 13th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 2,816 Posts
    • 1,417 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    In the strange world of energy suppliers, an Emailed Complaint doesn't carry the weight of a wrtten one delivered by Royal Mail, particlarly with N'power as they under the cosh from Ofgem to lower the level of Complaints and have an incentive to 'lose' or just close them as satisfied when they are not

WRITE to N'power heading the letter Complaint - Big & bold just like that - setting out the detail of this saga and enclosing copies of the paperwork
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 13th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    Thanks for that. I will pass on all the advice and hope for the best.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 13th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    The landlord bit appears to be a red herring.

Apparently my relative has informed NPower of this and it is normal for utilities companies to invoice the landlord for periods between tenancies. They have the landlord's details. They really are incompetent.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Mar 17, 6:02 PM
    • 7,788 Posts
    • 4,613 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:02 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:02 PM
    As above, I would assume that your relative was liable from when they took the tenancy and not just the date of moving in, if the latter was later.

Many people like a little time to do up a home, possibly using power, before moving in. Even if no power was used standing charges would apply, just like when you go on holiday, so use just electricity (freezer, aquarium etc) but no gas.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 13th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    I'm posting on behalf of a relative.

She moved into a new flat late last year and immediately changed energy suppliers from NPower to another company, mainly due to NPower's bad reputation.

She gave NPower the correct meter readings, but they keep sending her a bill which includes the week before she moved in. She has phoned them on numerous occasions, but she is now getting weekly bills marked as "urgent demand". An email was sent to the complaints department including a copy of the tenancy agreement with relevant dates and details of all her communications with them. Another "urgent demand" arrived this weekend.

Does anyone have any advice about what can be done to sort this out? She is a very organised person who wouldn't dream of paying a bill late and this is really stressing her out.

The difference between the bill they have sent and the correct one would be about £5, but their incompetence is making this a matter of principle now. Not to mention the fact that £5 is a big deal when you are having to count every penny.
    Originally posted by seashore22
    Point your relative in the direction of the nPower complaint process.
    Last edited by footyguy; 13-03-2017 at 8:38 PM.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 21st Mar 17, 8:21 AM
    • 443 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 21st Mar 17, 8:21 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 8:21 AM
    The email to the complaints department seems to have done the trick. My relative has received a new bill which still covers the disputed dates, but is about £9 less than previously. It has been paid and the account closed. Hopefully that's the problem sorted.

Thanks for all the help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,552Posts Today

7,934Users online

Martin's Twitter