Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 13th Mar 17, 7:21 AM
    • 7,301Posts
    • 24,806Thanks
    Primrose
    100 interesting ways to use potatoes !
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:21 AM
    100 interesting ways to use potatoes ! 13th Mar 17 at 7:21 AM
    All your suggestions here please.
    Hopefully lots of people will have some interesting and inspirational ideas.

Kicking off with:

Use surplus dry herb stuffing in mashed potatoes. Shape into rissoles and fry in shallow fat until crispy brown on both sides.
    Last edited by Primrose; 13-03-2017 at 9:57 AM.
Page 2
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th Mar 17, 10:15 AM
    • 2,507 Posts
    • 31,803 Thanks
    monnagran
    i used to organise 'Forties Evenings' for church 'dos'. I duplicated lots of wartime recipes and everyone who came had to choose a recipe to make and bring the result with them. These offerings formed the food part of the evening.

My contribution was always something made with Potato Pastry, jam tarts, sausage rolls, mock something flan..........
    The pastry always went down well.

2 RECIPES

1) 6oz SR flour, with 2oz cooking fat rubbed in. Add 2oz grated, raw potato, mix well and bind with a little water. Roll out and use as ordinary shortcrust pastry.

2) Rub 11/2 - 2oz cooking fat into 4oz SR flour. Add 4oz smooth mashed potato, mix thoroughly and use a little water to bind. Roll out and use as shortcrust pastry.

And don't forget your gas mask!
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Mar 17, 6:20 PM
    • 14,509 Posts
    • 114,672 Thanks
    JackieO
    I googled potato cheese balls and there are some really great recipes online
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    Love Food, Hate Waste, for Lent.
    Spent so far this month £3.78 second spend today bringing my total for the month to £25.13
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 17th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 3,799 Posts
    • 3,308 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Stick one up somebody's exhaust pipe to stop their car starting.
    Signed Sleazy
    Otherwise known as the Lounge Lizard
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 17th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 3,799 Posts
    • 3,308 Thanks
    Sleazy
    You can use them to make 'Hooch'
    Signed Sleazy
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 17th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 3,954 Posts
    • 5,480 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    You can use them to make 'Hooch'
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    What is hooch?
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 17th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    • 3,799 Posts
    • 3,308 Thanks
    Sleazy
    What is hooch?
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    An alcoholic substance made from potato peelings .... there is also a fancy drink called 'hooch' .... ugh.
    Signed Sleazy
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 17th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    • 3,954 Posts
    • 5,480 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    An alcoholic substance made from potato peelings .... there is also a fancy drink called 'hooch' .... ugh.
    Yuk, we used to feed our rabbit on boiled potato peelings and bran.

You mean this -
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 17th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 7,056 Thanks
    kboss2010
    The "fancy" alcopop that all 90's kids drank underage? Lol. Weather spoons have recently started selling it again, it's alcoholic sherbet in a bottle!

I make sweet potato pie topping using sweet potato, butter, nutmeg, salt & pepper to taste.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 17th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 3,954 Posts
    • 5,480 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Bake potato slices and tuck them into the middle of a glorious grilled cheese sandwich.
    Put secret lamb stew inside a potato to make baby shepherd’s pies.
    Wrap chunks of potato in cozy bacon blankets to make one-bite appetizers.
    Turn baked potatoes into ship-shape little pizza boats.
    Mix the insides of a baked potato with cheddar and Sriracha, then bake it again.

https://www.justataste.com/cheesy-leftover-mashed-potato-waffles-recipe/
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 17th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 4,150 Posts
    • 9,983 Thanks
    Seakay
    What is hooch?
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    hooch
    huːtʃ
    noun informal

alcoholic drink, especially inferior or illicit whisky.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 17th Mar 17, 11:42 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 16,786 Thanks
    JIL
    I once went to a potato cooking demonstration, they made parcels you lay out a square of foil for each person and oil it gently, then add sliced potatoes and sliced onions, season well add sliced apple and pop a pork chop on top, make your parcel and bake for an hour.

I actually like tinned potatoes, they make great Spanish omlette.

Fishcakes, but using tinned tuna.
    I also like the Delia ones where she makes a kind of rosti fishcake.

Do people do the same as me and buy different varieties of potato depending on what you use them for?
    Last edited by JIL; 17-03-2017 at 11:46 PM.
    • cbrown372
    • By cbrown372 18th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    cbrown372
    Drink and posting on the internet is never a good idea

I really liked Mary Berry's recipe for bacon rossti with fried eggs but when it came down to making it, it seemed easier to just have bacon and eggs. Like the sound of potato and cheese balls.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama
    • MotheroftheKid
    • By MotheroftheKid 19th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    MotheroftheKid
    Not really using leftover cooked potatoes, but what I do when I buy a bag of potatoes and I know I'm not going to use them before they start sprouting is cook them all as jacket potatoes, when cooked, cut into wedges, open freeze, then bag up for "frozen wedges". Cook them as frozen chips whenever required.
    • lillibet dripping
    • By lillibet dripping 19th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 11,560 Thanks
    lillibet dripping
    Isn't vodka made from potatoes?
    [DFW Nerd club #1142Proud to be dealing with my debtDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862April 2013 = £20414 April 2014 = £11000 April 2015 = £9500 April 2016 = £7200
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM
    • Bumblebear
    • By Bumblebear 22nd Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    Bumblebear
    Potato ladies - I feel I ought to know this, but I call upon your combined wisdom... if I were to peel and chop potatoes tomorrow evening for cooking on Friday evening, can I coat them in oil to stop them from browning, or will only putting them in water suffice?

Have given up the purchasing of all potato products as we now get sacks of spuds from the farm shop at stupidly low prices (£2 for 12.5kg anyone? ) - and Friday night dinner involves homemade chips, but I'm pretty time poor and starving on a Friday by the time I'm home! I was hoping I could have them oven ready tomorrow night by coating them in a teaspoon of oil and garlic granules tomorrow to speed things up on Friday.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 22nd Mar 17, 1:38 PM
    • 21,728 Posts
    • 43,685 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Potato ladies - I feel I ought to know this, but I call upon your combined wisdom... if I were to peel and chop potatoes tomorrow evening for cooking on Friday evening, can I coat them in oil to stop them from browning, or will only putting them in water suffice?

Have given up the purchasing of all potato products as we now get sacks of spuds from the farm shop at stupidly low prices (£2 for 12.5kg anyone? ) - and Friday night dinner involves homemade chips, but I'm pretty time poor and starving on a Friday by the time I'm home! I was hoping I could have them oven ready tomorrow night by coating them in a teaspoon of oil and garlic granules tomorrow to speed things up on Friday.
    Originally posted by Bumblebear
    I think it will work if you par boil the spuds (which will also speed up Friday night's dinner) and make sure they are dry before adding the coating.

I haven't bought potatoes for ages, am pretty shocked by the price of them now. £2 for 12.5kg is a bargain for anyone with a big family and space to store. My parents used to buy a sack and send us kids into the garage whenever we needed some. I used to be terrified of coming across a spider in the sack

Try aloo paratha - a bit like Irish potato bread, but much tastier! It's relatively quick to prepare if you have leftover boiled potatoes and know what you are doing.

ETA: resolves to make some for Mother's Day brunch.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 22nd Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 969 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Yes, you could peel/chop them and leave in water till needed. Just remember to rinse thoroughly to get rid of the starch and pat dry before adding oil/flavourings.

Wish I could get spuds for such a good price!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too
    Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    • Bumblebear
    • By Bumblebear 22nd Mar 17, 6:18 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    Bumblebear
    Thank you VFM and Yorks I will let you know if it works!

I must admit, these ones were only £2 as they were starting to sprout. I have de-sprouted all of them, put them somewhere cool and dark, and trying to use them up quickly. Accepting that a couple may go direct to compost. Off to try MrsLurcherWalker's potato cakes to freeze as well. We've previously got 25kg for £9, had to chuck a few in the composting but still incredible value. DH is a complete convert; I keep ours in the shed and send him out to bring in a week's supply at a time (because I'm petrified of spiders too!). The 25kg lasted us from September to March - and that was deliberately eating tatty heavy meals. It's just the two of us (actually, just me most of the week as DH is posted to the other side of the country during the week).
    • katkin
    • By katkin 22nd Mar 17, 7:05 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 6,653 Thanks
    katkin
    I'm torturing myself reading thread as I've given up potatoes for lent. Surprised I've stuck to it so far.

Tend to buy little quantities when needed, though I realise it's not the cheapest way to do it, it enables me to keep them on topic haha as in planned so I don't eat too many too often.

Still it's lovely to read and research new ideas. After Easter I'll be eating lots of potatoes I reckon!

Not made Boulangere potatoes in ages, really easy and good for not needing anything fancy, just stock, garlic, herbs you have and onions. They make a meal on their own made with bits and bobs needing used up like bacon, peppers and mushrooms etc. Add eggs for the last 10-15 mins of baking for a one dish meal.

Potato bravas is another favourite that is good with eggs added on top. I've also added salmon fillets on bravas and baked.
    • Bumblebear
    • By Bumblebear 22nd Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    Bumblebear
    Oh bless you, Katkin - does that include sweet potatoes? I've previously given up white potatoes for 2 months on a strict diet but did allow sweet potatoes. My favourite was a rosti type thing as part of a quick dinner or weekend brunch. I've given up lie ins for lent this year, easier than potatoes
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,059Posts Today

10,257Users online

Martin's Twitter