Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • too_much_debt
    • By too_much_debt 13th Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    • 3,152Posts
    • 4,518Thanks
    too_much_debt
    Ebay postage question/query
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    Ebay postage question/query 13th Mar 17 at 8:03 AM
    Hi

I bought an item for 10 a while ago, decided I no longer wanted it so listed it on Ebay starting bid 99p with 2.85 postage. Listing ended over the weekend and sold for 49.00. I specified 1st Class post.

As it's gone for a lot more than expected (I thought about 15-20) should I send 1st class still or should I send 1st Class Recorded? I am unsure as I think if it goes missing anyway they will only refund me what I paid for the item (10), not the 49 it sold for.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do please? Thanks in advance.

TMD
    Sealed Pot Challenge #64
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#000080]Long Haul Supporter #147
    SP - 43
Page 1
    • November2
    • By November2 13th Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    November2
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    Not quite sure why you're deliberating as recorded delivery isn't expensive. So, yes definitely send recorded delivery that way buyer can't pretend they've not received it. If you send by just 1st class buyer can just open a not received case and you would automatically lose.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 5,806 Posts
    • 4,556 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    I think if it goes missing anyway they will only refund me what I paid for the item (10), not the 49 it sold for.
    Its worth what it sold for. How would they know what you paid for it?
    For a 49 item I would pay the extra few pounds for signed for.

• soolin
    • By soolin 13th Mar 17, 8:49 AM
    • 58,587 Posts
    • 41,464 Thanks
    soolin
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:49 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:49 AM
    The sticky postage thread covers this issue, as a private seller on ebay (I assume) you would expect to be covered by the ebay selling price)

Recorded has been replaced by signed for which is an additional 1.10. It is not really suitable for paypal as in many areas it never shows as delivered, but it is useful in that it increases the 'insurance' on lost items from 20-50 .
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • too_much_debt
    • By too_much_debt 13th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    too_much_debt
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    Not quite sure why you're deliberating as recorded delivery isn't expensive. So, yes definitely send recorded delivery that way buyer can't pretend they've not received it. If you send by just 1st class buyer can just open a not received case and you would automatically lose.
    Originally posted by November2
    Thanks for your reply! I am not querying the cost, I am querying the fact that I specified 1st Class and if I send Recorded and they are not in they will have to go and collect it from their sorting office (it might be an inconvenience).

As a buyer would you leave neg/neutral feedback to a seller sending something by a different postage method? Although really I am just upgrading.

Thanks!

TMD
    Sealed Pot Challenge #64
    SP - 43
    • too_much_debt
    • By too_much_debt 13th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    too_much_debt
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    Its worth what it sold for. How would they know what you paid for it?
    For a 49 item I would pay the extra few pounds for signed for.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Thanks for your reply. I am not querying the cost, just wondering if the buyer would be annoyed if they were not in and had to go and collect it and whether they would leave neutral/neg feedback for it. I know buyers would not be happy if a listing specified 1st class and it was send 2nd class so wondered if the same applied for 1st class being send 1st Recorded.

I am sure when I claimed once before the form asked for evidence of what I paid for it but that might have been on my old business account, can't remember now as I stopped selling as a business over 6 years ago.

Thanks.

TMD
    Sealed Pot Challenge #64
    SP - 43
    • too_much_debt
    • By too_much_debt 13th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 4,518 Thanks
    too_much_debt
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    The sticky postage thread covers this issue, as a private seller on ebay (I assume) you would expect to be covered by the ebay selling price)

Recorded has been replaced by signed for which is an additional 1.10. It is not really suitable for paypal as in many areas it never shows as delivered, but it is useful in that it increases the 'insurance' on lost items from 20-50 .
    Originally posted by soolin
    Thanks Soolin! Will read the sticky on postage.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #64
    SP - 43
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 13th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 3,650 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    Thanks for your reply! I am not querying the cost, I am querying the fact that I specified 1st Class and if I send Recorded and they are not in they will have to go and collect it from their sorting office (it might be an inconvenience).

As a buyer would you leave neg/neutral feedback to a seller sending something by a different postage method? Although really I am just upgrading.

Thanks!

TMD
    Originally posted by too_much_debt
    I think you need to look at it this way. Would you rather send it recorded when you said 1st? Or send it 1st and lose 49 because it got lost in the post? I think you are worrying over nothing because it is still going by the service specified. I think you would be crazy to send something worth 50 by a service that you have no chance of knowing if it got there or not. Personally I'd be considering Special Delivery or a courier as recorded is not that reliable tracking wise.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Mar 17, 9:36 AM
    • 58,587 Posts
    • 41,464 Thanks
    soolin
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:36 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:36 AM

Thanks!

TMD
    That's a point actually, we have had buyers on here state they would leave poor feedback for someone who changed the postage method on them. However, I think that's rare and would perhaps would decide depending on the size of the item.

If it is small enough to go through a letter box then I might not upgrade on the basis it might force a buyer to go to the Mail Centre to collect it. If however the buyer already needed to be in to accept a large parcel then I might risk upgrading.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 13th Mar 17, 9:37 AM
    • 2,941 Posts
    • 1,713 Thanks
    ballisticbrian

eBay's policy is to send it at least signed for or tracked. End of story. There are some people noses put out if you charge for "postage and PACKING" and the packaging is used. It takes all sorts.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Mar 17, 10:10 AM
    • 5,806 Posts
    • 4,556 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I am not querying the cost, just wondering if the buyer would be annoyed if they were not in and had to go and collect it and whether they would leave neutral/neg feedback for it. I know buyers would not be happy if a listing specified 1st class and it was send 2nd class so wondered if the same applied for 1st class being send 1st Recorded.
    I've added signed for to items listed without it and never had a complaint. I've also received items where this has been added and although it might be a minor inconvenience I've never thought the seller was wrong to add it.
    Since my sorting office moved to a distant location with very poor parking I arrange re-delivery online. If a customer does complain about collecting the item suggest this as an option.

• john2054
    • By john2054 2nd Apr 17, 9:37 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    john2054
    For something of that value, i would send it fully insured. Sure it will cost you a few more pence, but then you know they will get it. If you only track it, the buyer can still file a not received notice, and there is nothing you can do about it. And no proof of postage, is not enough! It has to be insured, if you want to make sure it gets there, im afraid!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 2nd Apr 17, 10:08 PM
    • 10,301 Posts
    • 6,914 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    For something of that value, i would send it fully insured. Sure it will cost you a few more pence, but then you know they will get it. If you only track it, the buyer can still file a not received notice, and there is nothing you can do about it. And no proof of postage, is not enough! It has to be insured, if you want to make sure it gets there, im afraid!
    Originally posted by john2054
    Tracking is tracking.

You seem to be ill-advised or perhaps have recently lost a case because of lack of your action.

If an INR is opened and the seller has POD (that's proof of delivery, to be clear for you) then (as long as the seller adds the tracking/POD and the case is escalated) the seller will win.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,379Posts Today

13,005Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin