Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 13th Mar 17, 7:58 AM
    • 1,313Posts
    • 143Thanks
    adonis10
    Best non-apple lightning charger
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:58 AM
    Best non-apple lightning charger 13th Mar 17 at 7:58 AM
    So, so many out there meaning I am really struggling to decide. Don't want to pay Apple prices but also don't want to pay £2 from Amazon and have it burn my house down!

Recommendations?
Page 1
    • Steve251
    • By Steve251 13th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Steve251
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    Duracell
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    Hi

I run a computer repair and support business and we sell batteries and chargers.
    I have deal with the same supplier for these items for about 18 years because it is important to me that I never buy a fake and believe me there are lots out there. Apple recently bought 100 chargers from Amazon and 90 were fake. The thought of someone getting electrocuted or their house burning down fills me with fear.

I have found the Duracell charger with the lightning connector to be good value.
    It is only a charger and you cannot use it for data transfer.

Good luck

Steve
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 13th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    The genuine Apple ones are only £5.49 at 7DayShop.

https://www.7dayshop.com/brand/apple

I've found other brands are a bit hit and miss.
    • Steve251
    • By Steve251 13th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Steve251
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    Too cheap
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    Hi,

I am sorry but I would doubt that these are genuine chargers.
    The risk of a fak charger is electroction and fire

Not worth the risk in my opinion

Steve
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 13th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    The genuine Apple ones are only £5.49 at 7DayShop.

https://www.7dayshop.com/brand/apple

I've found other brands are a bit hit and miss.
    Originally posted by chrisw
    Have to agree with Steve, I very much doubt that these are genuine.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 13th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    These are genuine. 7dayshop is a reputable UK (Guernsey) based company.
    Last edited by chrisw; 13-03-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 13th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    adonis10
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    These are genuine. 7dayshop is a reputable UK (Guernsey) based company.
    Originally posted by chrisw
    Says who? Kinda hard to trust a random website. I cannot see any reviews for the item which makes me suspicious.
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 13th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    • 5,048 Posts
    • 168,405 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    I bought one of these from Currys/PC world (in store) for my iphone and it seems fine, the cable is sturdy.

Price £7.99

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/audio/mp3-accessories/iwantit-iln1c13x-usb-to-lightning-sync-and-charge-cable-20948671-pdt.html
    Weight on 01/08/15 - 17st 5lb
    Target weight - 10st
    Target reached - 20/05/17

"Greatest Loser" for SW group 2016 & 2017

Woman of the year award 2016
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    • 2,433 Posts
    • 2,461 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    Says who? Kinda hard to trust a random website. I cannot see any reviews for the item which makes me suspicious.
    Originally posted by adonis10
    7dayshop are a well-known online retailer and have been around for a long time. They're not just a "random website".
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 13th Mar 17, 3:19 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    EdwardB
    The £5.49 product is NOT a lightning charger, there are however two lighting chargers at 10w and 12w for £8.59 and £9.69 respectively.

Apple cables lightning cables will prevent the £5.49 product providing any meaningful charge.

I do not care if the other 2 are fake or not, just that they work, we all know that buying Apple is a grab your ankles and think of Jobs affair. They charge £19 for a 12w charger and a further and equally painful £19 for the lightning cable.

What I can say is that the reviews on those pages are meaningless and probably fake, by fake I mean they are NOT listing all their reviews, only the 4 and 5 star reviews. They also read as fake in a Filipino English sort of way (you will understand this if you have ever employed any as I have). They should move to Trustpilot, they do have a 3 star rating there and no negative reviews on Apple chargers. most seem to be about poor delivery.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.7dayshop.com

I do not consider an item a fake if it is not Apple, to me a fake Apple Iphone charger is something pretending to be Apple, with Apple logos. There are plenty of wideos about fake iphone chargers on YouTube but silent one shows a few cosmetic differences. What is NOT clear is whether these were sold as alternatives or genuine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DXGSGCZaiw

As always you pays your money and takes your choice, the OP said they did NOT want to pay Apple RIP OFF prices and who can blame them.

I would like to see someone buy these two lightning products and compare them against actual Apple products with proper electronics measuring output etc.

This product costs under £15 with cable at 7dayshop vs £38 at Apple

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/apple-a1401-12w-usb-mains-charger-1m-cable-bundle-wh2-12wbundle

7Dayshop are visible open, use expensive web technology which is a good sign, not just some outfit hiding behind a website.

Jon Sandilands
    7dayshop.com
    Pitronnerie Road
    St Peter Port
    Guernsey
    Channel Islands
    GY1 2RN
    01481 818777
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 13th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 12,957 Posts
    • 11,033 Thanks
    paddyrg
    If it reassures, 7 Day Shop are legit, used them for over a decade now. Never disappointed by their quality
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Mar 17, 6:31 PM
    • 12,281 Posts
    • 16,444 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I just use a genuine Lightning cable in any high power usb charger. I've got several of different brands: Apple, Bose, Linx etc.

I didn't realise there was such a thing as a specific Lightning charger.

I've been buying stuff from 7dayshop since they opened in 2000 and not had any problems.

Edit: Just seen pot 11 above.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 13-03-2017 at 6:36 PM.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Rubidium
    • By Rubidium 14th Mar 17, 9:43 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Rubidium
    The £5.49 product is NOT a lightning charger, there are however two lighting chargers at 10w and 12w for £8.59 and £9.69 respectively.

Apple cables lightning cables will prevent the £5.49 product providing any meaningful charge.
    Originally posted by EdwardB
    (Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

There is no such thing as a Lightning charger.

Lightning refers to the Apple proprietary data and power cable connector.

The 5W charger will charge just fine and is what Apple supply with iPhones.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 14-03-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Inappropriate posting
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 14th Mar 17, 11:13 PM
    • 6,723 Posts
    • 2,922 Thanks
    buglawton
    How to recognise fake ones
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2312325/check-your-iphone-charger-now-because-fakes-could-burn-down-your-home/
    Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too. –Steve Martin
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 14th Mar 17, 11:58 PM
    • 11,172 Posts
    • 6,211 Thanks
    Strider590
    Well a cheap cable isn't going to burn the house down and any high output USB charger should work.

Anker do some pretty decent high output chargers for sub £10, that would be my choice.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • imho
    • By imho 15th Mar 17, 6:23 AM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    imho
    I bought this one from Amazon after buying a life time gauarantee one that lasted 2 hours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Apple-Certified-Lightning-Cable/dp/B010S9M3L6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1489558803&sr=8-3&keywords=Amazon%2BiPad%2Bcharger&th=1

My neighbour has the same one and used it for over a year.

I bought the 6ft length as found the 3 ft not long enough.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 15th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    • 12,957 Posts
    • 11,033 Thanks
    paddyrg
    Well a cheap cable isn't going to burn the house down
    Originally posted by Strider590
    One I bought in Cairo had a damn good try!
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 15th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    EdwardB
    Well a cheap cable isn't going to burn the house down and any high output USB charger should work.

Anker do some pretty decent high output chargers for sub £10, that would be my choice.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Strider590, I have seen from other posts that you have some knowledge in this power area, have you done any testing on these chargers and the voltage they carry?

As the OP Title uses the term Lightning Charger it is easy to use that term just to refer to the newer chargers for devices with the lightning connector. Certainly less of a mouthful than "Lightning Connector compatitble charger", perhaps easier to refer to them as 5w 10w and 12w where 5w is for the older iphone era devices, 10w for the newer iphone era devices (that have lightning connectors and the 12w iPad era devices.

When people I am close to got new lightning cables there arrived a lot of converters from old to new. They found 3rd party chargers did not charge in any reasonable length of time. the page below explained this as being an amperage issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3511

However, it was also noticed Apple put some kit in the Lightning cable and some speculated it was to prevent 3rd party chargers working so to keep up the price of their own charges and cables.

http://gizmodo.com/5945889/some-third-party-adapters-might-not-work-with-your-new-iphone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNe17lO5ewA

Explained best here

https://www.chipworks.com/about-chipworks/overview/blog/inside-apple-lightning-cable

Power regulation is one thing, but secret handshakes to lock out competition, sounds antitrust to me, ironic since Apple would be out of business if it was not for an antitrust donation from Microsoft.

You really have to love Apple, I remember when the iPod touch came out and they disabled the bluetooth chip to stop people using it as a phone with VPN's.

Personally I think it is fine to buy a 3rd party charger but perhaps avoid the counterfeit that pretends to be Apple or is Apple lookalike.

This is a good comparison of 3rd party chargers

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html

The HP comes out best, shame it will will not work on the Apple

[6] The chargers use specific voltages on the data pins to indicate the charger type to the device being charged. Because of this, an "incorrect" charger may be rejected by an iPhone with the message "Charging is not supported with this accessory".[7] Under the USB standard, a charger should short the two data pins together to indicate that it's a "dedicated" charger and not a real USB device. However, companies such as Apple, HP, and Sony have their own proprietary nonstandard techniques. The following table summarizes the voltages that appear on the D+ and D- lines for different chargers, and how the D+ and D- lines are configured internally.

Most of this data is based on Maxim USB Battery Charger Detectors, Adafruit's The mysteries of Apple device charging, TouchPad's USB Cable, XDA forum (Samsung), and TPS2511 USB Dedicated Charging Port Controller and Current Limiting Power Switch datasheet. The Apple 2A (i.e. iPad) information is a new result from my measurements. For details on USB charging protocols, see my references in my earlier posting.

Amusingly, semiconductor manufacturers have recently introduced chips that allow chargers to sequentially pretend to be different proprietary chargers until they trick the device into accepting the charger. It seems crazy that companies (such as Apple) design incompatible chargers, and then chip companies invent schemes to work around these incompatibilities in order to build universally compatible chargers. Two example chips are the TI TPS 2511 chip, and SMSC's USC1001 controller, which pretends to be nine different charger types.
    Originally posted by Ken Shirriff
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 15th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 12,957 Posts
    • 11,033 Thanks
    paddyrg
    Just to pipe in (because I don't know), but do Apple support anything similar to Qualcomm Quick Charge 3? It means (compatible) phones can negotiate a charge at 5v, 9v or 12v or frankly any voltage in between. On my phones it's changed charging from overnight to an hour or so.
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 15th Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    leslieknope
    i use anker: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Lightning-Connector-Certified-Ultra-High/dp/B00UBLOJJG/ref=sr_1_1?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1489588612&sr=1-1

they're not the cheapest but a lot cheaper than apple. and the extra long cable means i can use my phone in bed have been using them for about 4 years now and no house burning incidents so far...
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,904Posts Today

5,468Users online

Martin's Twitter