Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 6,444Posts
    • 36,778Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 13/03
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 13/03 13th Mar 17 at 7:38 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £2874.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2919.06/Roadkill £8.58
    SFDs Sept 7/18 CC saved £2372.50 Veg grown £376.20
Page 7
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 19th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    • 3,834 Posts
    • 23,964 Thanks
    allydowd
    So, as it's DW's brthday weekend we are going away now for two nights to the Isle of Arran. We found a bargain B&B to stay in. The one thing we said we'd do when we were debt free was travel more often.

We looked at using an Airbnb but it was the same price as a regular B&B and the place we've chosen also comes with breakfast so it is a better deal.

The plan is to spend the time photogra-faffing. We are hoping to spot otters this time, we know where they live, we just have to get lucky! We did the costings and it will be cheaper to take the car over with us than use the buses for three days, so that's what we're doing. We've been over a gazillion times but never taken the car so this will make a change and it'll give us access to the remoter spots.

Taking a flask and plenty of snacks with us.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £1700
    Survey Rewards 2017: £100
    Swim for Sanity: 4000m
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 19th Mar 17, 9:02 AM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 8,562 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    could this be the day I actually list some things on fleabay? Highly unlikely but one can hope...
    Originally posted by determined new ms

Likewise. I challenge you to list one thing. and I accept the counter challenge!!
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 19th Mar 17, 9:11 AM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 8,562 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning!

Had a cracking sleep, although I am still waking up stupidly early (5.12am today). Still I feel chirpy so that's good. Must be awake as I got up and made a huge pan of soup at 6am!

Today's plan:
    • B/L/D from stores
    • Charge phone in work
    • Run at lunchtime - nope. Is very windy. Don't like running through the woods in windy weather. Get worried a branch might drop on me
    • Free stretching videos
    • Crochet NEW commission
    • List one Ebay item! - am looking at you too DNMS!
    • Reconcile budget with OH
    • No alcohol - I have my off weeks, but my drinking habits are definitely changing for the better. It's a slow curve, but an upward one
    • Early night
    Standard type of day.

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 19-03-2017 at 1:21 PM.

• angelpye
    • By angelpye 19th Mar 17, 9:44 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,667 Thanks
    angelpye
    Morning all,

Hope you are all having a lovely weekend. Its been pretty grey and cold here which I always find a bit of a shock after a couple of lovely days.

Anyway, today:
    *Washing mountain
    *Vacuum
    *Paperwork Shuffle
    *Clean bathroom
    *Out to gym with DD
    *DIY store for manure and strimmer wheel
    *Garden prep for raspberries.
    *All food from home
    *Meal plan and SuperM

Hope you all have a great day!
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 19th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 2,437 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    morning moneysavers
    Have been getting rid of the last bits of my cold-still have a cough and sniffling but feel like I have my energy back, and I don't have the headache anymore that tagged along with it.
    have just taken things easy, yesterday I got mount ironing Everest under control-felt better for being productive.
    also dropped my daughter off to her driving lesson and picked her up after. Then enjoyed the rest of the day with a good book which I haven't done for ages.

since I've mentioned pegs the weather has been awful, the heating is still kicking in in the evenings so today will do a radiator shuffle
    School uniform to wash
    Maybe abit more ironing Everest
    Pet cleaning to sort out in a minute
    Hoover downstairs and wash the kitchen floor
    Last of the March birthday presents to wrap and parcel up-have been putting this off
    Def going to be a NSD today, which I'm happy about as my spending has been creeping up.
    Hope you are feeling okay CCL and things don't develop into a full blown cold for you-it's a nasty one
    ALLY-the Isle of Arran sounds great, I've never been, I like the sound of the otters
    FVD-I hope everything has settled down after the dentist. I think when we go for a nap and crash out, it's the body letting us know that it needed the rest.
    Have a great Sunday everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 19th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 4,498 Posts
    • 34,357 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Ally I hope you and your DW have a lovely weekend. I would love to go to the Isle of Arran
    DNMS, go on, take up CLF's challenge and list one item - it only takes a couple of minutes if you use the phone app

Right, for me today:
    Clean / tidy up as we have visitors this afternoon. OH will help Done
    Load of washing to dry on airer later (after visitors, they don't want to sit staring at DS's washing on display while they are here ). Sadly it is windy and rainy again today, so pegging it outside isn't an option It actually did go out for a while, and is on the airer to finish off overnight now
    Make a batch of cheese and chives scones - I have just totally made that up I am determined to use the fresh herbs from the garden, so will make cheese scones and stir in some chopped chives. Haven't done this before so will report back This will offer a savoury alternative for visitors to the lemon drizzle cakes I made last night - I have never actually met anyone who doesn't like lemon drizzle cake, but I suppose there is always a first time They turned out really well, and the visitors ended up having both options Just snipped washed and dried chives from the garden into short lengths and added to the scone mixture before I added the liquid
    Frittata for dinner tonight (just OH and I, visitors are only popping in for a cuppa, and DS is still away). This will use up 2 massive goose eggs that DD gifted, and some peppers lurking in the fridge! Ended up finishing off quiche made a couple of days ago instead
    Pack a couple of ebay items that have been paid for, ready to post tomorrow Chase non-paying buyer AGAIN. It is so annoying when people do that, especially for items with lots of watchers which may well have sold to someone else who would pay Chased non paying buyer again, mentioned I would raise a non payment case with ebay if not paid or let me know they want to cancel by Tuesday (in order to have final value fee refunded). Haven't wrapped other items yet, will do in the morning as I don't fancy paddling down to the garage in the dark and rain to look for suitable boxes!
    Dog walk later Done, despite rain, and he didn't complain
    Found a 1p coin on the pavement while out
    Business paperwork - I have now got as far as printing the necessary stuff out! Now done

Hope everyone has a good day
    Last edited by DawnW; 19-03-2017 at 9:35 PM.
    Grocery spends for September £143.05 / £160.00 (includes milkman's bill)
    SFDs for September 5/18
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 19th Mar 17, 10:14 AM
    • 3,330 Posts
    • 28,603 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    I didn't have a good sleep last night but I still feel ok this morning - usually Sunday is a 'sit-on-my-bum' day, but today I'm off to visit a friend of mine who I haven't seen for a couple of years. It will be lovely to catch up with her.
    I've been up since about 7am properly, and made my to-do list. I've also done a load of washing, washed the dishes, hoovered through and mopped the kitchen floor. I also really want to finish my latest blanket but I'm not sure that I'll get far as I'm out and about. We'll see how much I can get done before I go.
    Won't be a nsd as I want to get a present for my friend, and I need petrol but other than that...
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 19th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    Morning all
    Rubbish weather here. I've bought a half price ticket for some local caves, might use today. Feeling lazy.
    - bumped my Facebook posts
    - bought MIL a bear for Mothers Day on eBat
    - relisted one eBay item.
    - I'm going to bag up some small value items for the CS as they are annoying me now and can't be bothered bumping!
    Nothing much else going on today, LP x
    Womble #28 £2,291.29
    Pay off all debts by Xmas 2017 #40 £3465/£5865 Christmas 2017 Saving #11 £89/365
    Competition wins £11,840

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 19th Mar 17, 11:31 AM
    • 4,814 Posts
    • 18,759 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Morning all!

I had a good nights sleep last night, Happy Kitties, the dentist said that the adrenalin rush of having a tooth out subsiding will make you feel a bit bleugh and she was right!

I'm not in so much pain today though my cheek is still very swollen, I will take a couple of painkillers then feel right as rain.

I need to collect some boxes from the supermarket and some cat food which I didn't buy from the local one as they never seem to have the offers there on pet foods. I will restock the fridge with a few lunchtime snacks for the teens as they appear to have eaten most of the stuff I bought on Friday. I'm not going overboard though as I can usuall get some YS sandwiches each venting for the following day.

I paid a fine that DSGF accrued on the train when she didn't have a ticket. She didn't ask me too, she has been working to get the money to pay it but as soon as she has enough it goes up again so she's constantly chasing it. She's working so hard at the moment for a pittance and I wanted her to b able to start with a clean sheet as it were.

I have a smallish ash get mountain to get through, more of a hillock, and some asking up that has been soaking overnight to do but after that I'm going to sort and rearrange the garden store a little, cut back my salvias and chop up the dead bit of bramble that's growing across the roof of the store (I tackled it at its root some months ago so it's dead and loose but I've been putting off chopping it for the bin.)

Cat's breakfast, cup of tea then supermarket. I wish I could go to the supermarket in my pyjamas, it would be so much easier than getting dressed just for that one thing
    Lunches brought to work in September 6/20 Money saved to date £13.07 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal.)

Make £10 a day in September £355.84/300 (August£223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 19th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 4,814 Posts
    • 18,759 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Aplgies for the gibberish, damned autocorrect!
    Lunches brought to work in September 6/20 Money saved to date £13.07 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal.)

Make £10 a day in September £355.84/300 (August£223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 19th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 3,834 Posts
    • 23,964 Thanks
    allydowd
    Morning all
    Ally I hope you and your DW have a lovely weekend. I would love to go to the Isle of Arran
    Originally posted by DawnW
    We are lucky to live not far from the port. I'm currently using the free ferry Wifi. The ferry is quite cheap compared to many in the UK. It was our first time driving onto the ferry in the car, so we were curious to see how that worked, but it was ok and we're now up in the lounge in the warm with a flask.

We stopped off at Asda en route for snacks.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £1700
    Survey Rewards 2017: £100
    Swim for Sanity: 4000m
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 19th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 8,562 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Aplgies for the gibberish, damned autocorrect!
    Originally posted by FatVonD

Aplgies accepted

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 19th Mar 17, 2:39 PM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 8,562 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Another enquiry about a commission

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 19th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 4,814 Posts
    • 18,759 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I'm feeling dreadful, not as in toothache related pain but have a sore throat and just feel generally worn out, I think I might have overdone it in the garden earlier without eating and drinking enough as started to feel faint. I was supposed to go to bingo with my mum tonight but I have had to cancel, I've not even got dressed! (I took the bins out and drove DSGF to work in my pyjamas with DS's parka over the top )

I didn't make it to the supermarket at all but DS is going down shortly for me, it won't be very MSE but I just don't have the energy for it!

I managed to cut back the rest of my salvias and a little nemesia I saved from the 'nearly dead' table has made it through the winter and is flowering! One of my 'nearly dead' table wallflowers is in flower too though the other has gone to the great compost heap in the sky. (I do love a bargain plant!)

There's no signs of life from the chilli plant, I've cut it back and will wait to see what happens, probably nothing. Both my skimmia are flowering and smell heavenly, they've been given prime position for now. The clematis has lots of new growth and the wisteria is showing signs of awakening though I didn't prune it at all let alone correctly so I'll be amazed (but delighted) if it flowers!

Hope you are all having a lovely Sunday

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 19th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 8,562 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Ebay item listed!

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 19th Mar 17, 5:54 PM
    • 4,814 Posts
    • 18,759 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I think I've mentioned in the past how rubbish I am at growing stuff from seed I attempted to grow antirhinums last year as I wanted just white ones and the garden centres only seemed to have mixed trays. From all that I sowed just ONE made it to adulthood, and it was yellow

Well, it's made it through the winter to remind me again what a disaster I made of it all

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 19th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 6,444 Posts
    • 36,778 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I think I've mentioned in the past how rubbish I am at growing stuff from seed I attempted to grow antirhinums last year as I wanted just white ones and the garden centres only seemed to have mixed trays. From all that I sowed just ONE made it to adulthood, and it was yellow

Well, it's made it through the winter to remind me again what a disaster I made of it all
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    or to remind you when life doesn't turn out how you expected it can still be resilient and beautiful?
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 19th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 6,444 Posts
    • 36,778 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Ebay item listed!
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    hangs head in shame...

well the night is still young!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 19th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    • 3,330 Posts
    • 28,603 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Oh I've had a lovely day. My friend is marvellous, and I love her. She'd put on a surprise afternoon tea for me and I got the grand tour of her new home, complete with farm outbuildings etc. Beautiful.
    My blanket just needs the edges sewing in and a border.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 19th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 34,585 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

Busy/productive weekend. Quite a bit of rubbish taken to the tip/charity shop. An elderly neighbour gave me some Spode dishes years ago, they are not worth anything on fleabay and I dont really like them that much. Decided they could go to the cs, just have this hope that they go with a set that someone already has and they love them. Better than sitting in a box in my cupboard.

Left the £1 that I keep in my gym bag in the locker door at the gym on Friday. Really annoyed with myself about this. DS has a friend who helps out at the gym and he told me that they make a fortune out of this. That really didnt make me feel any better.

Hope you feel better soon FVD and have a lovely time Ally. Going to make a cuppa and pjs on I think.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,702Posts Today

5,078Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin